Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Coolant Expansion Reservoir Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 12:08 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Coolant Expansion Reservoir Question

Hello All,

Greetings from Chicagoland. I wish you all had a good Turkey Day (for those who live in the countries that have T.G Day).

I have a question on the coolant recovery tank. My tank is leaking from the seam between the lower bowl and the upper half. I will probably need a new unit, but I am puzzled as to how the coolant level sensor is fitted. It looks like the sensor probe is entering the tank, but there seems to be no O-ring or seal of any kind where the sensor probe enters. So, I am assuming that the level float has a magnet and the magnetic induction causes the sensor to turn on/off. I mean, the sensor-probe is actually not entering inside the liquid, so there is no need to use O-ring or seal.

If someone has replaced the tank or had a close look at it, I appreciate if you could share your expertise.

Good day,

JPN

Old 11-24-2006, 09:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Coolant Expansion Reservoir Question

I fail to understand what your question is

-Mike

Old 11-24-2006, 11:52 AM

I think he just wants to know the tips/tricks for replacing the coolant tank. He also seems to want to know how the coolant sensor mates with the tank and works in general.

Old 11-24-2006, 12:09 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The sensor reads the float by like a magnet or somehting like that.
The sensor is not mounted in the coolant.

Old 11-24-2006, 01:43 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Mr. Tech,

Thank you very much for your reply, you've answered all I needed to know. I knew the sensor was not touching the liquid, as there was no O-ring/seal on the sensor mount.

Mike & info2x,

Thank you for your reply, Mr. Tech has answered what I needed to know. I was wondering about how the coolant level sensor was fitted onto the reservoir.

I wish you all had a good Turkey Day.

Regards,

JPN

Old 07-05-2008, 04:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 1996 Volvo 850 Turbo and it currently has low coolant warning light on.
The expansion tank contains coolant up to its max level. After some research, I thought that it was due to defective coolant level sensor, ordered a new one and installed it, but it still has the warning light on.

Did additional research and learned little bit about the magnetic float inside the expansion tank. Now, the magnetic float inside my expansion tank sits on the bottom and for some reason, it is not floating up to the coolant level.

A couple of questions I have:
1) Is this magnetic float supposedly be floating at the coolant level always? Or only when the car is running?
2) Have you or has anyone removed the magnetic float and try to repair? If so, how?
3) Do you always use Volvo coolant on your 850? I'm planning to do cooling system flush this weekend and any advices would also be appreciated.

Thank you!

John
1996 Volvo 850 Turbo

Old 07-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Administrator

1. Always supposed to float.
2. Try moving it around/spinning it in the bottle with a long screwdriver and see if is starts floating.
3. Any Decent brand of coolant will work fine.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:45 PM

Tech,
Thanks for the prompt reply!

I took the expansion tank off of my volvo this afternoon, submerged it in the water and tried every tricks in the book to make it float, but this darn thing seems to have already made up its own mind to stay down on the bottom. Unless there is something else I can try, I might have to order a new "expansion tank".

If you or anyone happens to know the price for the expansion tank and Volvo coolant at the dealership, that info would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

John

Old 07-05-2008, 06:12 PM

Just email the parts dept. of your local Volvo dealer and they will quote you a price or just Google the part.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 07-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Check FCPgroton.com and see if they sell it.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:23 AM

Quick Brick and Tech,
Thanks for the info!

By the way, both of you seem to take excellent care of your ride!
I suppose I'm just trying to imitate the masters to have pride in my ride as well.

Have you done anything to your ride for better fuel efficiency?
Not sure if it is normal for 850 Turbo, but I get around 18-22 mpg in the city and 24-27 mpg for highway driving. I am considering to replace stock air-filter with K&N air-filter or cold (or short) air-intake system for more power and fuel efficiency.

Tech,
What kind of brakepads do you use on your 850 turbo? ceramic, semi-metallic, or metallic? If you have a recommended brand, I'd like to give that a try. My volvo stops firmly, but occasionally I hear that squeaking sounds. Heard that it was quite normal to Volvo and I just had to turn up the radio volume.

Have a great weekend!

John

Old 07-06-2008, 05:10 AM

Hello John,

I have not really done anything to The Anvil except to get it back up to a proper level of maintainance [sm=smiley20.gif]

I get much better milage that I did with the Acura Vigor GS(17 gallon tank), which was around 450klm/max of premium per fill [:@].

My brick gets better than 600klm/73l tank per fill and all on regular. And my last fill from 40klms to go on the trip computer cost me $81CDN, and while it hurts, is not really that bad. But It Is Getting There[]

Considering that the ACK would be in the $110+ range to fill and is a smaller car.

I am fairly certain that your are in the good to fair average.

As for the intake. I would love to put a high flow cone type filter intake on the car but being a non turbo there does not seem to be a kit for my brick. [:-] If you know of one I would love to hear about it.

I am not sure how to figure the milage so if someone can show me how I would be greatful It may seem like a silly question but I have been trying and I am pretty sure my numbers are wrong so, HELP PLEASE?

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/l...albumview=grid

You have a good weekend too [sm=icon_rock.gif].

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 07-06-2008, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Thats about the same fuel milage as I get. I get a little higher on the highway on longer trips. I get about 29 on long trips.
I have tried many aftermarket brake pads and always return to OEM pads.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:32 PM

Tech,
I just ordered a coolant expansion tank from FCPgroton.com and their price is much better than the one I usually shop at (ipdusa.com). This one happens to be aftermarket brand, but as long as it takes care of the low coolant warning light, I'll be happy as I can be. I could have gotten OEM brand for twice as much $$$, but I would find out soon enough if I made the right decision with this aftermarket brand. Price was just too good to pass! Thanks again!

Quick brick,
Please correct me if I misunderstood you, but if you're asking about converting Km to mile, 1.6 km is equivalent to 1 mile. If you can drive 600km (600 / 1.6 = 375 miles) on a full tank (73L or 19.3 gallon), that means you are getting roughly (375/19.3) 20 miles a gallon.

AEM claims that cold air intake or short ram would increase hp and fuel efficiency, no matter what you drive, turbo or non-turbo. At today's gas price, we all should do our part to conserve more energy either by driving less or making our ride more fuel efficient. Bicycle or scooter sounds pretty good nowadays, but in Atlanta, GA, we've got so many crazy drivers here (I'm one of them!) that we all have to be extra careful not to be run over. That is why I love driving my Volvo.

John

Old 07-06-2008, 08:13 PM

Well, you guys are running regular (87 octane) and I am using what Volvo recommends, premium (93 octane) and we are getting high 20's on the expressway and low 20's around town.
The guy who owned it before us ran regular so as the ECU is re-mapping itself the MPG is increasing.
As a general rule it takes the ECU 3 tanks of gas to re-map to the new gas. We just finished our first full tank of premium. I am going to refill the car Tuesday when premium is cheaper. ($.06 off every gallon of premium at the local Shell station)
My Land Rover is a high compression engine so I am used to running premium, my Camry always ran better and netted better MPG with premium too.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:57 AM

I'm curious to know how the after market expansion tank worked out for you? and what brand is it?

If anyone else had good luck with the after market brand tanks?

Thanks,