Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Double checking PCV service

Old 06-13-2014, 06:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double checking PCV service

I'm trying to get my '94 N/A 850 fixed. Unfortunately, I don't have a backup car, and I live so far out in the middle of nowhere I can expect a week or more of waiting if I have to order parts. So, I'm hoping for some yay or nay responses from the more experienced folks here so I don't go messing around in the wrong part of the engine and break something I don't have spares for.

I checked the PCV system using Robert's guide. There's no smoke or pressure from the dipstick. So the PTC is probably still fine. The oil filler neck (?) showed faint traces of smoke, but inflated a rubber glove very quickly.
In addition to this, the car loses roughly a quart of oil every 620 miles. There's a faint leak from the oil cap, and after cleaning around it and under the plastic cover thing over the spark plugs, I guesstimate maybe a cup of oil leaks out every month.
There's no other visible leaks on or around the engine, and the exhaust shows no sign of oil, burnt or otherwise.

From this, I'm guessing I'll find a right mess around the oil trap. I haven't gone poking around there since I'm advised to leave that part alone until I have spare hoses and a manifold gasket.

Is this a correct guess, so I have to get a new gasket and some of those hoses local retailers insist are made of diamonds and kryptonite? Or is there something else I should inspect before I take the engine apart?

Thanks in advance for suggestions and help. =)

Last edited by Fippmeister; 06-14-2014 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Corrected numbers
Old 06-13-2014, 08:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think inflating the glove means the PCV is clogged.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:00 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

As explained in my video, my dipstick passed the test with flying colors, however the glove test proved the dipstick test is flawed. Early stages of the system being clogged can be seen at the dipstick, however, when the system gets worse, the glove over the oil filler is the best way to tell.

Loosing that amount of oil is drastic. It is either leaking somewhere or burning past the rings. I'd to a compression test before I put another dime in the car. If the motor is worn out there is no real need to put more money into it past oil changes. What weight oil are you using?

As for the PCV system change, I doubt you can get what you need from local vendors so order a good kit from a Volvo parts supplier. Your car does NOT have a PTC if it is NOT turbo. When you order a kit, make sure you order a EGR gasket and maybe even a throttle body gasket. Just a couple of dollars each.

Hope compression is good.

Compression test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0hZELYgOX8

PCV system change: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEZzqyu2a6c

EGR Cleaning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=523wh5gjthM

Old 06-14-2014, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't actually lose that much oil; I got the distances mixed up. It's actually 620 miles, though I'm not sure if that changes anything.

Thanks for all the advice and corrections. It cleared up a lot of misunderstandings for me. I'll do a compression test and see where to go from there. =)