Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Driving volvo for 10 years, but stil a N00B!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving volvo for 10 years, but stil a N00B!

hey guys this if my first post at these forums, but i have been browsing around for a few days. it seems like everyone here is really mature and helpful, and i just wish i came here sooner!

well anyways, i have a few quistions about my wagon.
i am the original owner of the car since 1996, (its a 97 850 wagon non-turbo).
right now i have about 122,000 miles but i am having some issues. first of all, i have a problem where my speedometer,lights, and gear shifter do not work unless i make sure the key is fully pushed IN the ignition. the car will be running, but if you dont give a little tap, it wont shift (unless you press overdrive and shift at the same time). should i replace the ignition switch?

2. also, my ABS light is on (again). the brakes seem fine thouhg, is this a common problem with this many miles?

3. my odometer completely stopped working, help?

lastly, i have a service light, and check engine light on, but mechanics say that the car is running fine. I am going to have a diagnostic computer test done, but just in general are there any really commons problems that arise in 850 wagons (Non T) at this many miles?

i know i have alot of quistions, and they are all probably extremely simple, but i hope i can just get my baby running perfect again!

thank you!

Old 08-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Default RE: Driving volvo for 10 years, but stil a N00B!

1. Not sure
2. 96 and 97 have a bad ABS unit. It's design is bad, and thus it fails. What you want to do, is get the ABS unit rebuilt. I think it's about $100-150 for the rebuild, which is significantly cheaper than a brand new ABS unit $300 plus.

The only downside, is that you have to mail your current unit to this one guy, and while you do this, your speedo will not work.

3. Your odometer gears are probably broke.

Service light doesn't tell you anything. It's more of a spend money light to get you to go to the dealer. IT's activated by a mileage interval. If you replace the odo gear yourself, just pull the bulb because it's annoying.

As to the CEL, rent a tool from autozone, and see if you can read the code. These generic scanners only read generic codes, but every bit of info helps. For more advanced codes, you need a Volvo Scan Tool which is pretty expensive. The bad ABS unit also triggers the CEL, so that just might be your fix.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:01 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Baseer,

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find it helpful & enjoyable. As a moderator, Ipersonally try to eliminate sarcasm or rudeness, which we do not need here.

1) As to the ignition switch, it may as well need replacing, but see if you can wait until a gentleman by the name of "Moderator Tech" could reply, as Tech is the top-dog of the forum. I'll just give you a URL for parts vendor many of us here use often, as they carry OEM & high-quality aftermarket parts at lower price than the dealers charge you. As to shifting problem, if not related to the ignition switch, it is either the PNP switch (known to go bad) or the microswitch.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo850other.htm
Ignition Switch: $51 (Genuine Volvo)
PNP Switch: $110 (Genuine Volvo)
Micro Switch: $18
Odometer gear: $25 (Aftermarket, more durable than the original)

2) ABS module on 850s are guaranteed to fail, especially those on '96-'97. Try this place for rebuilding & upgrading:
http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/

3) Most likely the plastic gear has failed. You need to replace it with a new gear.
If you wish to save money & DIY:
http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo850gearinstructions.htm

4) As to CEL, I assume it is triggered either for the O2 sensors or misfire, if the engine is running fine. CEL is a very common problem and often it is triggered by trivial reasons. Have a visit to AutoZone and have the codes retrieved. If they use a scanner like Actron CP9175, it can give you both the fault code & brief description of the fault ("O2 sensors out of spec", etc...).

5) Service Light is a reminder for a routine service, mostly for oil & filter. Ask a dealer how much they want to reset it. If too much, you could get a reset tool, though it is not cheap either. Again, FCP Groton has one but if you search, you may be able to find one at less price.
http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo850other.htm

Service Reset Tool: $169

As far as the mileage goes, you might want to expect brake servicing (pads & rotors & fluid) and suspension components soon. But more importantly, make sure that the timing belt has been replaced at around 70,000 miles or in the last 5 years. If this belt breaks while the engine is running, that'll be it. If there is no service record, I would replace it anyway. Or, you can visually inspect the "roots" of the cogs on the belt to see if you can find a sign of crack. If you see a tiniest crack, I would replace the belt. Visually inspecting the belt is easy; you only need a 12mm socket to remove the bolt that is holding the black plastic cover, which is covering the timing belt. Remove the bolt, wiggle the cover as you pull it upward. Then, check the belt with a good flashlight for signs of wear.

I hope this gets you started.

JPN

Old 08-12-2007, 08:31 PM
JPN

An addition:

As to general maintenance & tune-up, this thread may be of some use:

https://volvoforums.com/m_48928/tm.htm

Cheers,

JPN

Old 08-12-2007, 08:38 PM

Wow, JPN. Just noticed you became a mod.

About time! Nice job!

Back to topic.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:43 PM
JPN

Thanks Jimmy!

Kanji/JPN