Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

brake line

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default brake line

Volvo 1993 850

The brake line going into the rear right caliper has a nut on it that I started to strip. I think it's a brass nut. I'm wondering if I need to replace the whole line or can I replace the nut only? I don't know if the nut comes off of the line. Also, I would really be grateful for any tips on how to get those damned axle nut grooves out so I can get at the nut. You know, the metal surrounding the axle nut is hammered into a groove in the nut to lock it. I need some tips on how to get under the metal, what kind of tool works best for that, to pry the metal up out of the groove.

THanks

jeff[8D]

Old 12-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: brake line

If it is the nut on the caliper you need to replace the line.

To remove the nut don't worry about the metal on the nut just loosen it and it will bend.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:42 PM

THanks a bunch Tech.

PEace

Old 12-11-2006, 11:59 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Mr. jefhon,

I've had a similar experience. I tried to replace the flex brake hoses and gave up, as the nuts for all four stripped, even with flare-nut wrench. Dealer techs told me to use WD-40, but if the fastener is rusted tight, I wonder how liquid can find its way through such connections.

As for the nut, Mr. Tech has suggested a good way, which I didn't know. I used a small diameter pin punch and hammered it out. I also used the edge of a prybar. When I put the new nut, I made sure not to bend it too deep, so next time I won't have to struggle again. Also, since the flange is thin, you might be able to cut it with something.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 12-16-2006, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the info JPN. I'm sure it will come in handy. I haven't looked at it yet but plan on doing so this week.

The brake line I'm dealing with is the hard one (metal). I will see what happens. THanks though.

jeff

Old 12-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

If you are going to replace the line, you are obviously going to have to bleed the brakes. Since you are going to be in there anyway, I would look at replacing any other brake lines and hoses that may need it. That way you will only have to bleed the brakes once.

Just my .02

Glenn

Old 12-17-2006, 09:32 PM

You're absolutely right about checking all lines. I actually forget about that kind of efficient maintenance...so thanks! I'll have a look.

jeff

Old 12-19-2006, 02:47 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Jeff,

If you need to replace the metal lines, the only place I can think of to acquirepre-formed unitsis the dealer, but if you have or willing to buy the necessary tools you can do it yourself. You'll have to bend the lines, put a new nut and flare the tube ends.

Costwise, I am not sure how much those metal lines would be, but the OEM flexible hoses are reasonable, about $9 each. If you want to go fancy, you can spend $20 each for a stainless-steel braided ones.

Lastly, make sure to get DOT-4 fluid, at least 2 litters. If you have a pressure bleeder, such as Motive Products' European Bleeder, you won't need an assistant for the bleeding procedure.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 12-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Metal lines are actually cheap and can be bought in various lengths at Autozone's and Advance Auto Parts across the country, and they already come flared with the nut on either end. There is a tool for bending the lines that might run about $10 (it looks like a handle with a circular piece of metal on the end with a diameter of about 3". You manually bend the lines around this circle to give you no crimps in the line).

I put in a new hard line on a Civic I used to race and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I bought two lines of the length I needed (6-8" for about $4 each) just so I could practice on the first and do the second correctly.

You want to buy lines that are pretty close to the overall length you need. I would say within an inch or so. The direction the line is bent makes no difference, you just want to make sure it won't come in contact with any moving parts and mounts up easily with no stress at the mount points (which will could cause a leak).

Good luck with everything. I think you will be surprised how simple it really is. - AB