Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Need cure for P0133

Old 12-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need cure for P0133

Very similar to my problem, but not a fix. Would appreciate help.
P0133 code. Had both sensors replaced (told mechanic Bosch only, but haven't checked). Found openings in intake air duct. taped (electrical) and the code disappeared for a couple of hundred miles. Came back. Cleaned MAF sensor.
Went to new mechanic for tires (and his laundry list-can't say he was wrong about anything), and mentioned the problem. He said any in or out leak would set that code off. FOR FREE he dis a smoke test, checked for exhaust leaks and checked the (tip-of-my-tongue) switch. All good. He said, leave battery unplugged for 15 minutes (negative ground). Did. Came back on. IN NY State that code is a fail on emissions.
Have had the car for only 5,000 miles, but always runs beautifully.
Any other ideas out there?

Old 12-29-2013, 08:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Seyfried
Very similar to my problem, but not a fix. Would appreciate help.
P0133 code. Had both sensors replaced (told mechanic Bosch only, but haven't checked). Found openings in intake air duct. taped (electrical) and the code disappeared for a couple of hundred miles. Came back. Cleaned MAF sensor.
Went to new mechanic for tires (and his laundry list-can't say he was wrong about anything), and mentioned the problem. He said any in or out leak would set that code off. FOR FREE he dis a smoke test, checked for exhaust leaks and checked the (tip-of-my-tongue) switch. All good. He said, leave battery unplugged for 15 minutes (negative ground). Did. Came back on. IN NY State that code is a fail on emissions.
Have had the car for only 5,000 miles, but always runs beautifully.
Any other ideas out there?
There's a good list of diags for this code here:
OBD-II Trouble Code: P0133 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank1, Sensor1)

Sounds like your tech already did most if not all of them. Only other thing I can mention is these cars are very temperamental about O2 sensors; need to use OEM spec sensors, not just Bosch. Others may work just fine but still throw a code.