Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Front Rattling Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Rattling Noise

Hi everyone, I've been considering buying a Volvo and it's my first time on these forums. I just looked at a '95 850 sedan that's in great shape, the only issue being that when I test-drove it I heard a sharp rattling in the front whenever Idrove over a bump. It sounded like it was coming from the front driver's side, but I couldn't be sure. The car handled fine on smoother paved roads, it was only the bumps that brought the rattle.

The person selling the car (whoknew very littleabout car maintenence of any kind) told me that his mechanic had described it asa brake issue, and that "Volvos do that sometimes." He'd been driving with the rattle for about a year. I was skeptical of his diagnosis, and plan on talking to his mechanic first, but thought I would ask here to see if anyone had any ideas, or knew what the problem might be. The previous owner just had new brakes installed and new CV and ball joints put it. Is this something that would be a major fix, or really just nothing to worry about?

Old 09-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Front Rattling Noise

Sounds like it is either a bad sway bar link or the upper spring seat bad.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I concur.. might possibly also be a sway bar bushing, but I'm betting on the end links. If that is the cause, the end links are simple to replace.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:12 AM

What is the proceedure for diagnosing front end problems? I also have a driver's side thump when hitting potholes, but there is also a general roughness over all surfaces. I looked at all the joints, and they look ok, but I'm sure that something up there needs replacing.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:01 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Roge

Hi everyone, I've been considering buying a Volvo and it's my first time on these forums. I just looked at a '95 850 sedan that's in great shape, the only issue being that when I test-drove it I heard a sharp rattling in the front whenever Idrove over a bump. It sounded like it was coming from the front driver's side, but I couldn't be sure. The car handled fine on smoother paved roads, it was only the bumps that brought the rattle.

The person selling the car (whoknew very littleabout car maintenance of any kind) told me that his mechanic had described it asa brake issue, and that "Volvos do that sometimes." He'd been driving with the rattle for about a year. I was skeptical of his diagnosis, and plan on talking to his mechanic first, but thought I would ask here to see if anyone had any ideas, or knew what the problem might be. The previous owner just had new brakes installed and new CV and ball joints put it. Is this something that would be a major fix, or really just nothing to worry about?

I would definitely stay away from that mechanic; he doesn't seem privy to Volvos.

JPN

Old 09-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to a mechanic that speializes in Volvos and have a pre-purchase inspection. It should run around $65 and is money well spent. It will serve many puproses. First if you are told there is a reason to not buy the car at all, you just spent $65 to avoid spending possibly thousands. If there are little things wrong it will give you bargaining power with the seller. If you find other things wrong you will know what needs to be fixed on the car.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I talked to the mechanic in question who also diagnosed the problem asa badsway bar link, and says that it's commonfor people driving on the bumpy paved and dirt roads in my area. It was the seller who was ignorant of the problem and was giving me bad information based on his faulty memory. The prepurchase inspection also seems like a good idea, and I see about having one done so as to catch any other possible problems.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:19 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck, and come back if you need additional assistance.

JPN