Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Brake light switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 12:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake light switch

I noticed the other day while I was sitting at a red light that my brake lights didn't activate unless I put a lot of pressure on the brake pedal. I can actually stop the car without the brake lights going on, not cool. I looked on the brake pedal and noticed that there seems to be two switches oriented vertically relative to each other. Which one controls the brake light? I can't get a good picture either, always out of focus.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:17 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Brake light switch

Hello info2x,

Greetings from Chicagoland.

I just looked at Haynes' wiring diagram but could not decipher some of the devices, the diagram is almost useless.

Anyway, I believe one is the brake light switch and the other could be cruise control disengage switch. I think the brake position sensor was in the engine compartment, so it is out of the picture.

According to Haynes, there are early adjustable switch and later self-adjusting switch. If you don't have Haynes manual, you might want to get one, for $16 or so it is a good investment, though it often fails to give you sufficient instructions and likes to state "...this work should be entrusted to Volvo dealer" even for some simple procedures. Automotive repair manuals used to be about 3 inches thick, but these days they are less than an inch.

This is pretty much I can give you at the moment. I myself am a tad bit depressed tonight, as I found that the driver side strut seems to be shot, since the car is leaning about 2 inches to the left. Calculated the total cost for 4 dampers (front struts & rear shocks, both Bilstein Touring, and self-lock nuts that have to be replaced every time they are disturbed) at FCP Groton, and with shipping it'll be about $360. No Christmas for me this year. I did not see any fluid leak on the outside, so the internal seal might be gone.

Sorry for going off topic. I would try to deal with both switches and see if there is anything that looks adjustable. I'll adjust a little bit, check the operation of the brake lights, back & forth. Watch out for SRS.

Good night,

JPN

Old 11-19-2006, 03:21 AM

I agree with you on the haynes manual. I keep it in the car for emergencies and whatnot, but when I'm wrenching on the car at home I have the some of the Volvo manuals.

You are correct there are two versions of the switch having a 94 I figured I would have the early version of the switch, when I looked under the dash I noticed that there were two switches both tied to the brake pedal. They looked like both versions of the light switch which is where I got confused. Upon further inspection and with the thought of cruise control on my mind thanks to you I noticed that one had a vac line on it, which means the other switch needs to be the brake light switch. I'll work on it in the morning after I buy a small mirror as I can't get my head in a good position to see the lock nuts and whatnot.

I'll adjust it till it goes on back of a tad so it goes off and that's where I'll set it.

Following your lead and going off topic...

Why don't you just replace the front struts?

Old 11-19-2006, 11:22 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Good morning info2x,

I'm glad there seems to be a positive progress. I wish you get it adjusted asap, because as we on this forum all know, the brake lights are too important for safety. When someone follows me too close and I have to stop quick, I tap on the pedal 2-3- times before hard braking, to make sure the idiot behind me wakes up with the flashing brake lights.

I thought of replacing the rear shocks too, only because I'm a safety phobia and if the fronts are gone, the rears might be reaching their ends too. But you may be right, the rears might still have a bit more life before the rear end starts bouncing. I might think about it overnight and make a decision.

Somewhere on this forum I wrote that it is not unusual to have to spend $500-$3,000 (or more) for a car with this age + mileage to make it as good as it should be. And that's only for the parts. If we did not turn the wrenches ourselves, the repair bill would be too ugly and would have driven us insane.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts and wish you the best with the brake lights. When you buy an inspection mirror, I would buy a larger one, the one with at least 2" in diameter. I have Blue-Point mirror, but Blue-Point is usually made by third parties, rather than Snap-on, and Sears Craftsman mirrors seem to be made by the same manufacturer, and they are usually a few dollars less. (I'm a native Japanese, but I usually try to buy made in the USA as much as I can when it comes to tools).

Best wishes,

JPN

Old 11-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Adjust the brake light switch by doing the following.
press the brake pedal down with one hand and then with the other hand press the switch towards the pedal.
Then release the pedal and it should adjust by itself.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:07 PM

Ok it's done. I can hear the relay clicking much sooner, I may have made it a bit too sensitive though so it might need a little more adjusting if anything it's overly safe.

Tech your instructions are for the self adjusting switch, I have the older style where I've got to unscrew/screw in the switch to get it at the appropriate spot. It's a real pain.

Old 11-19-2006, 03:15 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Wow haven't seen then like that on the older cars yet. Maybe there is only a few out there.
I have only ever seen the self adjusting ones.
Even the early 960's use the same switch.

Old 11-19-2006, 05:44 PM

Yeah the Volvo manual on brakes says earlier models, and seeing as how mine is a 94 manufactured in 93 my guess is that I qualify as an early model.

pg 208 of the brake system book.