Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Bumper Trim

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper Trim

Is there a write up on removing the front and back bumper trim that anyone knows of? I hate that faded black look. Need to paint asap!!!

Old 08-24-2009, 05:06 AM

Are you talking about the grey trim on top of the paint? That's not painted. But you don't have to remove in order to Dye. Member Jimkw did a write up on it. I have used this stuff and so have a few others..http://showroomnewproducts.com/ All you have to do is apply the dye and let it dry.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as far as i know its part of the bumper and cant be removed seperately.

best product from my research is "show room new".
Just had some delivered tonight myself.
Will be applying it on the w/end with any luck.....

Old 08-24-2009, 08:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's a lot of unnecessary work to remove the bumper just to fix the faded look of it, tape off everything around the bumper and dye it. IPD sells a showroom gray and a back to black, both of which are dyes and there are people on here who have used both of them.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gilber33
it's a lot of unnecessary work to remove the bumper just to fix the faded look of it, tape off everything around the bumper and dye it. IPD sells a showroom gray and a back to black, both of which are dyes and there are people on here who have used both of them.
+1, there is no need to remove the bumper. Just tape everything off and start painting.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:22 PM

Ok thanks all, dyeing it is then!

Old 08-26-2009, 03:57 PM

Back to black does work well, I'm at 2 years since I applied it, and it needs a redo. The car spends about 4 days a week outside during the day, usually in the garage. I'm debating painting. The local volvo shop says that is the way to go. I was looking for a thread the discussed getting the trim and bumpers off well.

If you do dye with Back to Black, my tips are to use compressed air or a leaf blower and make sure everything is real dry especially on the top of the rear bumper near the wheel wells, that area seems to harbor extra water the will betray you on application of dye. I would also suggest maybe even taping off the trim so you can get a good saturation without getting it on the paint.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:09 PM

Good stuff I have a leaf blower so I'll do that, lol.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:07 PM

Personally, I would not bother trying to dye the trim. The dye can start to wear off over time (and car washes) and can look even worse than before you dyed things. I am sanding off what dye remains on my trim and painting it all with 'KRYLON Fusion for Plastic' in flat black. No prep required. Bonds to plastic. I thought about removing my bumpers to get at the bumper trim but I'm just going to tape it off and start painting.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Question

So the bumper is plastic? What if its some kind of resin and it wont adhere? Or will it? I'm doing this soon so I wanna know for sure lol.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:18 AM
Cool

In the process of finishing up my own with spray paint. Flat Black and oi its night and day and makes the car look well complete.

One of the best photo's I took of the difference.
Name:  DaVolvo03.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  27.9 KB
Did this about a month ago and its been hot as hell and wet as anything and no peeling or anything. Very impressed I must say. I've done the drivers side, front and rear bumber, I need to replace trim on the passenger side before I paint that. One of my friends seen it and said it made the car look younger (though it is a 97 so young is a stretch lol).

Old 08-27-2009, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by TheTrainwreck
So the bumper is plastic? What if its some kind of resin and it wont adhere? Or will it? I'm doing this soon so I wanna know for sure lol.
I'm 99.9% sure the gray portion of the 850 bumper is a type of plastic. I've been jonesing to paint my trim for a while. I will paint one of my bumpers Friday and post the pics here Friday night. I was going to go with flat black but I've been thinking of having a little fun and just trying gloss black. Kinda mimic a V70. Hmm...

Last edited by Squiggy; 08-27-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:32 AM

When I paint my trim on my wagon I'm going to color match it to the car, same color and gloss, I think it looks cleaner.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by gilber33
When I paint my trim on my wagon I'm going to color match it to the car, same color and gloss, I think it looks cleaner.
Sure it looks cleaner but it's not worth that hassle. Just buy a V70.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Squiggy
Sure it looks cleaner but it's not worth that hassle. Just buy a V70.
There's no hassle at all with painting trim. What's the difference between dying trim or painting it, other than like 2 steps? I'd rather spend an afternoon painting trim than spending 4k dollars on a new car just because the trim is already painted.

Last edited by gilber33; 08-28-2009 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:42 PM

I will paint one of my bumpers Friday and post the pics here Friday night.
Not going to get around to doing this today. Babysitting grandma. No energy. Oh well. I plan to paint all the trim sometime next week for sure. Should be fun.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:47 PM

Yea its gonna rain all weekend here bc of tropical storm Danny. So no workee on my car. And BTW, what kind of name for a storm is Danny? (no offense to Danny's worldwide) They should have just said Daniel. And who exactly is it that names these storms? Is it like one guy?

Old 08-29-2009, 11:09 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

It's plastic. I have a little damage to mine and have cut a little piece off with a razor. I'm about to dye with Forever Black. I purchased the stuff from iPd about 2 months ago and just have not had the time to do it yet.

I have been using Black Again treatment for detailing. I believe it's a Meguire product that last about 3 weeks.

Last edited by rspi; 05-07-2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 08-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Have Gradma Help You...

Not going to get around to doing this today. Babysitting grandma. No energy. Oh well. I plan to paint all the trim sometime next week for sure. Should be fun.
It may be fun and memorable for Grandma to help you. Maybe she can hold the tape or something. Then you can brag about how easy it was that even a Grandma can do it.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Just so you know, the bumper skin and the top black/gray section are separate. You can purchase them independently. They snap into each other. The two together are held on by screws except when you get to the fender wells then you run into rivets. You'll need new rivets from the dealer to put it back on.

Quick Reply: Bumper Trim