Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Does it sound like my torque converter is dying?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does it sound like my torque converter is dying?

Ok, I just started my car (1996 Volvo 850, automatic, just hit 120,000 miles) for the first time since Friday. When I put it in reverse and kept my foot on the brake, I heard a squealing noise, similar to what you'd hear from an aging belt. When I lifted my foot off the brake though, the noise went away. I stopped, and it came back. When I put the car in neutral, it disappeared. And when I put it in drive, it was the same story as when it was in reverse.

Is this typical? I've never noticed it before, and I'm really hoping it is. I haven't noticed any stumbling or slippage, so I'm not completely convinced yet.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Does it sound like my torque converter is dying?

Sorry but I have never heard of that before.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:14 PM

I had a similar experience with my 1995 850 Turbo and finally discovered it was my exhaust pipe rubbing against the end of a bolt coming from the gas tank support. When the car was in drive or reverse the engine vibrated enough to push the exhaust pipe over enough to hit the bolt and cause the squeak. The way Ifound it was to have my friend be inside the car while it was in drive (with the break on) and I pushed my foot against the exhaust pipe. The force from my foot was enough to stop the squeak so I knew it was something along the exhaust system path. Further investigation showed that it was that bolt. I simply cut the excess part of the bolt off and the mystery squeek has vanished. I think these bolts were new ones put in by the Volvo dealer in a recall on the gas tank mounting brackets about two years ago. For the longest time I thought I had a belt slipping or something wrong with my rear suspension. Then I finally figured it out! I hope this help since it's such an easy fix!

Good luck!

Old 10-28-2007, 09:26 PM

Thanks a lot. I just had the gas tank recall done about 2 months ago, so I'm sure that's the problem. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:12 PM

Okay, the noise is definately coming from the serpentine belt. I just had my brother sit in the car and switch between reverse and neutral every 20 seconds while I stuck me head under the hood.

But here's what really caught my attention. Whenever he put it in reverse, the engine shifted forward a bit and the noise began. When he put it in park, the engine went back to its normal position and the noise stopped. Is this movement typical, or are my engine mountings going out? I know my serpentine belt is worn, and I'm planning to replace it soon.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:29 PM

Did you try pushing your exhaust pipe to the right (passenger) side of the car with your foot? Just sit on the ground on the side of your car back near the tail pipe and use your foot (with a shoe on!) to push the pipe towards the opposite site of the car. It will move on the rubber hanging brackets. Mine moved enough (about 2 inches) to stop the pipe from squeaking against the new gas tank bracket bolt that Volvo installed per the recall.

Somehow the noise from my exhaust squeak was being transferred and it sounded exactly like it was coming from my drive belt when I opened my hood. I even changed my belt out as I was trying to figure out the noise. Changing the belt is not difficult, but first I suggest pushing on your exhaust pipe to make sure it's not the same issue my car experienced. I have read that the engine mounts on the 850's do tend to fail as they get older. I'm pretty sure I need new ones on my 850 Turbo but I have not investigated what it takes to swap them yet.

Good luck....

Old 10-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The mounts could be weak as well.