Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Coolant leak repair failed. Need Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak repair failed. Need Help!!!!!

This is an update on my thread "Am I getting ripped off?"

I just brought the volvo to the shop, he called me a few hours later and told me he ripped the car apart and STILL could not find the source of the leak, he was wrong about the water pump and the timing belt, he says they seem fine, he tore it apart for an hour, he located the leak but he is not a real volvo expert, so he exceeded hios knowledge of volvos at that point. So he showed me where the leak was. I have many pictures of where he said the leak was, but he told me that he saw the coolant fluid ABOVE the headgasket so he doubts its the headgasket, its not the timing belt or the water pump he said, so without further interuption heres the pictures.

Now keep in mind, when you see these pictures, the circled spot is where he says the leak is, he says the leak is about 3 to 4 inches below the surface where I have marked, he tells me that "this is leaking" and he points to where I circled in all the pictures, I have also circled the anti-freeze container, just for the hell of it, LOL.

Name:  DSC03747.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  57.2 KB
Name:  DSC03746.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  69.2 KB
Name:  DSC03745.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  84.2 KB
Name:  DSC03744.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  50.5 KB
Name:  DSC03743.jpg
Views: 2128
Size:  57.2 KB
Name:  DSC03742.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  84.8 KB

It is a small leak, very small, it doesnt leak too often, but I'd like to get it fixed, and right now I do not know where, he told me if I decide to continue driving it with the leak, that I get some powder that I can use in the coolant to stop the leak, he doesnt know if it will work, but it might, Im considering not fixing the leak becuase Im in Hillsborough County in New Hampshire and have no idea where to bring it.

Thank you all for your help, in advance.

youngvolvoowner

Old 02-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Coolant leak repair failed. Need Help!!!!!

Worst case you have to change:
- the hose that goes from the coolant reservoir tothe thermostat housing
- the thermostat housing itself.

I don't see why a "general" mechanic can't do that.

Regards

Old 02-27-2007, 10:43 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi,

As Axel has noted, it is the T-stat housing. I'll add to Axel's list:

1. Thermostat housing-to-engine block gasket failure (shaped square with two square holes)
2. Thermostat O-ring failure
3. Expansion reservoir-to-themostat housing hose failure (this one Axel has noted)

This is a job that any DIYer with a service manual & tools can do. Also, provide us with close-up of the leaking location if you can, clean the location & shoot a pic, preferably with a seeping coolant.

I wouldn't use any "radiator leak stop" stuff.

Waiting for your update.

P.S: How far away are you from Rutland, Vermont? If Hillsborough County is within 2 hours of drive, I would recommend Jim's Imported Car Clinic, but if you're further away, you might want to have a visit to the nearest Volvo dealer.

JPN

Old 02-28-2007, 01:24 AM

It will be difficult to take a picture of the leaking location, the leak is very slow and steady, Im not sure Id see the leak even if I sat under there for an hour. Ill check out the thermostat, every forum I posted on suggests the hose or the thermastat, Ill probably replace those.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:27 AM

That hose would be #1. I highly doubt that metal housing is leaking....Unless you didn't tighten the screws enough if you changed the t-stat...

Old 02-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I would plan to change the thermostat, O-ring,and gasket (check the metal) cover to see that it is not cracked or warped), change the small hose and clamps between the coolnat bottle and the thermostat housing, and if you really want to, change the radiator hose and clamps from the thermostat housing and radiator. This may be overkill, but it should fix your leak. Total for parts and coolant should be no more than about$25-$30. As others have said, check the thermostat and hose first.

Glenn

Old 02-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I would replace the Hose and use good clamps (OEM ONES JUNK)
Make sure the plastic bottle nipple isn't cracked as well.

The thermostat o-rings are known to crack and leak as well.
Also make sure the upper hose clamp is tight. It could be leaking from the bottom of the thermostat housing from the hose and running down the back.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:48 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Should you decide to replace the T-stat, I suggest that you buy a tube of water pump/T-stat sealant compound (Loc-Tite or Permatex), and use it between the upper & lower housing (not too much, just a thin film of it). This step is not a mandatory, but ensures leak-free installation.

I agree Tech,that the OEM clamps are ridiculous.

JPN