Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Check Engine Light just came on.... I rented an Accutron Scanner but it WON'T CONNECT

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light just came on.... I rented an Accutron Scanner but it WON'T CONNECT

After I finally found the OBD II scanner port underneath the coin slots, I used an El Cheapo bluetooth scanner to be used with Android devices. I sent it back because it wouldn't work with my Volvo.

Fast forward to today. My mom takes the car to run an errand, half way home, the car starts sputtering and the CEL comes on. She gets here, tells me about it, and so I decide to rent a scanner instead of drive the car to the parts store to let them scan it.

THE SCANNER IS NOT WORKING!!! I mean, it works... just not with this Volvo.

Has anybody experienced a faulty OBD II scanner port???

None of my dome lights come on at all in the car, and I just noticed the last time that it rained, that a small bit of water actually leaks thru the weather stripping down thru the main dome light for the front seats. I'm doubting that these wires will run alongside the OBD II port wires, but figured I'd mention it just in case.

Please help!!!

Old 07-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The OBDII port needs to have a power supply for a scanner to work with it, well at least any scanner I've used. In a GM (chev, buick, pontiac, ... ) it's common to ask the owner if the cigarette lighter is working if the scanner won't hook up. I found out from a GM tech that the ALDL or OBDII port is on the same circuit as the cigarette lighter and if they pop that fuse "Scanner unable to connect" is what you get.

Maybe on a Volvo that circuit for the lights is what also feeds the OBDII port ?? Like a cigarette lighter the dome light circuit is "hot" all the time so it would make sense that might be the cause. The Actron units aren't great but I know Autozone uses them for their in house scanners so they do work and they are rugged.

If you think it's the scanner though you could always try an Oreillys as they use a different brand. Well, at least they used to haven't used there's in a bit.

Attached Thumbnails Check Engine Light just came on.... I rented an Accutron Scanner but it WON'T CONNECT-obdii-scanner-actron.jpg  
Old 07-02-2012, 02:01 PM

The cigarette lighter worked the last time I checked.

The Actron scanner powers up, but give some type of communication error.

I would try OReilly's scanner, but they don't rent them out anymore... and neither does Advance Auto Parts. AutoZone is the only one that rents it out. I mean, I could drive it to OReilly, but I'm not sure if that's a wise idea with it driving so rough. I'll keep this as a very last resort option.

EDIT: The Actron scanner powers up because it has a battery!!!

Old 07-02-2012, 02:12 PM

The cigarette lighter definitely still works.

The scanner only powers up betcause it has a battery. After I connect it to the port, it gives me a super obvious message.... "The vehicle must be connected to the device in order to run test." Or something very similar to that.

Any suggestions?

Any diagrams.

It's all welcome here!!!

Old 07-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Cigarette lighter on a GM, General Motors product. I know it isn't the same on Ford, Chrysler, Toyota ... or Volvo. That's why I pointed out you might want to check out that circuit with your dome lights. That dead circuit might be what's keeping the scanner from connecting. Since it's a "hot" circuit all the time, doesn't need the ignition key on, it could be a source for that OBDII ports power.
Just a thought.

Is it sputtering all the time? Loss of power? Does it feel or smell like it's flooding ??

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 07-02-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:23 PM

I looked in the book and saw that the interior lights and the obd diagnostic port were ALL on the same fuse.

Soo... I go to look under the hood... and VOILA -- the fuse for the interior lights / obd diagnostics is MISSING!! No wonder I never found any bad fuses.

Now I am able to use the scanner successfully and am getting Code P0103 - "MAF or VAF A Circuit High Input".

I am going to go unhook it and see if it's still running rough.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Administrator

If I was good, I would have looked that circuit up. Glad that's all it was .... at least for getting you into your codes.

So for future reference, GM product, code reader won't connect check the lighter for power. Volvo, check if the dome lights work.
It's kind of cool how a little piece of information like that can be so damn handy !!

You might want to reconsider that bluetooth unit that works with your android ??

Old 07-02-2012, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
You might want to reconsider that bluetooth unit that works with your android ??
I'm kicking myself in the *** for getting an RMA# and returning it to Amazon just earlier TODAY!!!!

Did that while my mom was having problems with the car sputtering.

I guess I'm just going to have to order a new or used MAF sensor. Dunno which one to get, tho.