Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Catch can, PCV vent to atmosphere

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default catch can

sorry I'm such a bone head.

My 850 na does not have boost.

I've done a forum search several different ways and dont see one (much less 99) detailed descriptions on what it is and how to install it.

I appreciate the helpful information here, but if I'm bothering you with my posts don't reply.

I'm not building a race car here, just dont want to blow any seals... Dave

Old 02-15-2012, 08:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're not bothering me, it's just that the information is there. I just did a quick search and found these:

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...estions-59935/

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...v-valve-59938/

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...install-44065/

Oil Catch Can - Here We Go Again - Volvospeed Forums

Jaz 1 Pint Mini Catch Can Install. - Volvospeed Forums

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...ficient-48513/

And I know there's more.

IMO, you don't need a catch can, there's really no benefit to adding one on a stock turbo car, let alone an NA. Just make sure you PCV system is operating properly and you'll be 100% fine.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 PM
Default catch

gilber- Thanks for the note and the links. When I typed "catch can" or "PCV catch can" to the forum search, the only thing I got which sounded applicable was my original post, and a bunch of stuff that was no where close. Maybe my search function doesnt work properly. Beats me.

I have heard folks talk of driving with the dip stick out a little to relieve pressure or drilling a small hole in the oil fill cap. I've gone through the PCV (as per my original post) and still get the dipstick smoke. seemed like the dipstick trick would let some pressure out, keep the system happy.

Guess the catch can is not really what I want. Looks way too involved. I thought by adding a small vent line (like my idea of splicing a second line coming off my dip stick just running down underneath the car) would add some vent. I've been driving with the dipstick out a little and it seems to run fine. No codes. Is that a bad idea? Why? No real leaks underneath.

I'm not trying to get an extra 3 horses out of it, I just dont want to blow seals. Dave

Old 02-16-2012, 07:41 AM

I wouldn't. You're letting moisture and what not into your engine having that open like that. You're also going to get an oily film residue all over your engine. A little bit of smoke form there isn't out of the ordinary, especially if you have high miles. If your PCV system is all new, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Default vent

OK, maybe I'm concerned over nothing. When I changed all of the PCV stuff the ports were pretty plugged, not 100%, maybe 80. Some folks (on this thread) mentioned Seafoam, 150 miles, then oil change. What's your opinion on seafoam? Dave

Old 02-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by daver80
I have heard folks talk of driving with the dip stick out a little to relieve pressure or drilling a small hole in the oil fill cap.
I've been driving with the dipstick out a little and it seems to run fine. No codes. Is that a bad idea? Why? No real leaks underneath.
If you replaced the PCV system and opened the restricted ports you shouldn't have any problem with seals. What little pressure you have inside the engine would still go through the system to be relieved.

Leaving the dipstick up a bit lets oil blow back on the engine and makes a mess. Same with the idea of drilling the oil fill cap except it's going to be leaking all over the top of the engine and dripping down. If your blow by is that excessive you're better off doing the PCV and if it's still bad then consider "T ing" into the line off the head and putting a catch can on. In reality just adding a can of name brand engine oil stop leak to help soften and maybe swell the seals a little would be a better bet and would help the worn seals hold up to a little pressure.
You are also leaving the engine open to getting water inside. Not sure anyone who has driven into a sudden down pour is going to remember to pull over and push their dipstick down or tape over their oil cap. That and depending on your area you also have a certain amount of sand and grit floating around in the engine bay as you drive down the road that will find those openings.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by daver80
gilber- Thanks for the note and the links. When I typed "catch can" or "PCV catch can" to the forum search, the only thing I got which sounded applicable was my original post, and a bunch of stuff that was no where close. Maybe my search function doesnt work properly. Beats me.
Yep; use google instead; see this thread:
https://volvoforums.com/forum/forum-...-so-bad-59153/

Old 02-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Default vent

kiss-yeah drilling a hole in the cap seems like a poor solution, I want the vent to go further away- like down under the car. plus, if I hooked a line to it I'd have to disconnect it every time I add oil. Adding a T to the big top rubber line and into some sort of container, thats more what I was thinking of. but would that introduce moisture just like the dipstick trick? I've since pushed my dipstick back in, by the way.

Rainy up here yesterday. Should have 2 feet of snow by now but we've got nothing! Dave

Old 02-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you feel the need, I'd "T" in on the big line coming off the head where it's vertical and run it to something that is vented and somehow sorts out the oil mist before venting. That sorting out the oil mist is the whole idea of the "catch can". If I remember it's from racing where they didn't want the "road draft tube" just dumping the oil mist onto the track. They used this before PCV's were invented. Before PCV's cars had a tube that ran down to the bottom of the engine to vent off the blow by onto the road. I remember that big tube hanging down the engine on my '59 Cad. The air passing by the tube created a little vacuum to help pull the vapors out of the engine.
Engine Ventilation: Road-draft type
EPA wasn't watching then.

I really think Gilber did a super job but I'd be concerned about the breather filters being out in the open. I'd stick some sort of hood on them so they can breathe but not get hit with water. But the system he has sure looks good as is.

What's my opinion on moisture ...... I don't think you need a catch can but if you feel you do just protect the vent from ingesting any water and you should be golden. The engine is always going to have some condensation even when it's new and tight and everything is working perfectly. In fact that is part of the reason of a PCV system in the first place. To circulate fresh filtered air through the crankcase to remove moisture from combustion and from condensation when the engine is shut down and cools. Moisture is normal as long as there isn't too much !!

The following users liked this post:
F355guy (01-30-2022)
Old 02-17-2012, 05:03 PM

....And even if you go the overkill route of a catch can, you may still have smoke when you pull the dipstick. There is no fix for excessive blowby, unless you want to pull the motor apart.