Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Front Fogs, Two, One, None and fuse MIA

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Fogs, Two, One, None and fuse MIA

Hi All,

The front fogs on my wagon are out. (Factory Fogs I should add)

Initially I noticed one was out, and as this was one that I replaced the bulb in a few months ago, I was surprised. I looked underneath and as I touched it, it came on. I left well alone, but a little while later, both went out and the switch on the dash is no longer illuminated when the lights 'should' be on.

We've had a lot of snow and mush and I wouldn't have been surprised if damp got in, but then, the mystery deepened. I went to look at the fuse, alledgely fuse #18 and alas NO fuse in that slot. I checked all other fuses, and to my surprise the ABS one was out, funny because no alerts on the dash, the light goes out normally at start up and I felt them work yesterday. I replaced the ABS fuse and all seems ok.

BUT, where is my fog wired to? All other fuses seem ok, they are factory fogs, using the factory fog switch inside, could they have really bypassed the fuse box??

Any ideas would be greatly received.

Thanks!

Old 01-25-2006, 09:03 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Front Fogs, Two, One, None and fuse MIA

Did the light come on when you replaced the fuse?

There should be a fuse for them.

Old 01-25-2006, 11:44 PM

Hi Tech,

They have been working for months, with the exception of one bulb blowing which I replaced. So today, when one went, the other was still working and the dash switch still illuminated. Then for whatever reason, the other one and the switch went, sounding just like the fuse had blown.

When I pulled the box, the fuse slot for 'front fogs' #18 was empty, and with the excpetion of the ABS fuse(which I still dont understand, must have just happened), all were in good order.

This is so strange, or seems that way to me????

Old 01-25-2006, 11:46 PM

And sorry...

Even though no existing fuse was in slot 18, I tried putting a 15A in, and it made no difference.

Any ideas??

Old 01-26-2006, 12:49 AM
Administrator

I will try to remember to look at a wiring diagram tomorrow.

Old 01-27-2006, 04:47 AM

Thanks Tech, I appreciate it.

I'm stumped with this, I mean one would presume it would be 'factory fused', but I can't find a fuse for it, and it can't be piggybacked, every other electrical function is working.

The only thing I can think of, and snow has stopped me crawling around, is that maybe some issue arose at some time, and someone decided to put an inline fuse in or something???

Who knows, bizarre to me.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:23 AM
Administrator

With looking at the wiring diagram. Here is what I found It does run through the fuse you found. Then there is a relay under the dash inside the car. Sorry no pics there is no printer hooked up to the computer.

Pull the lower dash panel on the drivers side. Then look up under the dash infront of the hood release handle. You will see relays under there. The fog light relay is the upper most one on the left side of the relay box. It is pretty hard to see. you might have to remove a couple of relays to get to it.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:13 PM

I'll pull that in a bit Tech, and see if its that, but, that still leaves me wondering where the fuse is, slot 18 is empty.

Still if it IS the relay, that would be ok, but I have a sneaky suspicion the fuse would have gone, so finding it would be useful, how ridiculous does this sound, can't find a fuse!! It has to have been wired outside the fuse panel somehow.

Will let you know what I find and thanks Tech.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Administrator

When I looked at the wiring diagram it looked like it ran through the fuse that you said was Blown.

Old 01-28-2006, 04:29 PM

Just in case I confused you Tech, for which I apologise, what I found when I opened the fuse box, was that no fuse was in place in slot #18, the slot that the book said was for the fogs.

So, I checked all other fuses, thinking maybe it was wired in a non conventional way and the only one that was blown was a ABS fuse, which I replaced.

Again, sorry if I misled you.

Old 01-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Administrator

I will relook on MON. But I think it is also tied to the ABS fuse as well.

Old 01-28-2006, 10:20 PM

Thanks Tech, I failed to grasp that the two were connected, and its too dark to look now, but I'll revisit the ABS fuse (as well as the relay), who knows, perhaps it blew again and I didn't realize. We had a lot of snow/water, maybe I had a short or something.

Thanks again mate.

Old 01-28-2006, 11:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The harness hook-up is above kick panel on driver's side -if they put factory lights on the car that did not have them new, they could put inline fuse in there. The plugs are yellow, it gives power to the fog lights and illuminates the switch (if parking or head lights are ON). Is it possible that (coinsidently) bulb inside the switch went out.
I put aftermarket fogs using factory switch and harness -had to modify the harnes and used $5 relay because OEM relays(3 ) come in the OEM fog lights kit only.

Old 01-29-2006, 03:27 PM

Tech,

Sorry if I made this more complicated than required, you were quite right, the fogs are fused through the ABS, and not through the fog fuse slot as the manual suggests.

I checked, replaced and blew a 3rd fuse, so a clean of the contacts at the bulb end, seems to have fixed it, all done.

Lesson learned, don't trust the handbook!

Yurionel, that was interesting, thank you. I'm also planning to fit some driving lights, well once I can find a subtle location, so the more I hear, the better.

Thanks Guys.