Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Check Engine Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light Question

I have checked around and could not find similar question, apologies if it is out there
My check engine light came on, as well as the service light, not concerned about the service light, had my mechanic (he specializes in european cars) look into the CEL, he told me the "box" is dead/unresponsive andthat is why its throwing the CEL. He told me that this is a very costly repair, at least$1500 to replacethe"box". Otherwise the car runs fine, no other issues, i have 233,xxx miles on it, and while it was there, had it serviced too. I love the car, its good on gas, comfortable, etc, and really dont want to get rid of it, but to fix it may be worth more than the car is worth....anyone know of a cost effective way to repair it?, or am I S.O.L? also, will it affect getting my car tested for emissions?
also cigarette lighter outlet doesnt work, lighter wont go in or pop out, and a phone charger does not work in the outlet, any guesses why??
btw, car is a non turbo 1995 850 GLTWagon.
thanks in advance for your help,

Old 01-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Default RE: Check Engine Light Question

I think your mechanic needs to give you better information than that. With it being a '95, you can pull the codes yourself andpost them back here? Then, we can tell you what is most likley the issue. Here's a link to how to pull the codes:

http://www.volvospeed.com/CheckEngine.php

- AB

Old 01-12-2007, 02:07 PM

thats the problem, he tried to pull the codes, but the box was unresponsive........?

Old 01-12-2007, 03:14 PM

Hmmm. '94 and '95 were dual OBDI and OBDII cars. Take a trip to Autozone and see if they can pull the codes for you.

Generally speaking, CEL codes are emission related. I've known a lot of people who run around town all day long with a CEL on, for years at a time. Problem is that some states need it to be clear (off) for inspection.

I would give the box a try and see if it responds at all. If it doesn't, then likely a wire is broken going from the ECU to the box, which may not be that hard to trace.

There's a guy named 'Tech' on here that will probably have some insight. He's a Volvo technician during the day, so he's very helpful

Good luck - AB

Old 01-12-2007, 04:56 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello 95pimpwagon,

Greetings from Chicagoland.

If the car is running, the ECU (box) is working. If the ECU is really fried, it won't start the engine or gives you the code for "ECU FAULT". If your mechanic used OBD-I (inside the engine compartment), then the test lead may have been cut, like Mr. B1mmer has noted.

CEL also comes on when there is a auto-gearbox related problems, but this is usually accompanied by flashing arrow on the dash so this may not be your case.

You're correct in that the Service Light is just a reminder of routine service (oil).

As to the DC power outlet, at this point I am not sure what's causing it. It seems like a short-circuit around the outlet, check for exposed wires, wires touching the ground (any unpainted metal part of the car), etc...

As Mr. B1mmer noted, I would have a visit to a local AutoZone and have them pull codes via OBD-II. They will not clear emissions-related codes but you can always clear it via OBD-I terminal.

If you like your car so much, I would buy a Haynes service manual. The manual is not sufficient for some people, but it at least gives you the procedures for accessing the codes.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 01-12-2007, 05:54 PM

One other point of note, Autozone will tell you that your car is not OBD II. There is a slotted cover below ashtray on the center console in front of the gear shift. Pull up on the back side of it (gear shift side) and it will expose the OBD II port. - AB

Old 01-12-2007, 05:56 PM

Thanks guys for the help!! I will try some of it this weekend! I know last time i got an emissions test, all they did was put that sensor in the tail pipe, so if i "disguised" the actual check engine light, it may ok, for the time being!

Old 01-13-2007, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My CEL is on so much it finally just burnt out. Seriously.