Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

ATF flush: step-by-step

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 04:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rspi
Sooooooooooooooooooooo, what's your point? Are you asking if you can rebuild your transmission? Are you asking if you can get the car on ramps and take something apart and replace a filter?

Have you gotten under the car and spotted a leak? Is the transmission slipping? How is the fluid and level?
My point is.... curiosity keeps me alive. I am no cat.

I was not asking about rebuilding the transmission. I was asking about transmission "filter kits", which most auto parts stores sell for most vehicles, containing a gasket (or two) and filter. It appears that a filter kit exists for this vehicle, but the filter would be rather difficult to change.

I finally put the car on ramps today and got a look at the belly of this beast. It seems that the gasket is for some pan that's closer to the front of the vehicle, near the bumper... or the crossmember... either one. It appears that it could be replaced, but there's no "wet" liquid below that pan.

I guess that it's leaking from the passenger's side CV joint. I already replaced the driver's side, because it was clicking when I bought it... but didn't think much about the other side.

Let it drain what it could. On a scale of how black the tranny fluid was, on a scale from 1 to 10, I'd give it a 6. I realized that the plug was magnetic, so I cleaned that off. I spent an hour (OR MORE) looking for a magnetic drain plug for this car. Knowing that it's already on there, I can understand why there's no need for an easily accessible filter, after-market in-line filter, etc. Filled her up. Shifted gears for a minute or two. Drove around for 30 min. Topped her off by reading the lowest mark on either side (which I guess there was a large discrepancy due to excess from filling thru the dipstick tube??).

I guess I'll do that one more time in the near future...

But how to stop the right cv joint from leaking??? I'm assuming there's a gasket/o-ring for that??

Old 02-04-2012, 09:02 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

There is a good chance that you have a steering rack leaking. It has tranny fluid in it.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently bought a 2000 V70XC with auto trans issues for dirt cheap. when cold, all was OK, but drive it about 5-6 miles and it would lose all drive. Shut it off, let sit for a few hours, and all OK for another 5-6 miles. Drained and flushed/refilled 3 times while running on jackstands with all 4 wheels off the ground for 20+ miles. At each drain/fill cycle, fluid was cleaner but still stinky and full of what looked like fine black muck. Better, but still losing drive occasionally. Code said inop solenoid. Installed remote filter in line from cooler to trans with ultra fine "Purolator Pure One" filter. Easy to install; cut line with sharp razor, plumb in line with 3/8 hose barbs, use existing threaded hole in side of "frame rail" (6mm? 8mm? forget which) to mount filter bracket . Cleared codes and trans now seems to work OK. Spin on filter is easy to change, will change after 100 miles or so.