Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Battery charging

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery charging

Hello all,
I have a 96 850 that keeps eating batteries.I have gone through the usual checks for this problem, but one thing that keeps popping up,and making me think that there is more to this than will just show it's head,is the BATTERY LIGHT STAYS ON FOR A SECOND WHEN THE CAR IS SHUT OFF.I am sure that this is the key to my problem because it seems to do this only when I am going to have trouble in a couple of days with starting. Please, all I am after here is finding someone who has dealt with this same anomoly. My first instinct is the voltage regulator, but I hate to replace the altenator , just to find that was not the problem. Again, all is fine until this light stays on, and within 2 days I have drained the battery.Thanks for anyones help.It is greatly appreciated

Old 05-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Battery charging

Elaborate on what checks you actually did.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Output on the alternator is supposed to be something like 13.3-13.8V

Old 05-09-2007, 05:50 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Greetings,

>BATTERY LIGHT STAYS ON FOR A SECOND WHEN THE CAR IS SHUT OFF.
As to this condition, my battery light stays on for a second after shut-down, with no electrical problem (and with a new Interstate battery & rebuilt Bosch alternator). I assume the light is probably doing its job.

I would liketo know the following, if you could provide us:

1. The age of the battery (generally, a battery lasts between 3 to 5 years, depending on how it's handled).
2. Brand name of the battery (cheap, generic units fail prematurely).
3. Voltage of the battery with the engine running (as axelm has stated, the voltage should be above the battery voltage when the engine is running, sometimes it could be as high as14.5V).
4. Voltage of the battery with the engine off (I assume it is slowly dropping). It should be 12.2-13V.
5. Result of specific gravity test (it is a good investment to get an S.G tester, only a few dollars at auto parts stores).

With your description, I can only assume that either the battery is in poor condition and cannot hold charge, or if the battery is good, there may be a parasitic drain somewhere. I once had battery drain problem and in this case the culprit was the glove box light. I assume the alternator is probably fine, otherwise the car would have died and never rebooted. If the voltage reg is shot, you would have noticed changes in brightness of lights, blower fan speed, etc as you revved the engine.

I'll wait for your reply & findings.

JPN