Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump

I've got a '95 850 turbo that quit on the road today. I think I've narrowed it down to the fuel pump, the fuel pump relay clicks but the pump doesn't start up. I want to check it tomorrow with a meter. This car is fairly new to me and this is my first issue with it. I see two plugs at the pump, one has green wires and the other red and black. I assume the red and black are the power supply to the pump?

Any tricks I should know in replacing the pump? I just want to have this go as smoothly as possible. Thanks

Old 05-16-2011, 10:05 PM

I took my pump out a couple times recently. One thing to be said about it is that the gas lines don't come off easily. I made a simple tool out of a pry bar that turned out to be a big help. You can find a picture of it in this thread:

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...el-pump-50495/

Scroll down a bit in the thread and you'll find it.

A second point, which I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I discovered the hard way, is that you'll make things much easier for yourself if you slip the black rubber gasket over the opening to the fuel tank first, rather than putting it on the fuel pump and then sliding the whole assembly into the tank. Do it the second way and you're likely to get gas dribbling all over the place every time you fill the tank. Bitter experience speaking here.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_F
I've got a '95 850 turbo that quit on the road today. I think I've narrowed it down to the fuel pump, the fuel pump relay clicks but the pump doesn't start up. I want to check it tomorrow with a meter. This car is fairly new to me and this is my first issue with it. I see two plugs at the pump, one has green wires and the other red and black. I assume the red and black are the power supply to the pump?

Any tricks I should know in replacing the pump? I just want to have this go as smoothly as possible. Thanks

Assume you want to verify it's the pump before you actually pull it? Good idea..

Get your helper to crank the engine while ck the red/blk wires with your Vmeter; should see approx 12v; if you don't see voltage then your problem is elsewhere; ck voltages at the fuel pump relay, etc.

If you do have 12v across the fuel pump (red/black) wires then try this; with a fairly large screw driver handle, mallet, or whatever, rap fairly sharply on the top of fuel pump housing (top of tank), then try to start the engine; bet (if it was indeed the fuel pump..) it will start and run briefly, or may even continue to run. If this is the case, replace the fuel pump.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by gdog
...with a fairly large screw driver handle, mallet, or whatever, rap fairly sharply on the top of fuel pump housing (top of tank), then try to start the engine; bet (if it was indeed the fuel pump..) it will start and run briefly, or may even continue to run. If this is the case, replace the fuel pump.
I had the same problem with my fuel pump a few years ago and did this to isolate the problem to the pump itself. I just pulled the metal cover, rapped on the top of the pump a few times with the handle from a screwdriver and she started up.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@ Steve_F: where are you located?

Old 08-06-2011, 02:52 PM

Sorry guys, I had been real busy at work and was away from the Board.

I got this figured out, it was indeed the fuel pump. When I went to replace it I discovered someone had been there before me and appeared to have repalced just the pump portion. The wires were just twisted together with no insulation and they had overheated, so much so that they melted into the plastic housing.

I replaced the whole pump assembly ($240!) and haven't had trouble since.

Thanks for your help guys!

Henry, I'm in LaGrangeville, just east of Poughkeepsie