Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Fickle odometer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fickle odometer?

I have a 1996 Volvo 850, and I noticed that the odometer had stopped working 2 days ago. I reset the trip meter to zero, to see if anything happened. It continued to stay at zero until just now, when it logged 7 miles. Is it possible that a bump caused it to skip the part of the gear that tends to break, or is there a possibility that it was just frozen in place temporarily?

Old 06-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fickle odometer?

I have not encountered one that ever fixed itself before but then again all of mine were broken when I bought the cars. I suppose anything is possible. My guess is that www.odometergears.com is in your future.

...Lee

Old 06-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I have seen a few that the motors messed up on as well. But check the gear.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:54 PM

Didn't work during the last two trips, I'm just going to go ahead and order the part.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

When I had to fix our odometer with a new gear, it was really dusty/dirty in there as well. I cleaned it out real well, replaced the gear and (so far) no more issues. So, I guess what I am saying is to clean it real well too. Might be a good time to replace any dash lights that need it as well

Old 06-17-2008, 09:30 PM

I just had to pull mine out tonight. The smallest gear was missing a tooth. I took pictures if anyone needs to or wishes to see disassembly of the instrument cluster, gears/motor, etc.

93, 850 GLT

Old 06-17-2008, 10:29 PM

And why did I take pictures - LOL? Some very helpful individual beat me to the punch. Here's step by step what you need to do....

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...ategory_id/161

Old 07-06-2008, 04:55 AM

pmalloy,
I had the exact same problem with my 1996 Volvo 850 turbo.
Does your volvo have ABS/track and is your ABS/track warning light illuminated by chance?
If so, you have a defective ABS module.

What does ABS module have to do with odometer not working?
In my case, my speedometer and odometer was working for about 30 miles or so, and stopped working whenever I hit a bump, but it was just coincidence.

After repairing my ABS module, now my speedo/odometer works great.

Let me know if I can assist you any further.

John

Old 07-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

So the speedometer was acting up because the ABS module was bad. Interesting! I can see where this could happen but have never heard of it before. Thanks for the info

Old 07-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am still at a loss to understand how the ABS has anything to do with the speedometer/odometer.

Mygreat850turbo, how is it that you believe these two are connected?

Pmalloy
, for your signature pic change the [IMG] to [IMG] and your photo will show. It worked for mine.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iam still at a loss to understand how the ABS has anything to do with the speedometer/odometer.

For cars 96 and on the speedometer signal is generated by the the ABS module based oninputs from the wheel speed sensors. If the speedometer is working but the odometer is not it is almost always the gear.

...Lee

Old 07-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: Quick Brick

I am still at a loss to understand how the ABS has anything to do with the speedometer/odometer.

Mygreat850turbo, how is it that you believe these two are connected?

Pmalloy
, for your signature pic change the [IMG] to [IMG] and your photo will show. It worked for mine.

The ABS module helps calculate wheel speed with the transmission to set the speedometer speed.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you mean via the ABS tone ring?

Interesting. Not like the old days when it was run directly off the transmission.

I kinda them days, but don't want to go back. Sort of like high school.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:48 AM

Quick Brick,
First off, here is the howStuffWorks link I found about the ABS break, which would shed some lights on ABS; http://auto.howstuffworks.com/anti-lock-brake1.htm

As Ozark Lee and Tech explained earlier, speedo sensor(s) at each wheel feeds speed info to the ABS controller module for the optimum ABS operation.

If your speedometer works (not your odometer), then as Ozark Lee said, it is your odometer gear.
In my case, both speedo and odometer didn't work. I still do not understand exactly, but apparently odometer gets speed information from the wheel speed sensor as well, and calculates the distance you've driven based on the speed and your wheel size. That is how I think speedo sensor(s) affects the odometer.

If you have any warning lights on, I would take your Volvo to a nearby Autozone or any other autopart store that offers a free diagnostic service for a second opinion.

The reasons for the speedo meter not functioning properly in my opinions are:
Defective wheel sensor(s) on your wheels or the defective ABS controller module that process the speed informaton. My 850 Turbo has ABS with Track on capability, and I used to have both ABS and Track warning lights on. I spent a fair amount of time surfing the net and found Ozark Lee's DIY ABS module repair + Odometer gear repair write-ups etc, but I have come to conclude that it wasn't the odometer gear. Thought about repairing the ABS module myself, but having 10+ year old soldering gun that doesn't heat up in addition to other tools required to open up the ABS module and other reasons, I decided to send my unit for repair (I spent about $100 including S+H).

You will need a female torx socket "E5" to remove the ABS module. There are 4 screws holding the unit, but it is in really a tight spot to get access to, especially if you have a large hand. This will surely test your patience level and make you a better person afterwards.

Hope this helps!

John