Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

fuel pump install...something not mentioned in manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump install...something not mentioned in manual

Ok, battery charged so I got to see if my fuel pump install went good.

I turned the key a couple of times to the on position and could hear the pump. But the car wouldnt start. I gave it a few tries incase in needed to reprime the system....still no fire.

So then i took another look at the manual to see if I missed anything....nope.
So then I rechecked my work, double checked that I had the hoses on right....yep.

So I took both hoses off, put a cloth over the pump and then turned the key on for a half second. I thought maybe the pump needed to prime itself without any load 1st. Even in that half second I could hear the pump change it's tone.

Sure enough, it worked. I re-attached the hoses and turned the key and she fired right up.

You would think the manual would have mentioned that the pump needs to prime before it can send fuel threw the lines. Maybe it was just in this case, IDK.

Still working on the boost gauge install. The hose on my gauge is smaller than the stock gauge's hose. I can hear the vaccume as it leaks by. Not good to have a vaccume leak anywhere im sure.

Over all, the fuel pump job was pretty easy. Volvo could have made the opening above the pump a tad larger...as getting the ring on/off is a tight job. but otherwise it was simple....just the way I like it!

Old 02-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

I think that was a one off. How much fuel did you have in your tank? I was just thinking of reasons it might do this.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrosport
Ok, battery charged so I got to see if my fuel pump install went good.

I turned the key a couple of times to the on position and could hear the pump. But the car wouldnt start. I gave it a few tries incase in needed to reprime the system....still no fire.

So then i took another look at the manual to see if I missed anything....nope.
So then I rechecked my work, double checked that I had the hoses on right....yep.

So I took both hoses off, put a cloth over the pump and then turned the key on for a half second. I thought maybe the pump needed to prime itself without any load 1st. Even in that half second I could hear the pump change it's tone.

Sure enough, it worked. I re-attached the hoses and turned the key and she fired right up.

You would think the manual would have mentioned that the pump needs to prime before it can send fuel threw the lines. Maybe it was just in this case, IDK.
Just had to get all the air out of the feed line; can take awhile. Would have gone faster if you had a helper to depress the schrader valve on the injector rail (cover w/rag!) while you're cranking until you get fuel..

Over all, the fuel pump job was pretty easy. Volvo could have made the opening above the pump a tad larger...as getting the ring on/off is a tight job. but otherwise it was simple....just the way I like it!
Man, some guys are never happy!! You know most domestics don't have an access cover at all?! Have to drop the tank to do this job, which is never fun..

Old 02-16-2012, 06:05 AM

My fuel tank was 3/4 full.

I dont think it was air in the fule line, cause i took them off the pump when I "primed" the pump. It started right up after that. It could be the pump needed to get air out of it I suppose.

Its true that many cars need the fuel tank dropped to get to the fuel pump. I honeslty wonder what some designers were thinking when they layed out cars. How hard is it to make a good car that is also EASY to work on? Why shouldnt there me a access plate in EVERY car for the fuel pump?
Why cant all cars have the spark plugs (which should be changed every 60k IMO) easy to get to? Some cars they are underneath stuff, and others require special tools to get at.
I have often wondered why no one has thought to design a car with a straight exhaust pipe. A straight pipe should be cheaper to make, and would also be more effecient. ( I was alittle sad to see the volvo's muffler isnt behind the rear wheels)

Have you guys ever seen the muffler turbo systems? Aftermarket systems where the turbo is just before or after the cars muffler. Makes alot of sense. Frees up room in the engine bay, basically negates the need of a intercooler (since you boost pipe is under the car and gets cooled that way) and since there is little exhaust piping after the turbo it helps it breath better.

opps, now im rambling...

Old 02-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My fuel tank was 3/4 full.

I dont think it was air in the fule line, cause i took them off the pump when I "primed" the pump. It started right up after that. It could be the pump needed to get air out of it I suppose.

Its true that many cars need the fuel tank dropped to get to the fuel pump. I honeslty wonder what some designers were thinking when they layed out cars. How hard is it to make a good car that is also EASY to work on? Why shouldnt there me a access plate in EVERY car for the fuel pump?
Why cant all cars have the spark plugs (which should be changed every 60k IMO) easy to get to? Some cars they are underneath stuff, and others require special tools to get at.
I have often wondered why no one has thought to design a car with a straight exhaust pipe. A straight pipe should be cheaper to make, and would also be more effecient. ( I was alittle sad to see the volvo's muffler isnt behind the rear wheels)

Have you guys ever seen the muffler turbo systems? Aftermarket systems where the turbo is just before or after the cars muffler. Makes alot of sense. Frees up room in the engine bay, basically negates the need of a intercooler (since you boost pipe is under the car and gets cooled that way) and since there is little exhaust piping after the turbo it helps it breath better.

opps, now im rambling...
Not rambling; just preaching to the choir though...

Old 02-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this may be a case of "correlation does not imply causation." :P