Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Engine Just stopped running

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 07:58 PM
xps
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Just stopped running

hi guys, I got a quick question here. I was driving my Volvo and the engine just shut off. I didn't notice if it was over heating or not because it was unexpected. When I finally got to the gas station, thank god for me which was downhill, all the coolant fluid drained out. I have a squeaky belt for about three days now and there was some sort of rattling noise from the car as well this morning before it all happened. I just want to know, what are the chances that my engine is seased? I tried to turn over the engine at the gas after all the coolant was drained but she wouldn’t turn. I am so scared right now that my car is done. Does the Volvo 850 have some kind of sensor that would have made the engine turn off?

Old 03-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: please help

Sounds like you cooked it to me, if it won't even turn over. How hot did it get?

Old 03-06-2007, 08:32 PM

but she wouldn’t turn.
By wouldnt turn do you mean it wouldnt start, or not turn at all?

Sounds like a blown head gasket.but then i dont think a blown head gasket would cause the engine to not turn over.

Must have ceased it like Jim mentioned. Only other way im guessing for the engine to not turn is if the timing belt busted.

In any case, I wish you good luck.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:03 PM
xps

well, it makes the sound, "when you turn the key and hold it" not dead or off beat but it didn't turn over and run?

I barely drove the car 5 or 6 blocks and it's -35 right now where I live.

What could possibly make the car engine shut offin the middle of driving and allow the car to have fan and light power?

Old 03-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Many things. But maybe you broke the timing belt!!

Old 03-06-2007, 09:17 PM
xps

The timing belt, does it come up around the top? and go back down to the bottom? or it that the fan belt?

And if it was ceased would it continue to make the sound from turning the key, when turning the key? or would I notice a difference in the sound?

Old 03-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Administrator

The one you can see when you open the hood is the accessory belt.
the timing belt is under the black cover.
The engine would sound a little different but still turn over.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:39 PM
xps

ok yeah that accessory belt is still there, but I can't see the other belt, I am assuming plus the car is at the shop. From the mentioned symptoms, could it possibly be anything but the ceased engine? Driving along, engine stops and coolant leaks out when I parked and stopped the car. The coolant didn't leak from the resovore either it leaked from the bottom.

Also would there be steam or smoke from the engine? cause there was none whats so ever I lifted the engine to see and there was none.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:47 PM

If the engine is turning when you turn the key and if it sounds like it normally would while trying to start even though it wont start, then i doubt the engine is ceased. There may be no compression because the head gasket blew from overheating.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:49 PM
xps

so overall I guess this would be the best possible outcome for my scenario?
..and again does anyone know if it should have or would have smoked or steamed when ceased?

...... and would this head gasket cause the coolant to leak

thanks for the help here too guys greatly appreciated

Old 03-06-2007, 09:54 PM

The timing belt is easy to check. there is a black cover on the left side of the engine (if you are standing in front of the car). There is a 12 mm bolt holding the cover. Take the bolt out and lift the cover up. You will see the timing belt. If it is still on, then its not the timing belt and most likely the head gasket. Head gasket is easier im thinking and cheaper than replacing the motor.

Again, if the engine shut off, but still tries to star normally but wont catch, i would rule out the timing belt breaking or the engine seizing.

BTW, whats the proper spelling ? Seize? Cease? lol my english is getting bad [8D]

Old 03-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Administrator

It it was a headgasket it most likely would have steamed.

It could be: Fuel pump,Water pump went and took out timing belt,Radiator blew a hole in it, ETC

Old 03-06-2007, 10:15 PM

Im sorry that i did not read your first post properly. I was thinking that the engine did overheat. If the car did lose all the coolant, then its probable that the water pump did fail like Tech mentioned.

Check under the hood and see where the coolant leaked out from.either the hoses, or from under the timing cover. Coolant reservoir. I think that will help determin what went bad. Or maybe even a few pics of the engine.

Also an additon to my last post, even if the timing belt is on, check if there are any teeth missing. The belt may have skipped throwing your timing off. BTW, when was the last time your timing belt/water pump was replaced. Mileage on the car?

You mentioned the car is at the shop now. Just pray its something that will not be too heavy on your wallet. Good luck .

Old 03-06-2007, 10:40 PM

Nevermind, Im guessing your car has over 350,000 kms. thats pretty high. Good to know they run for that long.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:09 PM
xps

There was no smoke or steam at all. there was a squicky sound about too weeks ago that was from the belt probably so I said meh I will fix it later, then the sound started getting bad, almost shaking/grinding, "that was today" so I parked it and on my way to the shop the engine totally stopped running and leaked all the coolant out.

I'll be sure to come post tomorrow at 10am letting you all know what happens.

I do know the the water pump is gone considering the coolant was all over the floor LOL but I'm not sure about the engine cease. the main reason I got this idea was the simple fact of the cars not starting. Now with or with out a water pump a car should start right?

+ it's -35 outside right now, and I only went like 5 blocks in a small city. serious small blocks, till the car engine turned off. I had nothing but power for lights and fans, come to think about it I think the heater stopped too

Old 03-07-2007, 12:10 AM
xps

ORIGINAL: huzzsaba

Nevermind, Im guessing your car has over 350,000 kms. thats pretty high. Good to know they run for that long.
yes 364,000

Old 03-07-2007, 02:45 PM
xps

Alright the mechanic said there's no compression. Now he's thinking I may have blown the timming belt or even more damage then that.

He is also sayng a cople of hours to check if it's the timming belt, didn't someone say that the timming belt is one screw? and if so shouldn't it be less than a couple of hours to check that?

Should I scrap the car? or should I replace the parts he will probably going to suggest.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:15 PM

To check if the timing belt is broken should take 2 minutes max.It would take a couple of hours to replace the timing belt but not to check it.

If he refuses and says it will take a few hours, and wants to charge for those few hours, I say tow the car back home and check it yourself. Im pretty sure with all the info on this forum and other Volvo forums will get your car running again. No need to have someone work on the car that wants your money for no reason.

I do most work on my cars with the help of these forums. Ive even replaced the head gaskets on my 91 Legend V6 in the middle of winter outside my apartment lol.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:23 PM
xps

has anyone here ever had to replace a timming belt, and if so what was the cost of this job?

Old 03-07-2007, 03:34 PM

Im guessing it would cost around $250 dollars. It is a lot simpler than most cars i have seen. I will be doing mine in a month or two.

Quick Reply: Engine Just stopped running