Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Found an 850..."Hole in Motor"

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found an 850..."Hole in Motor"

Found another one in town, the one from last week "Blown gaskets" didnt pan out, but I found this other one.

It's a 1995 850 Sedan, "TURBO", Black interior, Pewter Exterior, with the Rear Spoiler.

The ad says "500.00, because it has a Hole in the bottom of the motor"

Now, This could mean they hit something and popped a hole in the oil pan. made a mess, that's an easy fix.

It could be a hole from a blown rod too.

Could be the oil all drained out the oil pan and blew the motor...

Car is super clean, couple little bumps on the little front lip of the hood, and one little plemish on the bumper, but a very clean car inside and out.

I can get the money up, that isnt a problem, and Ive got an email in to the guy right now, wanting more info on the engine...I hope this one works out, and it ends up being a simple oil pan issue.

using the pictures, I can say:

Recent owner was likely 20-21, give or take, possible younger. The Skater sticker on the windshield speaks volumes.

I can assume that like most youths, the oil was never changed, and the car was likely pushed hard, This would lead me to think possibly blown engiine.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:31 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Found an 850..."Hole in Motor"

I think you have accurately analysed the recent owner. I would expect the worst from the engine. I would also look for signs of body repair; the left side bumper seems to have a minor paint peeling, as well as other minor dents.

If it were me I would buy it for $700 and replace all fluids & consumables and make it as good as it can be, but for many average drivers it is not worth the money or time. Well, it could be your New Year’s project.

JPN

Old 01-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Good luck.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:40 PM

What does a good B254T long block usually go for?

Old 01-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Prices varry depending on milage to look around.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:35 PM

Based on how this guy has described problems on other cars in the past, Im very inclined to say it is an oil pan problem, my main worry is that it was obviously running when the oil pan was damaged, and based on the fact it was backed up to this building...it came in on a flatbed, so it isnt running.

These cars are pretty low, could be he bottomed out, saw smoke out the back from the oil coating the exhaust...pulled to the curb and called for a tow..in other words no engine damage beyond the oil pan, possibly oil pickup. This is pretty much a best case scenario. I could probably fix the oil pan, or replace it..500 for the car, 100 in gaskets and parts, oil, etc and have a good running, good looking 850 Turbo.

Worst case, motor is grenaded, and based on EBAY, the motors are going for under 650 shipped..1200 isnt bad either, but more than Im willing to put into a car right now.

I know it was used recently based on the OBAMA decal, they would have been put on sometime before November, but after about April.

SO it hasnt been sitting, and the car looks dirty and the last good rain we got was about 2 weeks ago, it looks like it was driven in the rain recently..so Id say it was operating 2 weeks ago.

I wish he'd email me back.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:32 PM

Finally heard back from him, more Vague descriptions too...

"The hole is like, towards the bottom, you know, around the oil pan area".

So I know absolutely nothing more than I did before opening the email..

I guess Ill just have to go down there myself, or send someone I know/trust to figure out where exactly the hole is...also if its in the pan, take a gallon of crappy oil, a funnel, and a big drain pan. Slip the pain under it, start glugging in the oil and see if it will fire. If it makes oil pressure and is quiet, Id feel comfortable that the engine is sound. If it cranks up and makes the "bolts into a metal fan" noise, I know it will need a new engine.

I mean, Im asking the guy straight forward questions like "what part of the motor is damaged, where exactly is the hole"...

The problem is he is 30 minutes away, and they close when the place I work at closes. Ill be off on Friday, but will it still be around???

Should this car be able to do a "burnout" in stock trim? People are telling me that the car is "sporty" but not "quick"...Id think with 222hp, and being FWD, it should be able to at least bark the tires on pavement. Wish it was a manual.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These cars do not really "burnout" too good. Mainly because they are turbocharged which causes what is called "turbo lag". You really notice the power once they hit about 2000 rpm, but not much speed off the line. The best feel is on a 50-60 mph rollout. It really takes off at those speeds cause it drops down two gears and the turbo kicks in. Feels much better in sport mode. I get a little tire squeeling in mine when I floor it off the line on dry pavement, but not much. Flooring it off the line while making a turn squeels pretty good, but has a tendency to want to go straight so hold onto the wheel. By the way "burning out" is not good for tire wear.

As far as buying the car I would try and get it if I was you cause it a rather rare color scheme that I like quite a bit. If you have to put another engine in it so be it. If you get it and decide not to put an engine in it you can probably triple your money just parting it out.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:12 PM

Well, all indications now are it has slung a rod.

The latest bit of info Ive gotten is there is a Dime sized hole in the lower portion of the engine, but not specifically the oil pan.

I did find a mint 1984 Toyota Celica GT-S Convertible (only 300 made) for a little over a grand, and also found a clean 1998 Corvette convertible for 8500.00...The Volvo is still the best deal Ive found.

I cant put my Current corvette back on the road for what it would cost to fix this Volvo, so getting the Vovlo makes sense from that standpoint.

I just hate the idea of putting in an unknown engine into a car.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:00 AM
VJZ

ORIGINAL: RED ****

Well, all indications now are it has slung a rod.

The latest bit of info Ive gotten is there is a Dime sized hole in the lower portion of the engine, but not specifically the oil pan.

I did find a mint 1984 Toyota Celica GT-S Convertible (only 300 made) for a little over a grand, and also found a clean 1998 Corvette convertible for 8500.00...The Volvo is still the best deal Ive found.

I cant put my Current corvette back on the road for what it would cost to fix this Volvo, so getting the Vovlo makes sense from that standpoint.

I just hate the idea of putting in an unknown engine into a car.

Are you near Indianapolis, IN?

Is that Celica white with a black top?

If so, that car is very very clean. I was going to get that but I decided not to because It would be dumb to have a RWD convertible as a winter car and daily driver.

As far as the notion for parting it out goes, DO IT. That is unless you want the car to drive and, by all means, throw an engine into it.

Look at me for inspiration. I am here because I parted out a car and made enough money to buy an 850 T wagon.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:55 PM

Nah, It's down here in Florida. It looks like a Triple black.

Id like to find a T5-R, or at least a 850Trubo with a manual trans.

But Ill settle for a 850 Turbo Automatic.

Going to look at it tomorrow.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Where in FLA is it?

Old 01-08-2009, 10:53 PM

Northwest/Panhandle.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Oh ok a little to far from me. I am in Orlando.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:01 AM

Well I got to look at it, sit in it...etc.

Clean on the inside, 171K on the ODO. ECC, Premium Radio, Wood Grain on the dash, everything is intact except the cover is taken off the console door lid.

The engine is indeed grenaded, Little window in the side of the block, it absolutely went up real big.

Front bumper would need to be replaced, looks like it bumped a truck with a hitch, went through the cover, just superficial though. The drivers side looks great, the rear is clean save for a little ding in the bottom of the deck lid.

The passengers side was the deal breaker for me. Looks like it was sideswiped. The mirror is gone out of the passenger side housing, some scuffs down the side, and some body work will be needed just above the body seam behind the rear tire, as well as at the body seam in front of the rear tire. Almost looks like it was guardrailed a little.

Front tires are bald and look like they may have been spun a few times, I wouldnt drive it out the driveway on those things.

Some kid took a perfectly good car in probably 8/10 condition overall and managed to mess up the body, and blew the motor. Id guess he over revved it spinning the tires, or doing handbrake burnouts.