Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Gasket seal question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gasket seal question

I am ordering a PCV kit and I am wondering if anyone who has done this used gasket seal/ form a gasket or anything like that on the intake gasket or does it seal up ok with just torquing the bolts? Also what is the torque speck for these bolts? I did the rubber glove on the oil fill and it inflated as soon as I started it.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:44 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't have an answer to your questions only a problem area to look out for.
If it started inflating right away it may be plugged up in the pan too.
When you take the black box off you should try to see if the passages are open. If they are clogged just replacing the box isn't going to do anything.
Before you pull it apart you might want to drop in a can of engine cleaner.

Attached Thumbnails Gasket seal question-pcv-box-plugged-port.jpg   Gasket seal question-pcv-drain-holes.jpg   Gasket seal question-pcv-oil-pan-passage-blocked1.jpg   Gasket seal question-engine-flush-crc.jpg  
Old 07-30-2013, 02:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you mean the gasket for the intake manifold, there are 2 of them depending if the car has EGR or not. It is a normal "paper" or cardboard gasket.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

the stock gasket ususally comes off without being damaged and can be reused. I always put a very light film of sealant on it.

You could go with Snabbs poly gasket, it does not need sealant(but I did anyway) and is reusable.

Poly Intake Manifold spacer

Old 07-30-2013, 12:23 PM

I will be using the new gasket that comes in the PCV kit from IPD. On most things I use a thin film of sealant bit I was wondering if I should on this?
If I put in the engine cleaner I am guessing that I will need to change the oil is this correct? I just did an oil change.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I have never added any extra sealant to the gasket with no issues. I have actually reused a gasket with no leaks to my knowledge.

If you have to clean out the ports just change the oil again. Yes it's $35 down some drain but you're better off with a new PCV system.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Sealant is not necessary. If both surfaces are clean, the new gasket alone will seal just fine.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
Before you pull it apart you might want to drop in a can of engine cleaner.
Do I need to drain out a quart of oil before adding the quart of engine cleaner? I have never used engine cleaner before but I am planning to do this on Saturday.
Does anyone know the torque specs for the bolts on the intake?

Old 08-08-2013, 12:44 PM

20Nm for the intake manifold

Old 08-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Unless you are already over the "Full" mark dumping in one extra quart shouldn't cause you any trouble.

Depending on what product you buy READ THE INSTRUCTIONS !! Some engine flushes can be added and the vehicle driven which is good as the agitation and heat help break down build up. Others are a stronger formula and they say to only idle the engine for X amount of time and them change it out.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:36 PM

Unless you are already over the "Full" mark dumping in one extra quart shouldn't cause you any trouble.

Depending on what product you buy READ THE INSTRUCTIONS !! Some engine flushes can be added and the vehicle driven which is good as the agitation and heat help break down build up. Others are a stronger formula and they say to only idle the engine for X amount of time and them change it out.
I got the Napa auto parts brand and it says to only let it idle for 5 minutes. I'll do that and then change the oil and filter. It will probably be a week later before I can change the PCV parts. It will be interesting to see how much the engine flush does.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Administrator

It's a better idea to flush the engine after you do the PCV system as anything you loosen up or have to push into the engine while doing the system and you can't fish out will them be removed.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:47 PM

It's a better idea to flush the engine after you do the PCV system as anything you loosen up or have to push into the engine while doing the system and you can't fish out will them be removed.
I keep going back and forth on that. On one hand I didn't want to gum up all the new parts right away but on the other hand it makes sense that it would help clean up the remaining crud.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:02 AM

I installed the PCV kit this weekend. I can say this has been my least favorite project on this car. Every time I touched any of the old hoses it seemed like I had to replace them so it took about 7 hours all together what with going to get hoses and stuff.
In the directions I printed out it refers to the PTC, what is or does that mean? The PTC looks like a small valve or something and I would consider replacing it just so I know there is no blockage there but I don't know what PTC stands for.
The IPD kit had a part in it with the Volvo number 8653339 that looks like a sleeve of some sort but I never figured out where it went if anyone has any idea let me know?

Old 08-12-2013, 12:17 AM
Administrator

The PTC is the valve positioned into the intake tube just before the turbo's intake.

Volvo number 8653339 that looks like a sleeve should be the seal between the port on the black box and the engine block.

Attached Thumbnails Gasket seal question-pcv-parts-diagram.jpg   Gasket seal question-ptc-valve-location-intake-tube.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 08-12-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:46 AM

What does PTC stand for. I did not use that sleeve but the hose that was on there was still OK. I did find the one hose clamp that I didn't tighten on the intake when I was driving and the hose poped off the throttle body and I suddenly had no power. OPPs

Old 08-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Administrator

PTC = Positive Thermal Coefficient

Old 08-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Positive Temperature Coefficient. It isn't a valve at all, it is a resistor (thermistor, technically). It just means that as temperature increases, resistance increases. The opposite would be a NTC (Negative Temperature Coefficient), in which case resistance decreases as temperature increases.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:27 PM

I looked this part up on FCP and IPD and it only comes as part of the turbo hose. Can any one tell me if I can pull out just this part to clean it or do I have to remove the entire hose? I saw a write up on the PCV change out and the person said they cleaned the PTC and the did it with brake cleaner. That sounds like it would be to strong for cleaning anything with plasic or rubber parts.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:35 PM

It is possible to remove it without removing the entire hose. HOWEVER, to re-install I had to remove the hose, but I would say it is feasible to do it without removing the hose. Personally, to make sure you get a thorough seal I would take the hose out. It is not hard to remove the hose

Quick Reply: Gasket seal question