Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Friend just bought an 850

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Friend just bought an 850

Hey guys. A friend of mine just bought an 850 sedan and there's a few things that need taken care of. First of all, how would we go about getting the interior cover off the sunroof? The cloth one that slides over it as a sunshade. It needs taken out because the layer of cloth covering it has come off on the one side and needs stitched back on, but can't be done with it on.

Also...the low oil level light comes on at random times, and every time it does I've checked the oil level and it's right where it's supposed to be. What can I do about this issue?

...and finally, a little light comes on on the dash every time you touch the brake pedal. Is this supposed to happen? It's really annoying. If it's not supposed to happen, what do we do to fix it?

Appreciate all the help, guys!

Old 01-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Default RE: Friend just bought an 850

ORIGINAL: Tatanko

Also...the low oil level light comes on at random times, and every time it does I've checked the oil level and it's right where it's supposed to be. What can I do about this issue?
Have someone check your oil pressure with a mechanical oil pressure gauge immediately. If poor oil pressure, you will need to remove the oil pan and inspect oil pick-up. Probably, a busted o-ring -- possibly, time for a new oil pump. If good oil pressure, replace oil sending unit.

ORIGINAL: Tatanko

...and finally, a little light comes on on the dash every time you touch the brake pedal. Is this supposed to happen? It's really annoying. If it's not supposed to happen, what do we do to fix it?
Could you have a burnt out stop light bulb in taillights or 3rd eye in back window?

These are the first things that I did to the 850 I bought last summer...

Drain and Refill (NOT Power Flush) Auto Trans Fluid
New 87C/190F Wahler Thermostat
New OEM Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) sensor
New Zerex G-05 (yes, it must be G-05) Coolant
New OEM front O2 sensor
New Interstate MT-47, MT-48 battery
New Rubber Inserts for Headlight Wipers - made from 1990-93 Honda Accord Passenger side (2)

Old 01-02-2006, 06:47 PM

ORIGINAL: robert213

Have someone check your oil pressure with a mechanical oil pressure gauge immediately. If poor oil pressure, you will need to remove the oil pan and inspect oil pick-up. Probably, a busted o-ring -- possibly, time for a new oil pump. If good oil pressure, replace oil sending unit.
I'll be sure to get that done.
ORIGINAL: robert213

Could you have a burnt out stop light bulb in taillights or 3rd eye in back window?
I checked every single light on the car. Everything works, and as it's supposed to. This was my first thought as well, but nothing is wrong with any of the lights.

Old 01-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Check the bulbs them selves. If one has a copper base and one has a silver base that will throw the rersistance down and make the computer think one is out.

And oh yah to get the inner headliner for the sunroof out. Remove the sunroof glass. Then you should be able to slide it out and undo the clips on the sides and it should slide out. You might also have to remove a couple of screws in the back of the assembly.