Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Doing A Rebuild bottom to top - Any Suggestions???

Old 07-28-2011, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing A Rebuild bottom to top - Any Suggestions???

Hi everyone. I own a 1996 850 Turbo. I'm doing a complete rebuild of the motor and wanted to know what should i aim for on parts (keep in mind i'm doing this to gain knowledge and experience since my head gasket went bad and my head cracked)? what would be needed with out a doubt(i'm getting a new OE Crankshaft also)? Also i'm going to b doing upgrades for performance. I hear replacing main and rod bearings with performance bearings would b best because the OE are not capable of handling too much power from the motor. I'm actually doing this over the next 2 weeks. I was just wondering if anyone on this site has actually done a rebuild and to give me any pointers or any advice on what i should look out for and what to expect, also if you have any tips i'm ready to learn.......

Old 07-28-2011, 06:21 PM

H-Beam Rods.
Moly Rings ( if your replacing pistons)
ARP Studs

Old 07-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardh
Hi everyone. I own a 1996 850 Turbo. I'm doing a complete rebuild of the motor and wanted to know what should i aim for on parts (keep in mind i'm doing this to gain knowledge and experience since my head gasket went bad and my head cracked)? what would be needed with out a doubt(i'm getting a new OE Crankshaft also)? Also i'm going to b doing upgrades for performance. I hear replacing main and rod bearings with performance bearings would b best because the OE are not capable of handling too much power from the motor. I'm actually doing this over the next 2 weeks. I was just wondering if anyone on this site has actually done a rebuild and to give me any pointers or any advice on what i should look out for and what to expect, also if you have any tips i'm ready to learn.......
If you've never rebuilt motors before, count on the next 2 weeks to read up on this, plus collect zip bags, camera film, clean your work area, etc. so you can start. Plus start making a list for special tools you need for an overhaul

What HP goals do you have? How will you achieve this goal (components, etc.)? What is your budget?

Old 07-29-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by MattyXXL
H-Beam Rods.
Moly Rings ( if your replacing pistons)
ARP Studs
I'm not replacing pistons. I thought about the H-beam Rods from RSI but i'm thinking is it necessary if all i'm looking for is between 304~350 whp. From all that i read on these motors, the rods can handle it with proper tuning. I plan on in the next 4 months, the 3" downpipe and i'm not sure 3" or 2.5" exhaust (input would be appreciated on which is best) also plan on getting an 18T turbocharger or 19T which i believe is more accessible and an ECU tune from RICA or IPD both seem very good but again, insight is appreciated. All bearings are being replaced also replacing the Crankshaft. I just wonder how to handle the timing for the crank. Most tools i have already. I do have a good friend of mine who owns a mechanic shop and if tools are needed, they are just a 30 minute drive away. Ziplock bags are my friend when it comes to bolts and nuts. Camera film i won't need because i'm pretty good with remembering where everything goes, my mechanic friend is jealous about that since he takes forever always trying to figure out what goes where. My budget honestly is $1000 for the rebuild ($1500 with H-beam rods) and most will say forget about it, it isn't possible. But it depends on pricing, i get extremely good pricing on parts from my mechanic friend.....well he gets the good pricing, its good to have commercial accounts . The OE Crankshaft and bearing complete kit is only gonna cost me only $200. I should have done all this before the Head cracked and my girlfriend got pregnant....or before "I" got her pregnant.....so i'm here to pick brains, i hope i picked yours. If anyone has actually done a rebuild though please let me know I would love a PM possibly a exchange phone numbers and you can explain certain things to me....

