Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Can not unlock the car - problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 02:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can not unlock the car - problem

Hello everybody,

I have Volvo 850 and I live in Sweden.

This is my first post here and unfortunately it is about a problem i get with my car yesterday. I went shopping and when I come back I couldn't unlock the car. I tried a lot of times with the remote controller, manually with the key, pushing, kicking the lockers and everything but like the central locking had been blocked and nothing worked. I really don't know what to do except of braking the window and getting in. Do you have any idea what can be the problem. I also changed the batteries of the remote controller though I was almost sure the problem was not there...

Old 03-15-2013, 04:17 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

You have 3 points of entry, have you tried to get in from the other door or the rear hatch?

The last time I had someone with these issues, they were using the WRONG SET OF KEYS...

Old 03-15-2013, 06:08 AM

Yeah. I tried everything. It's so weird. I suppose it's something wrong with the battery of the car, but I can not open the front hood to check that...Any ideas....

Old 03-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The locking system is operated by separate little electro-magnetic solenoids. To lock or unlock power is supplied to the solenoids in one direction or the other for the solenoid to push against a spring to lock or unlock and then returns it back to a neutral position. After the pulse is sent the solenoid goes back to a neutral resting position where it is not engaged with the locking mechanism. That is when the key should work.

Did both front doors unlock properly with the key before this ??

For the vehicle to stay locked and not even respond to the key would only happen if somehow the system is constantly staying on. The battery would not be the problem since it's in fine shape and holding the doors locked. It should drain the battery in a couple hours and once dead or in poor condition the locks would return to the neutral position.

I've never come across that problem before.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 03-15-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Are you sure you were trying to open the right car? Seriously, my wife has done it.

Nothing will get involved electircally if you use the key manually, it sort of bypasses everything and the unlocking mechanism is all manual.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:36 PM

Today I tried to unlock the car again and it still stays locked.

Yes, it's the right car, at first I wondered but then I saw my training bag inside so... I get in contact also with the official salers of Volvo here and they said they gonna call me back with a solution but they didnt. Unfortunately if I can't figure out a solution till monday I'm gonna brake the small side glass and get in. But I'm worried it might happen again. SO noone has had such problem or heard about such problem?? I haven't got problems with locking of the front doors or problem with the locking system at all.

I would be very grateful to receive any suggestions. Thank u in advance all!

Old 03-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I can start to just make fun of you like, is it cold outside where you're standing ??

If we ask questions and you don't bother to answer we might as well laugh at you since most of us are a world away. If you don't answer we have no where to go.

Sedan or wagon and have you tried the trunk or rear hatch ??

Did all the locks work manually before this happened ??

Have you tried both the remote opener and physically inserting the key into all the locks and not one of them turns ??

Presently can you hear anything making a noise inside the car when you hit lock or unlock on the remote ??

Before you break a window have you called a locksmith to find out what he would charge to give it a try ?? He might be able to get a gap open in the door frame and physically be able to snag that slippery lock **** at the top of the door.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 03-16-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:13 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If you are going to break a window, brake one that is easy to replace, like a door window that goes up and down. You can get them from the junk yard all day.

Did you try your spare key? Sounds like something has happened to your key.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
I can start to just make fun of you like, is it cold outside where you're standing ??

If we ask questions and you don't bother to answer we might as well laugh at you since most of us are a world away. If you don't answer we have no where to go.

Sedan or wagon and have you tried the trunk or rear hatch ??

Did all the locks work manually before this happened ??

Have you tried both the remote opener and physically inserting the key into all the locks and not one of them turns ??

Presently can you hear anything making a noise inside the car when you hit lock or unlock on the remote ??

Before you break a window have you called a locksmith to find out what he would charge to give it a try ?? He might be able to get a gap open in the door frame and physically be able to snag that slippery lock **** at the top of the door.
Yeah, sure I don't bother answering questions.

It's sedan.

Yeah, I tried from the trunk and the rear hatch. Not working.

Well I am not sure whether all the locks have worked manually smooth before but I know at least for the driver's one that was working.

I can say it's cold outside but hardly that cold to affect in anyway the locking system. It happened just half an hour after locking system was working perfectly.

I tried both remote oppener and physically inserting the key into all the locks and none of them turns for a mm. I can not hear a noise or anything when I hit the lockers or when I try with the remote. I tried punching hard on a tennis ball pushed on the locker(which actually looked funny) but didn't work or hear anything

I haven't called a locksmith but as far as I know how much swedish workers charge per hour I can say I'd better smash the window with my head But anyway I will check that tomorrow and thank you for this advice. I haven't thought about it at all.

Anyway I'm fuc**d up and I also want to say that I am a bulgarian living in Sweden, so maybe this is one of the reasons We always get fuc.... up no matter for what or where.

rspi, I was thinking of braking the small side window behind the side passanger door.

Thank u all guys, tomorrow a friend of mine is coming with the spare key, cause the key wassn't at home and we will try with it. Hope it works ....

Old 03-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

It sounds like you are saying your key will not turn in the locks. That is very odd. The simplest explanation for that is that it's the wrong key, or the wrong car. That is really what the lock itself is designed to do. It prevents all keys except yours from turning.