Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Couple questions concerning 850 climate control

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple questions concerning 850 climate control

Little history. A local shop did a hack job on the dashboard replacing the evaporator. Instead of removing the fasteners underneath the plastic piece at the windshield wipers they took a sawzall to the top of the dash right inside the windshield. Anyway, I told the owner of the car I would help him with it in regards to replacing the dash board using one from his parts car. I completed the dash board change out but now whenever I change the setting on where I want the air to come out of the dash at nothing changes. It was doing the same thing prior to me starting on changing the dash out. It is always blowing out of the dash vents (no defroast and nothing at the footwell for heat). In addition, I am pulling numerous codes from the climate control diagnostic button/light. Now for the question. I have not been successful in clearing the codes. Should I be able to clear them and then have them come back up if the error is still there? I followed the procedure for clearing them to no avail. Any guidance in regards to clearing them is much appreciated. I changed out the climate controller unit above the radio and the one I tried did not do anything. It would not turn the fans on nor pull the compressor in. Any guidance along these lines will be much appreciated.
tia
Jim

Last edited by engatwork; 03-07-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:08 AM

I had the same issue with the vent selector flap not moving. for me it was the input connection where the selector motor connects were cracked and the motor just turned with no bite.

This is an auto climate control correct?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:01 PM

Yes, thanks. It is an auto climate control.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I really don't know why some of these repair shops treat your old car as if it's a HOOPTEE all because it's old. They hack and bend and break stuff and act as if it's ok.

I let a paint shop take their time repairing my 960 because I did not need to drive it and when I got it back it was a mess. I made them redo the head linner, some stuff on the roof and tried to get them to clean some stuff off the side that should have never been there but they stared crying like bitches. So I took it with some overspray on the glass etc. I spent about 6 hours cleaning it up and the next time I went by the shop they were shocked how nice the car looked as if I wasn't proud of it or something.

I guess they need a stern verbal or written warning to return the car as was when delivered. They act like we are lucky they are even trying to fix it for us.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:51 PM

I don't know what kind of arrangement the owner worked out with the hack shop.

Any thoughts on resetting the codes? Should I be able to clear up the codes? I have been pressing the button for 5 seconds and then pressing it for another 5 seconds when it lights up the first time after I have initially pressed it. Shouldn't this clear up the codes?

Old 03-08-2011, 02:25 PM

I've gotten the codes clear and now the only codes coming up are:

231 - vent damper motor position
323 - vent damper motor inactive too long

I am going to assume (hopefully someone will come along and correct me on this if I am wrong) but I'm thinking the vent damper motor is the one that is kind of straight ahead of the key switch. This is for lack of a better way to describe it's location. I did have to make some adjustments to that one when I had the dash out. The prior repair shop had stuck a screw between the rod and housing to keep it in one position.

Anyway, now my question is if this vent damper motor is inoperative would it, by itself, prevent the system from switching where the air is blowing out of? I can control heat/cold, blower speed (seems to work fine in automatic) recirc and a/c on/off. I'm wondering if I have a bad ECC (the part above the radio that the three cables plug into).

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.