Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

has anyone tinted there tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone tinted there tail lights?

I've been trying to find pictures of a white, plat, or silver volvo with black tinted tail lights, but can't find a picture to save my life. I've been thinking of tinting mine but very nervous cause if I don't like it I'm ****ed...

Old 08-24-2013, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by bbiljah
I've been trying to find pictures of a white, plat, or silver volvo with black tinted tail lights, but can't find a picture to save my life. I've been thinking of tinting mine but very nervous cause if I don't like it I'm ****ed...
Get an extra set from the local u pull it yard and give it a try worse case scenario, you still have a set that isn't tinted and can switch back

I would suggest checking local regulations first though, as it may not be legal where you are to tint the lights. I know around here they tend to frown on it if it wasn't a factory option...

Old 08-24-2013, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by 97-850Wagen
Get an extra set from the local u pull it yard and give it a try worse case scenario, you still have a set that isn't tinted and can switch back

I would suggest checking local regulations first though, as it may not be legal where you are to tint the lights. I know around here they tend to frown on it if it wasn't a factory option...
I'm in retard capitol of the world (daytona) every tool has there tail lights tinted, I just want em tinted a smidge some of these guys have theres so drk you can barely see the break lights lol but I know it's not illegal as long as all tail light funtions are visable. As for the junk yard idea, that is probably my best solution.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:07 PM

If every tool has theirs tinted.. be different

I put v70 tails on my 97 855R. I like the turn signal lamp being clear instead of amber. My local pull a part was under $40 for the upper lenses only.

Make sure you get the lamp insert, it's slightly different from the 850 tails to the v70 tails.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by johnwartr
If every tool has theirs tinted.. be different

I put v70 tails on my 97 855R. I like the turn signal lamp being clear instead of amber. My local pull a part was under $40 for the upper lenses only.

Make sure you get the lamp insert, it's slightly different from the 850 tails to the v70 tails.
Have pics? I would like to see that =]

Old 08-24-2013, 04:27 PM

Quickest pic I could find..

Old 08-24-2013, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by johnwartr
Quickest pic I could find..

Yea that looks nicer! I'll tint mine if I can find a pair of those cheap, just need the top parts? Also what year?

Last edited by bbiljah; 08-24-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:42 PM

idk if you will be able to see on mine

Attached Thumbnails has anyone tinted there tail lights?-tail.jpg  

Last edited by 97black850; 08-24-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in retard capitol of the world (daytona) every tool has there tail lights tinted, I just want em tinted a smidge some of these guys have theres so drk you can barely see the break lights lol but I know it's not illegal as long as all tail light funtions are visable. As for the junk yard idea, that is probably my best solution.
It's definitely illegal; whether the cops care or not is another story.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:24 AM

Florida statue

316.221 Taillamps.—

(1) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer, and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of vehicles, shall be equipped with at least two taillamps mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as required in s. 316.217, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 1,000 feet to the rear, except that passenger cars and pickup trucks manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1972, which were originally equipped with only one taillamp shall have at least one taillamp. On a combination of vehicles, only the taillamps on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified. On vehicles equipped with more than one taillamp, the lamps shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable. An object, material, or covering that alters the taillamp’s visibility from 1,000 feet may not be placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied over a taillamp.
(2) Either a taillamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. Any taillamp or taillamps, together with any separate lamp or lamps for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the headlamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted. Dump trucks and vehicles having dump bodies are exempt from the requirements of this subsection.
(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.
History.—s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 1, ch. 79-97; s. 173, ch. 99-248; s. 10, ch. 2000-313; s. 17, ch. 2006-290.

As long as it's visible are the proper distances, I've had my tail lights tinted since I was 16 now 23 and never had a problem, but cops around here have more things to worry about then tail lights even if its illgeal or not. Thanks for the heads up though, smoking my lights is just an idea.. Not even sure if I want to.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:02 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

but I know it's not illegal as long as all tail light funtions are visable.
WRONG

There is a specification on how far away that the tail, turn and stop lights have to be visible at. It's a DOT standard.
It's likely (I have no clue on your area) that any tinting might be a ticket-able offense.
BUT, like a lot of other things like loud exhaust, heavily tinted windows, license plate light out ... you don't get pulled over for it alone if you're driving acceptably but if you do something wrong or they have any reason to pull you over it's going to be one more ticket they write while they have you.

In Minnesota I found out through someone elses bad luck that any cover on a license plate is in violation. I had always thought clear was acceptable but it's not. Glad he found out for me

Old 08-25-2013, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
WRONG

There is a specification on how far away that the tail, turn and stop lights have to be visible at. It's a DOT standard.
It's likely (I have no clue on your area) that any tinting might be a ticket-able offense.
BUT, like a lot of other things like loud exhaust, heavily tinted windows, license plate light out ... you don't get pulled over for it alone if you're driving acceptably but if you do something wrong or they have any reason to pull you over it's going to be one more ticket they write while they have you.

In Minnesota I found out through someone elses bad luck that any cover on a license plate is in violation. I had always thought clear was acceptable but it's not. Glad he found out for me

Same thing here in PA, but its more or less the sister state to Minnesnowta

Old 08-26-2013, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
WRONG

I posted the FL statue saying it has to be visable from X feet during day and or night, so if it visable while being tinted why not?
and I'm not talking aout a heavy tint I'm talking about a light smoke haha
Lets simmer down guys I Don't want to start pissing contest

Not this dark :
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0040_large.jpg

but lighter then this:

http://carphotos3.cardomain.com/imag...4403_large.jpg