Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

CD changer problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD changer problem

Hello, Maybe someone can answer my question:

my problem is the 6 cd changer in the trunk that was installed by volvo (thats what i think because it says "VOVLO" as the brand on it.) I just bought the car recently and havent tried the cd changer until now. its a 1993 volvo 850 and the problem is that when i push the "cd" button inside the car to play the cds, if i can recall correctly the message is E 01 01 i think that shows up when i push that button. also i havent been able to put any cd's in yet because when i push the EJECT button, the light blinks three times and then does nothing. But what is strange is it looks like a cd is already in there (that isnt mine) So you can pretty much say my cd changer is f'd up. can anyone help me!??!?!?

thanks for your time,

-Andy

Old 09-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Default RE: CD changer problem

ok ive looked through the forum and from what i see i need to take off the faceplate. how do i do that???

Old 09-17-2006, 04:26 PM

ok here is what ive done so far and it hasnt worked: i took a screwdriver and popped out the 6 disc tray. there was one disc already in there (it wasnt mine). it was put in properly in the #1 slot. i took the cd out. looked at it (no scratches or anything). so i popped in into a different one than #1. well, i managed to do that but i still cant eject the cd's with that eject button. it is still blinking three times and doing nothing. also i turned on my radio and switched it to cd and i still got the message E 01. anyone have any idea of what could be wrong?

Old 09-18-2006, 12:27 AM

Firstly, I would try a completely different CD and see what happens.

Secondly, and this may sound a bit stupid, but have you checked to see whether the CD is being inserted the right way up?.

The reason I say this is that somebody put a CD wrong way up in my Volvo CD player once and it created very similar problems (errorr signals, stacker jammed). When the CD was put back in right way up everything worked perfectly.

Also I'm a bit intrigued - how did you get the stacker (cartridge) out of the player with a screwdriver???

The only way I know to get a stuck stacker out of a player when the eject button fails to eject the stacker is to get a thin piece of stiff plastic and slide it in under the stacker then slowly push it down until you feel it come up against the latch that locates in a square recess in the bottom of the stacker. This holds the stacker in place in the CD player.

Pushing the plastic strip down firmly will force the strip to push the locking latch down into the body of the CD player.

One the lock latch is depressed, an eject lever - under fairly strong spring pressure when the stacker is in place - will suddenly push (eject) the previously immovable stacker out.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:02 PM

ok i have one quick question if part 2 in the above post is right: how do i check to see if the discs are being insterted into the player? because when i push any of the 6 presets buttons for the radio (which i beleive control which cd goes into the player)....nothing happens. the cd doesnt seem to move, but ill try and see if putting more than 1 cd in the cartridge will do the trick.

also, what i did to make the cartridge pop out is i put the screwdriver right in the middle of the cartridge, wiggled it between the bar with the eject button and the cartridge and soon enough i wiggled it and it popped out. but that didnt fix my three blinking light on the eject button problem haha.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:48 PM

yea i inserted new cd's and nothing happened....still the same result. is it possible that a fuse may be blown?