Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

My S40's making a rattling noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My S40's making a rattling noise

My S40 (2 1/2 years old, 1.8SE) has started rattling.

It always used to be pretty silent and I was always very happy with it... I even commented how quiet it was in august when I got back from holiday and drove it for the first time.

The car just sounds like ****, I've taken it to 1 dealer and they have replaced the power steering pump... to no avail. They have now come to the conclussion that it's a normal sound and is a sign of "wear and tear" (although did say bring it back if I wasn;t happy and they will look again). There is no way a car can go from sounding silent though to being like this just due to wear and tear (this has been going on for a few months).

Anyone else have any experience of this?

Thanks
Danny

P.S. I happened to be speaking to someone else today who has said that thier S40 rattles as well...

Old 11-24-2006, 02:50 AM
Default RE: My S40's making a rattling noise

I had a rattle problem with my wife's car. Replaced both front swaybar links. Fixed the problem. $150.00 repair at a Volvo dealership

Old 11-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Are all the engine mounts good.

Old 11-25-2006, 06:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what does the noise sound like? How often does it happen? Is only when turning, accelerating etc? This may help us help you a bit more.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:27 AM

Thanks Guy's

I'm going back to the garage on tuesday so I'll mention these things as points to check.

The noise is constantly there (speed, turning etc do not as far as I can tell affect it - although it's hard to hear at high speeds because of the background noise and nouse of the engine itself)

The noise sounds a bit like a fan hitting a wire.. but it's pretty constant....

It's almost like something in the engine/car is mis-firing and is going off a second after it has supposed to (i.e. when the rest of the engine is "going off".

Anymore things to check would be welcome.

Old 04-28-2021, 09:16 AM
Default Absolutely

Originally Posted by dannyseager
My S40 (2 1/2 years old, 1.8SE) has started rattling.

It always used to be pretty silent and I was always very happy with it... I even commented how quiet it was in august when I got back from holiday and drove it for the first time.

The car just sounds like ****, I've taken it to 1 dealer and they have replaced the power steering pump... to no avail. They have now come to the conclussion that it's a normal sound and is a sign of "wear and tear" (although did say bring it back if I wasn;t happy and they will look again). There is no way a car can go from sounding silent though to being like this just due to wear and tear (this has been going on for a few months).

Anyone else have any experience of this?

Thanks
Danny

P.S. I happened to be speaking to someone else today who has said that thier S40 rattles as well...
My girlfriend has a 2008 volvo s40 and same about 3 months ago it drove quiet like a 2020 but now it's a progressive rattle under what seems to be both front tires depending on which one is carrying the most weight.
I've replaced tie rods, front struts,and control arms.. Anyone knows what my next steps should be?

Last edited by Rudy Ray Mo; 04-28-2021 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:53 AM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

Did you replace the strut mounts? Also, swaybar bushings and links can cause rattles. Bad axles can make noise as well, as can bad bearings ("rattle" is a broad term). And of course, there are plenty of sheet metal bits like brake dust shields and heat shields that can rattle like crazy, too.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:13 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Well a rattle is more like a loose plate etc , the strut mounts make a noise when the steering is turned , but is felt on the steering and is not a rattle. .
I never had the 1.8 but on the 2.4 problem was brakes and underplate , the brakes did rattle as the holding spring did not do the job and the plastic undertray the bolts came loose., on the T5 was an engine mount but it was not a rattle more like a clunk when going over a speed hump
You need to get under the car , a lift (or pit) is essential and check all the suspension as the rubbers can break but none of those will "rattle"
Perhaps me being from RSA / Czech rep the term rattle is different