Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Daughter Hates Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daughter Hates Antenna

In 1994 we ordered a Blue 850 to our specs, one of which was a built in car seat in the back. Our daughter at 2 was too young to use--but we thought it would be a good thing to have.

Now the same daughter will be going to college with this car. It has 150K miles, well maintained. I have enjoyed some of the posts: the fuel pump-won't start problem, the windshield wiper pump (twice) the horn won't shut off (thrice) have to push the shiftlock button to get in gear (still like that).

My main question: the antenna is goofed up for the second time, won't retract/raise it remains half in, half out. Radio works but daughter doesn't like the looks, especially as it is now canted over somewhat. So: is there a replacement antenna that can be installed? Maybe a short, rubber/plastic replacement that does not retract/expand? I think a new antenna assembly is over $200.

Other than the black plastic strips on the roof which have pealed, leaving aluminum color, (nothing to be done there, right?) the car looks good.

One other thing: have always used conventional oil, thinking about switching to synthetic 10w-30. Does anyone forsee any problems that this new oil will loosen junk and cause some problems?

Old 05-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would try ebay and search for the antenna motors, they're always really cheap there.

And I wouldn't switch to synthetic at 150k. If you switch to synthetic you're supposed to change all the seals before hand. And yeah, you would run the risk of leaking and loosening up debris inside the motor. I'm switching to mobile 1, but I'm replacing all the seals.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You can replace the antenna mast only for like $20.00 or so.
But you might have to pull the motor and open one part to get broken pieces out.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:20 PM

You know it's really funny reading this site. You own a car 16 years, get to know/love/cuss it and discover it has siblings with the same DNA. I'd forgotten the cruise control doesn't work and from reading around, looks like I need to look under the bat-rey for some hoses.

I guess I can look around for new mast, was hoping for 7 inch or so static replacement. Of course kids with their ipods...maybe they won't even use.

And thank you for advice on synthetic, I haven't the slightest on replacing seals and will stick with dinosaur derived oil.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:59 PM

Yeah, if you switch to synthetic you'll most likely start leaking from your RMS and cam seals, at least that's what I'm told. But I put in different cams and will be taking out the motor, so they'll be all new seals before I switch to synthetic.

Personally, I don't use the radio anymore, I have my USB port plugged into it, my antenna is broken too. I'm thinking about getting a small cap for it and just removing the mast, and then wiring in an antenna that will go on the rear windshield or something. I think the antenna is ugly too.

Something like this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0ZmFLZo...t-Antenna.html

Old 05-16-2010, 04:08 PM

Tell her she can always walk or take public transportation.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have switched to Synthetic Blend in all my cars and have had no problems whatsoever. I use MaxLife. Just changed the oil yesterday in all three cars.

As far as the strips on the roof, people have done all kinds of things to them, like peeling the black off and polishing the aluminum to covering them with black electrical tape. What I have done on both my 850's is get the strips from a 98 S70 for a sedan or V70 for a wagon and put them on the 850. They have rain gards on the edge of the window and they don't peel.

I have replaced the antenna mast to many times. Must be a really poor desing. Now both of mine are half way and I just leave them that way.

Last edited by JimKW; 05-16-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:06 PM

Mine used to be stuck, I took it apart, took out the broken pieces, now it works like a charm.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by VTBricked
Tell her she can always walk or take public transportation.
There's always got to be that first non-responsive response.

Teasing, it did make her sound a little indulgent. Kids whose parents get them brand new top level cars while still in high school seem to be missing out.

Looked around, may try to get another mast, they're cheap. Wish there was a decent radio with built in antenna and iPod plug in. But I guess that's the nature of antennas.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Here is your antenna mast:
http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...st-Sedans+Only

The common problem with power antennas is dirt and the internal plastic line to break. Keep your antenna clean by wiping it off when its up now and then. For the mast, if you take off the top nut and turn on the radio the antenna will come up and out. Look at the end of the plastic strip and see if it is broken off, it will have a blunt end if it is and a chamfered end if its not. Honestly, sounds broken. The problem you have is the remaining part wound up inside. This requires surgery. The antenna will need to be taken apart and that section removed. Its is not difficult and can be done on a work bench with some patience.

I changed to Mobile1 and have not had any leaks.

Here is your horn fix:
http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...orn+Repair+Kit
I did not know about this kit about 5 years ago when I fixed my 850 sedans horn...I bought all the parts I needed at Ace Hardware for $14.

For the Trim repair...there is a posting for it. You'll have to search unless someone has it for you.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:30 AM

For the trim repair, I had electric tape on them for a while, but it kept peeling off...
Easiest way to fix is to carefully watersand the strips using 800grid then 1200 grid water sandpaper (go in the same direction with scratches, i did front to back basically). Tape around the trim with masking tape, then newspaper some of the car (prep for painting). Then get a spraycan of primmer and a spraycan of black gloss or flat paint (doesnt have to be automotive paint, any black/primer is fine as long as they are both water based or both laquer based). Spray as many times as you wish (thin coats!!). Let it dry in the sun and take off the tape. Enjoy brand new strips that wont peel off in the rain.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by 850T5M
Let it dry in the sun and take off the tape. Enjoy brand new strips that wont peel off in the rain.
Got any 'before n after' pics? I gotta do this on mine real soon. Did you go with a flat or gloss paint?

Old 05-17-2010, 10:59 AM

Install a hideaway antenna for her and you will never need to hear her complain or replace a broken mast. Remove the factory unit and make a blank. Paint it with some Volvo paint to match it up. Metra makes a nice unit for around $30, Metra 44UA20 is one.

http://www.volvo-forums.com/index.ph...ic=25702&st=20

Old 05-17-2010, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tulsa850
There's always got to be that first non-responsive response.

Teasing, it did make her sound a little indulgent. Kids whose parents get them brand new top level cars while still in high school seem to be missing out.

Looked around, may try to get another mast, they're cheap. Wish there was a decent radio with built in antenna and iPod plug in. But I guess that's the nature of antennas.
Thanks for having a sense of humor, along with common sense. I've been doing the (very) used cars for kids for years now. And they totally accept it - they know what it takes to make it happen.

You could also clip the power wire to it when it's up so it stays up.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:39 AM

I dont have any pics at the moment, but I went with flat black...it came out very well I find. The trims look like they have black tape on them, except its permanent.