Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

cost to replace radiator

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cost to replace radiator

my radiator is leaking and i'm wondering what i'll be looking at to replace it at a shop.
i'd attempt it myself, but i seem to have **** luck with doing things myself.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:10 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would think you're going to be $450 to $600.
The turbo radiator from a parts store is going to run you close to $200.
Rockauto is $135 with shipping.
Antifreeze about $20.
Hoses?
Shop supplies $10-20
It doesn't really matter what we guess it's going to depend on if you're talking about going to a dealer or independent and what their hourly rate is and the mark up on the parts.
It might also make a difference on if they take it out the bottom per the book or pull it out the top. Also if you have a turbo make sure they are quoting you on the radiator with trans and engine oil coolers.
Make some calls!

Attached Thumbnails cost to replace radiator-radiator-turbo.jpg  
Old 11-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Estimate based on a 95 850

Attached Thumbnails cost to replace radiator-img_1267%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 11-14-2011, 09:25 AM

i called around, there's a volvo repair shop nearby that said they could probably get a used radiator for me and it would be $300-400 total.

another question, should the system be under pressure? i'm beggining to worry about a cracked head gasket. none of the obvious signs, but when i open the radiator cap it hisses out as though under pressure and i did have to have the plugs replaced because a shop told me it was misfiring.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Dang. I didn't think it was so much. I'm glad my rad is pretty new. When I purchased my yellow sedan that rad blew up while the inspector was checking the car out so they had to put a new one in. This wagon has a pretty new one in it and the last S90 I picked up had a newer one in it.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:03 PM

i was also just reminded by my father that there was gas in the driveway after i changed my oil yesterday. i'm really beginning to think this could be a head gasket.

i'm bringing it to a volvo shop tomorrow to have the radiator changed, but first i'm going to have them do a pressure test. should i have them do a pressure test on the coolant system or a leak-down test?
god, i hope it's not the head gasket or i'm screwed!

Old 11-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Administrator

All cooling systems develop pressure as they warm up. There isn't a "normal" pressure but if you have a good cap you shouldn't get above 17psi I think. Some caps let go around 4-7 on the really old cars but on anything 80's or so and newer if you open the cap with a normally hot engine it might not only hiss at you but it would be normal to have it kick out some coolant. That's why you wait till it cools down to open it up.

Don't put the cart in front of the horse. Just tell your concerns to the shop and talk to them. Get a feel for who you're dealing with and hopefully you can be comfortable with their recommendations. Don't worry about asking questions but listen to the answer. People used to drive me crazy because they would be so busy with their next question they wouldn't be listening to the answer of their last one. If you have a leaking radiator it's most likely the only problem but it doesn't hurt to mention the head gasket concern. Just give them the facts so they have something to work with.

There was a recall on some of the 850's for a problem with the gas tank leaking. It may be covered under the recall and it would be free. Then again it might be a leak someplace else but if someone says new tank, call a dealer with your VIN to see if you're covered.

Please don't do a used radiator unless you're really lucky in Vegas. In two days you can be leaking again or it might last longer than the car. You're taking a 400 dollar gamble and they aren't going to give you a warranty (maybe 30 day?) on it.
If you have to go with the rockauto one and wait the couple days for delivery to save some bucks it's just a better bet. I like to use local and shop for best warranty but that's just me. Also don't be afraid to go into a local parts store and ask them to match prices. What they don't say is they will also match warranty. If "Tims auto parts" has the low price but "Freds auto parts" has the lifetime warranty ask the manager at "Tim's" if he will match the warranty and write it on your receipt. It's a matter of trying to get what you want and asking nicely. After all they are all fighting for your business and all you need to do is give them a way to get your business while you are getting what you want too !!

Old 11-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by boxpin
Estimate based on a 95 850
I started out with 200-400 and as I started to think about it I kept jumping by 50 bucks on each end. I do all my own work other than internal auto trans and alignment so I'm a little weak on what a shop charges. I still have a hard time getting my head around dealers charging 120+ an hour and shop supplies just drive me mad. The mechanic gets none of it but has to add it to your bill usually as a percentage of labor. How many "red rags" do they really use replacing your blend door motor or something else electrical.
Opps, I'm venting again!

Attached Thumbnails cost to replace radiator-shop-towels-red.jpg  
Old 11-14-2011, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by cjaama
i'm bringing it to a volvo shop tomorrow to have the radiator changed, but first i'm going to have them do a pressure test. should i have them do a pressure test on the coolant system or a leak-down test?
god, i hope it's not the head gasket or i'm screwed!
If you do a cooling system pressure test it's going to leak the worst at the biggest leak which might be the radiator. It might not show any problem with the head gasket until AFTER you get the new radiator in.

The leak down test isn't telling you if it's valves, rings or a head gasket unless it manages to get enough air into the cooling system that you start to see bubbles coming out of the expansion tank. Consistent bubbling in a properly bled system is a sign of the head gasket leaking. The better test is a container made for this that contains a fluid that gets stuck into the neck of the expansion tank and the fluid changes color with the presence of hydrocarbons (exhaust gases). This is a pretty fool proof test and it's cheap and fast.

You could also pull the plugs and see if one or two look way too clean. If it's leaking it will usually clean the plugs on the cylinder(s) that is leaking.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Man, what ever you do, DO NOT get a used radiator. A guy I know put one in his S90 and it leaked into his transmission and destroyed it. Had to get a tranny done at $1,700. Doesn't sound like you need that. Most places will give you a lifetime warranty on any parts they sell, especially on a 10+ year old car. They believe the part will outlast the car. Not a good risk on a Volvo. LOL

As for a head gasket, I'm will Kiss, don't wish bad things on yourself and cross bridges when you have to. If the car wasn't smoking or you didn't have antifreeze in your oil when it was changed, you likely are fine there. Bad head gaskets are not very common. I have know people going over 400,000 miles without any problems with their head gasket. And YES these coolant systems do hold pressure, that's why they recommend you NEVER take the cap off of the overfow tank when the car is warm.

Have no comment about fuel but you can call the dealer with your VIN and they'll tell you if all of the recalls were done on the car.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:18 AM

so, i had the radiator replaced and all seems to be ok, however this morning when i started it up cold a sound of water running through pipes was coming from behind the dash, particularly the passenger side (which i believe is where the heater core is?). after warming up it went away. is this something i should be concerned about?

Old 11-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Administrator

No. Likely there is some air in the system which will be the case for several days. Check the level once per day over the next week and keep toping it off. Do this with the motor cold, like first thing in the morning or after it has been sitting for a couple of hours.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:56 AM

ok, thanks. btw, by "no" you meant "no need for real concern", correct?
thanks again!

Old 11-17-2011, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rspi
No. Likely there is some air in the system which will be the case for several days. Check the level once per day over the next week and keep toping it off. Do this with the motor cold, like first thing in the morning or after it has been sitting for a couple of hours.
What he said. Yes, no need for concern.

Did you go new or used and what did it end up costing ??

If you don't flush it often it's a good idea to toss in an additive every other year. The antifreeze itself never wears out it's the additive package in it like rust inhibitors that do. For old guys it's call water pump lube.

Attached Thumbnails cost to replace radiator-cooling-system-anti-rust-prestone.jpg   cost to replace radiator-cooling-system-anti-rust-gunk.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 11-17-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:11 AM

cool, thanks

Old 06-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Administrator