Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Fuel problem

Old 07-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel problem

Okay my fellow Volvo-ers. I have a 1997 Volvo 850, non-turbo. Not getting fuel. Fuel pump was not coming on. Changed that and filter. Fuel pump now comes on. Still no fuel to the throttle body. Plugged in noid light to injector -pulsed. That should rule out cam/crank sensors? Can get vehicle to start by spraying starter fluid in tb. Dont have a fuel pressure gauge so cant check that yet - am I missing something? I'm thinking now, maybe I got a bad pump? Or is there a sensor or some regulator I am missing that may be the problem.

Here is the history of the problem, in case that helps. Car was running fine. Son drove to store, turned it off, came back out - it cranked but ran very rough. Called me, I drive out there, and then it just wont crank. No doubt it was fuel related, so I went through the above processes. I have to be missing something please help thanks

Old 07-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CajunPaul
Okay my fellow Volvo-ers. I have a 1997 Volvo 850, non-turbo. Not getting fuel. Fuel pump was not coming on. Changed that and filter. Fuel pump now comes on. Still no fuel to the throttle body. Plugged in noid light to injector -pulsed. That should rule out cam/crank sensors? Can get vehicle to start by spraying starter fluid in tb. Dont have a fuel pressure gauge so cant check that yet - am I missing something? I'm thinking now, maybe I got a bad pump? Or is there a sensor or some regulator I am missing that may be the problem.

Here is the history of the problem, in case that helps. Car was running fine. Son drove to store, turned it off, came back out - it cranked but ran very rough. Called me, I drive out there, and then it just wont crank. No doubt it was fuel related, so I went through the above processes. I have to be missing something please help thanks
Lack of fuel pressure won't keep the starter from cranking. Does the engine turn over (crank) or not?

How do you know you don't have fuel to the rail if you don't have a fuel pressure gauge? I think Autozone loans them out if you don't want to buy one. Is this a used fuel pump you put in?

Old 07-15-2011, 07:07 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Wont crank = You turn the key and nothing happens, dead .
Wont fire = You turn the key and the car tries to start but will not. Turns over and over and over.
Turns over = Starter engages and you can hear the car trying to start.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:01 AM

Sorry all - guess I didnt give enough info - and thanks for replying. The car turns over and over but will not fire. I checked for fire and I have spark at the plugs. I checked for fire at the injectors using a noid light and I have pulse. I can get the car to start with starter fluid.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Default Problem fixed

Thanks to the responders but the problem has been fixed. Rookie mistake - I put the new pump in wrong and the lines were crossed!