Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Friggin' CVs, again!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Friggin' CVs, again!

So, roughly a month and a half ago, I had my mechanic replace both of the axles on my car with brand new ones because both of the old ones had cracked boots from the normal wear and tear of 150K miles and were both clicking badly in sharp turns.

Here is my new problem. A couple of days ago, I was making a sharp right turn and I started hearing the dreaded clicking again, just very faintly. I then noticed that my car ONLY makes it in right turns, not in left turns. Surely, I thought to myself, that this sound cannot be one of the CVs again. Well, to double check, I looked underneath the car, and sure enough, the large clamp on the right most CV on the right axle had popped off and grease had spilled out. I find this very aggravating, and have a few questions.

1. Why did it do this? Was it just a defective part?
2. Is it too late to fill it back up with grease and re-clamp it, or will the whole axle have to be replaced again?

I would also like to mention that I could not see where the clamp went. It may have fallen off onto the road, but I am also thinking that it could have possibly slipped somewhere else down along the axle and is rattling against something but only in right turns. That might explain why the sound is not exactly the same as before. While this seems unlikely, what do you guys think? Maybe I'll post a video on Youtube for you all.

Either way, I'm taking it back to my mechanic.

Thanks in advance!

1995Volvo850

Old 07-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your mechanic only replaced the CV joints, then the clamp coming off is due to installation error. If your mechanic replaced the entire half shaft, then it is do to product failure. As to adding more grease. Don't bother. If it's already clicking, then replace it. Technically, you could remove the joint, clean it out, and repack it with grease. (Poor mans fix) It might make the clicking go away, it might not. Either way, if you are hearing clicking you are hearing wear. And the labor behind the poor mans way is just as, if not more intensive, than replacing it. It's really only for the guy that can afford grease, but not the joint. So don't do it. The only reason I even mentioned it, is because you inquired. And it was more for informational purposes, than a suggestion you do it.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 058ovlov
If your mechanic only replaced the CV joints, then the clamp coming off is due to installation error. If your mechanic replaced the entire half shaft, then it is do to product failure. As to adding more grease. Don't bother. If it's already clicking, then replace it. Technically, you could remove the joint, clean it out, and repack it with grease. (Poor mans fix) It might make the clicking go away, it might not. Either way, if you are hearing clicking you are hearing wear. And the labor behind the poor mans way is just as, if not more intensive, than replacing it. It's really only for the guy that can afford grease, but not the joint. So don't do it. The only reason I even mentioned it, is because you inquired. And it was more for informational purposes, than a suggestion you do it.
He replaced both entire half shafts. I had a feeling it was a defective part.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by 1995Volvo850; 12-14-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by 1995Volvo850
He replaced both entire half shafts. I had a feeling it was a defective part. Damnit.

Thanks for the advice!
No problem. Take it back and see what they'll do. Worst case scenario, they send the part back under warranty and just charge you for labor. Best case scenario, they have good customer service, and take care of the whole thing. You never know until you ask.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:21 PM

Personally though. If it was me and it was only a month and a half ago, I would be pushing to have it done for free. As should you. I don't know what their warrantee is as far as how long parts and or labor are covered. But given you just had it done, any reputable shop, should replace the half shaft for free. I just wanted to clarify my previous statement, so you wouldn't be quick to repay for labor because you were 10-12 days past their 90 day or whatever labor warrantee.

Last edited by 058ovlov; 07-05-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:48 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll be the devils advocate here. There is always a chance, it's a small one but something could have bounced up and nailed the clamp and knocked it loose.

I would think the mechanic, if it's a shop and not some guy in his garage would do it for free and file a labor claim with the parts manufacturer on it and not charge you so as to keep you happy.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:02 PM

Well, my mechanic is a great guy, and as I expected he said the whole half shaft is covered under warranty and he will change it out for free. Good man!