Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Cannot start radio after putting in new battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot start radio after putting in new battery

I bought this used 850 sedan one month ago.I just put in a new battery, and I am unable to start the radio. I have a 1996 850 and I don't have the radio code. Any suggestions how I can restart the radio without having to go to a Volvo dealership. Many thanks.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might want to pull the radio out and see if the previous owner might have written the code on the radio. You could also check to see if it's written down anywhere in the paperwork you got with the car.

barring that, the dealer is gonna be your only option. Have yor vin ready to give them. My dealership didn't charge me to get the code for mine, and did it over the phone.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:57 AM

i bought mine used and they had the radio code written into the owners manual.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Anytime you disconnect the battery, the battery dies, you pull out and disconnect the radio, replace the radio, etc., you will get locked out of your stereo because of the security feature. To get the radio code for your car:

1. Look in your owners manual booklet. There is usually a white card in there with the 4 digit code on it.

2. Pull the radio out and see if it is written on the radio chassis.

3. Look in the glove box. Some people stick in on the inside of the glovebox door.

4. I actually write it on the passengers side sun visor mirror lid (inside).

5. Contact your local dealer with your car VIN. They may ask you to prove ownership.

6. If you don't have a local dealer, call Volvo Cars of North America with the VIN. 800-458-1552

That should do it. Once you get it try to put it somewhere you can find it easy. I'd like to start the trend of writing it in the passenger side visor mirror flap. Write it there with a sharpie.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have failed the 3 tries to get it right and are now locked out, there are a few options.

1. Just drive around with the radio on until you get a new chance. I think it will take about 2 hours of driving time. It can be 20 minutes here, 30 minutes there, it will add up the time.

2. Turn the car on the accessory position "I" (not started) and leave the radio on for 2 hours. It will reset and give you another 3 tries. Some radios the position is run "II".

3. Look in the owners manual and follow those instructions. If you don't have the owners manual, you can get it here: http://www.volvocars.com/us/top/your...s/default.aspx

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: If your radio reads ERROR, it is likely because there is a cd stuck in the changer or in the deck. If that is the case, unplug the changer or get the disc out of the player. I had a cd changer with a broken gear tooth that stopped my changer from working.

That ought to do it.

Last edited by rspi; 11-17-2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Default position 1 of 3

Hi there, well I just had the same problem and I put the key in the position just before the start position and waited for 3 hours but no good result. Then I figured out that there are 3 positions and that the position 1 is the correct position and not the position (2) just before ignition. NB.Be sure to have the radio turned ON.That should do it .

Oh ya , you will need the 4 digit code, I found mine on the top of the radio written in pen by the previous owner. But not to worry if it's not there as long as you have the VIN . Just call 800-458-1552. If you are not the original owner, they will update the present owner info right there. One last thing. If the code that they give you does not work, it's possible that the existing radio is not the original one , so hopefully the code is written on the radio after you pull it out of the casing. Good luck!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the radio is not original, you can get the code with the radio sn but they usually only give the code to a dealer in that situation.

Last edited by rspi; 11-17-2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: forgot to add info
Old 03-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One problem with this is if the radio is not the original one for that car, so the vin will not match the radio. In that case get the serial number off the radio and give that to the dealer. Or you could just use the radio serial number in first place.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:04 AM
Default radio

I had the same problem
simply call a dealership, talk to the parts guy, give him your vin # and he will give you the code.........

Old 03-22-2015, 12:11 PM

You can also get the radio code by filling out a form on their website here: Radio Code | Volvo Cars.
Again, though, if the radio is not the one that was in the car when it shipped from the factory, the code they have on record for your VIN won't work for your radio. That was the case with mine, but I was able to get the right code by giving them the serial number from the radio itself.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Agent005150
You can also get the radio code by filling out a form on their website here: Radio Code | Volvo Cars.
Again, though, if the radio is not the one that was in the car when it shipped from the factory, the code they have on record for your VIN won't work for your radio. That was the case with mine, but I was able to get the right code by giving them the serial number from the radio itself.
good to know thanks

Old 03-23-2015, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Jeeps, check out http://www.radio-code.co.uk/volvo-radio-codes.html and see if you can get the code by keying in the serial number from the sticker on radio (see the DIY vid to find the radio serial number). I'd like to know if the web site actually finds the codes...

Also, If your car only has the cassette/AM/FM, you can upgrade to a newer SC816 with the CD in the dash - they are going for under 100 USD on Ebay these days. Just make sure you buy one "with code" and its a 5 minute snap in fit. Also check if the new unit is the black face or gray face (depending on your current radio). I have my original 811 in a box since I dropped in an 816 to get the CD player.

Last edited by mt6127; 03-23-2015 at 01:00 PM. Reason: url added
Old 03-29-2015, 11:09 PM
Default I agree, Pull out the radio with the handles

I had the same problem, there was a youtube video on how to fix it, sure enough after pulling out the radio with the pull handles on the left and right side of the radio I found the code written on top of the radio, I keyed it in and the radio worked. It took me less than 30 seconds from start to finish. Good luck!

Old 04-24-2021, 06:34 PM

I am having this same problem now, new radio with system off. So I should leave the key on for several hours, with the key left in the ignition ? Does the radio need to be charged up ?
Thank you

Old 04-24-2021, 07:20 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This is a very old thread. Go here for radio code and reset instructions - Radio Code | Volvo Cars.

Last edited by tonyfr; 04-24-2021 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:35 AM
Received 585 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by NorcalC70
I am having this same problem now, new radio with system off. So I should leave the key on for several hours, with the key left in the ignition ? Does the radio need to be charged up ?
Thank you
Did you mean "new battery now radio says off", instead of "new radio with system off".

If you put the wrong radio code in three times (or 12 random digits) the radio will display "off". Once you have the correct code turn the key to the accessory position - the first position where wipers/lights/heater fan/ radio will work. Turn off lights/ac system/everything except the radio. Wait 2 hours (with the key on accessory and radio displaying "OFF". After 2 hours the display will change back to code - then you can enter the (correct) radio code.

I trust you have or know how to get the correct radio code.