Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

BIG PROBLEMS NOW!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG PROBLEMS NOW!!

[sm=headbang.gif] Tech or any body who may have had this problem!! I was driving the car to work after I replaced the oil and flame traps and noticed some white smoke about 10 minutes into the drive. I thought it might have been from some of the oil dropping and hitting the hot exhaust pipe since I had not changed the rear main seal yet as we were speaking about. Well, I gave the car some gas to pass another car up and noticed more white smoke upon speeding up. At the time I was going to pull over to check it out the car just shut down and would not re-start. I opened the hood and noticed some oil on the radiator fan and some of the surrounding components (alternator, oil dipstick etc.) and could not detect where it had come from. It looked like it had been splattered or something.

Neverthrless, got it towed home and started with the first thing I could think of that just made the car stop like it did (timing belt). Well on my way to getting the car at TDC to check the timing, I took out all the plugs and noticed oil on all of them which would explain the white smoke. Keep in mind the car only has 85000 actual miles on it, this is why I went for the timing belt first because I did not change it since I got it about 2 months ago and I don't think the seller ever did it. I looked down the head where the plugs screw in and oily on top of the piston as well. Getting back to the timing, it was on the mark everywhere so that was not what made it shut down (which is good no bent valves). I am guessing the reason it shut down and would not re-start was due to the oil fouling the plugs?

Sooooo, why all the oil all of a sudden when the car ran super up until now and from where? The Chilton repair manual says suspect worn rings or bad valve seals. Could it be anything else? What about if too much oil was put in the engine by mistake, would this cause this problem as well? If so, how do I get the excess from the intake/top of the piston area? I can drain the rest from the oil pan if that is the case with getting the level down. I also noticed when I took off the breather tube that connects the intake to the air cleaner that there was a lot of oil just sitting in there as well.

Derek (HELP, HELP, HELP!!)