Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak

Hey guys,

I had the alternator replaced on the 850 turbo last week, and now it is leaking coolant for somewhere. I looked under the car, but cannot see where it is comng from. I get small puddles right under the area where the alt is, but cannot see any wet areas.

Question: I am not that familiar with the 850 engine, is there some way they loosened up something when changing the alt? Can't really see under the power steering pump. Would like some intel before I take it back to the shop...

Thanks,
Mike

Old 11-01-2007, 05:29 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Coolant Leak

Hey BostonMike,

I do not believe they have knocked something loose when they did the alternator. One really has to work at it to get something along the cooling system loose.

Try pressure testing the cooling system, preferably at a shop. If not, you can let it idle for approx 20 minutes and look for a leak. Also, visually inspect the radiator (especially the seam between aluminum & resin portions) as well as hose connections.

Also, look at the bottom of the timing belt cover. Remove 12mm bolt that is holding the timing belt cover, wiggle the cover upward as you pull it upward. Then look at the water pump. Do this when the engine is cold to avoid burns.

I hope this gets you started.

BTW, they used to sell excellent barbecue beef at Quincy market. Many food shops in Quincy market sell great food. And I guess it is needless to mention Samuel Adams.

JPN

Old 11-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Coolant Leak

my radiator cracked twice

i would fill up the resivior and let it idle long enought for the fan to kick in, then pop the hood and look around the radiator for leaks, sprays, or dripps

mine cracked on the plastic portion of the radiator ( the ends of it ) a little below where the coolant lines go into the radiator

if you do end up replacing it, be sure to jack the car up so the radiator can drop out, unlike me who pulled it out from above (pain in the a**)