Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Checking codes on the OBD unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking codes on the OBD unit

Hey so the On board diagnostic unit has an A side and a B side. The manual talks about checking codes in terminal 2 and terminal 6 of side A. I get a reading from terminal 2, but no response from terminal 6. So is this a problem? What do all these terminals do?

Old 04-25-2012, 11:57 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

To start, the Ignition key must be in position II, engine not running. Open the hood. Locate the two diagnostic sockets just inboard of the washer fill cap. The “A” connector (shown above) has a jumper that is stored in the lid of the “A” diagnostic connector. The jumper is used for both diagnostic connectors.
What Codes You Can Get

Listed below is the information retrievable from the various connections.
  • A1 Transmission
  • B1 Climate Control
  • A2 Fuel System
  • B2 Cruise Control
  • A3 ABS
  • B5 SRS
  • A5 TCU (Transmission Control)
  • B6 Power Seat
  • A6 Ignition System
  • A7 Combined Instrument
How to Use the Jumpers

Normally “Check Engine Light” information will be found in A2. Put the jumper into A2 and push the black button for one second. Count the red LED light as it blinks back information, blink, blink, pause, blink, blink, blink, pause, blink, blink, is an example of the response you would receive. 2-3-2 would be the code retrieved, now push the button again for one second, again count the blinks, keep checking for codes until one of them repeats, this means you have read all the codes.
Clearing Codes on your 850

Now to clear the codes, push and hold the button for 6-7 seconds, release and as soon as the LED comes on push and hold the button for another 6-7 seconds. Now push the button for one second and read the codes again, you should get 1-1-1 (no faults).
You Must Read All Codes before Clearing

Turn the ignition off and then start the car, the check engine light should be out. It is always a good idea to check for codes, clear them and then drive the vehicle to see if they return before replacing parts. The transmission can ask the check engine light to be turned on, so if you try clearing A2 codes and they wont go away try reading the transmission (A1), clear them , and then go back to A2.

Attached Thumbnails Checking codes on the OBD unit-diagnostic-panel-under-hood.jpg  
Old 04-27-2012, 04:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok cool. Did all that for A2, got 3-2-5 which is ECU memory failure. However, my car was sitting for a few months without a battery, so i figured thats what triggered it. I deleted that code, and it hasn't come back yet. (Car still isn't starting tho) I was just wondering why A6 isn't responding (no 1-1-1 or anything). Maybe the ECU really is fried...

BTW, that diagnostic walkthrough should totally be a sticky