Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Emergency Brake cable replacement. UGH.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency Brake cable replacement. UGH.

Hey there! I have a really great 94 850 sedan with only 141K miles on it. I bought it last year from the original owner and it came with a stack of service info. 3" thick. This guy never missed an oil change. The car has been great. I have only had to do the battery and rear brakes. I will do the timing belt in the fall along with the water pump at that time. I do like to do my own work.

Okay, When I did the rear brakes over the winter I noticed that the Emergency brake cable was broken on one side. The last section of cable linkage was missing. and the brake shoes were shot. I didn't do the work then because I wasn't planning on it and it was cold!! Now, I need to do the job for a sticker and as I dig in I'm wondering how this is done? The cable just disappears into the subframe never to be seen again!?!

Is this job as hard as it looks to do? Particularly without a lift? I can't seem to find any how to vids which worries me.

Any advice is appreciated.

Scott

Old 07-27-2016, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd check underneath the car then go to the junkyard and grab all I need.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

there are two cables required - one for each wheel that run from the back on the hand lever to each wheel, then snap onto the actuator for the brake shoes. The cables go for about $20 per and run from the handle to the wheel. You may need to lift some carpet to help snake the line. There are some write ups on other boards. Most of the work will be in replacing the shoes. They can come apart which can make getting the hub off a bit difficult. You need to loosen the star adjuster and if stuck, pry off to get by any ridge on the drums (since the shoes are to be replaced).

Old 07-28-2016, 11:33 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott Link
Hey there! I have a really great 94 850 sedan with only 141K miles on it. I bought it last year from the original owner and it came with a stack of service info. 3" thick. This guy never missed an oil change. The car has been great. I have only had to do the battery and rear brakes. I will do the timing belt in the fall along with the water pump at that time. I do like to do my own work.

Okay, When I did the rear brakes over the winter I noticed that the Emergency brake cable was broken on one side. The last section of cable linkage was missing. and the brake shoes were shot. I didn't do the work then because I wasn't planning on it and it was cold!! Now, I need to do the job for a sticker and as I dig in I'm wondering how this is done? The cable just disappears into the subframe never to be seen again!?!

Is this job as hard as it looks to do? Particularly without a lift? I can't seem to find any how to vids which worries me.

Any advice is appreciated.

Scott
Here is some Volvo instructions to help (see attached pdf)

Tim

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
VIDA Print.pdf (1.09 MB, 639 views)