Old 07-29-2011, 08:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardh
I'm not replacing pistons. I thought about the H-beam Rods from RSI but i'm thinking is it necessary if all i'm looking for is between 304~350 whp. From all that i read on these motors, the rods can handle it with proper tuning. I plan on in the next 4 months, the 3" downpipe and i'm not sure 3" or 2.5" exhaust (input would be appreciated on which is best) also plan on getting an 18T turbocharger or 19T which i believe is more accessible and an ECU tune from RICA or IPD both seem very good but again, insight is appreciated. All bearings are being replaced also replacing the Crankshaft. I just wonder how to handle the timing for the crank. Most tools i have already. I do have a good friend of mine who owns a mechanic shop and if tools are needed, they are just a 30 minute drive away. Ziplock bags are my friend when it comes to bolts and nuts. Camera film i won't need because i'm pretty good with remembering where everything goes, my mechanic friend is jealous about that since he takes forever always trying to figure out what goes where. My budget honestly is $1000 for the rebuild ($1500 with H-beam rods) and most will say forget about it, it isn't possible. But it depends on pricing, i get extremely good pricing on parts from my mechanic friend.....well he gets the good pricing, its good to have commercial accounts . The OE Crankshaft and bearing complete kit is only gonna cost me only $200. I should have done all this before the Head cracked and my girlfriend got pregnant....or before "I" got her pregnant.....so i'm here to pick brains, i hope i picked yours. If anyone has actually done a rebuild though please let me know I would love a PM possibly a exchange phone numbers and you can explain certain things to me....
You have a a lot of reading to do.

1) WUT!? Where are you getting your reading from if you think the bearings are the weak points in these engines. Definitely NOT. The RODS are the weakest points in these blocks. You want to make 300whp on your stock rods you're going to have about 2k worth of upgrades that you're going to need to make sure you do. Exhaust, intake, FMIC, exhaust manifold, Wideband, boost gauge and either an EGT or fuel pressure gauge. You'll want silicone everything, get rid of all of your rubber hoses, and if possible, get rid of all of the plastic pipes/tubes in place for metal. And perhaps very importantly is an EBC of some sort.

2) You think you're going to be able to rebuild your block for 1 grand?!?!?! No. OEM bearings. $500 for rods. You'll need a head gasket kit. You'll need to do new piston rings. You have to get the head honed. You'll have to get it balanced. You'll need all new head bolts. New valve stem seals, engine sealant. You're looking at more like 2-3 grand. Not 1k. When you're rebuilding the block, everything needs to be new. I would expect about 1 grand in shop expenses alone. And everything needs to be OEM or OEM+. So your mechanic friend may be getting good pricing, but unless that's good pricing on OEM parts, then forget about it.

3) Also, if 1 grand is your budget, you're going to instantly break that just by taking out your block. Have about an extra $500 on hand for problems that arise when you are removing the block. You'll also want to do all new seals on the engine, cam seals, RMS, intake, any seal you can think of, should be replaced, and since you're rebuilding the engine, will have to be replaced and be new, and OEM. You move a lot of parts that haven't been touched in a long time and they will break....ask me how I know.

4) Also, if you're going for 300-350whp, good luck getting there on a TD04 turbo. I only know one person that has made it to 307whp on a TD04 turbo and that was with some dyno tuning and every bolt on imaginable. You'll need to go with a larger turbo not in the TD04 turbo to get there, and then once you do that, then you'll need custom oil and coolant lines, downpipe, and a gasket or something custom for the exhaust manifold.

There's a lot that is easily over-looked when you think about rebuilding an engine for power reasons, especially when you want to do it with a $1k budget.....

I'm running a 19T, NA cams, white injectors, exhaust, intake, FMIC, catch can, RICA Stage III 21 PSI tune, wide band, boost, and voltmeter, Greddy Profec B Spec II EBC, And I don't even want to say how much it has cost me to get to there, stuff breaks.....allll the time.

Name:  DSC_0140.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  184.1 KB

I'm not saying it isn't doable....it obviously is, but your 1k budget is not doable, and if your knowledge is limited to thinking the bearings are the weak points in the blocks, you have a ton of reading to do.

Read this: What To Know About Modifying a FWD Volvo

Last edited by gilber33; 07-29-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take your time - and pay very close attention to what you are doing and it will all be fine - good luck read read read and go online and study study study that is the only way you will get it done right - thats how i did it and im running like a friggin wild cat now
OH YEAH AND GET RID OF THE PREGNANT CHICK OR YOULL NEVER GET THE CAR DONE - JUST TELL HER IT AINT YOURS !!!!! LOL J/K

Last edited by radio16; 07-30-2011 at 01:11 PM.