Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Headlight Aiming

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Aiming

How do I do it?

I've spun the little wheel about 20 times and there has been 0 change in the bubble in the level. Also, I can't manage to spin teh big wheel so the lines match up...

The parts seem fragile and I'm afraid to break something...

I want to get these adjusted and aimed correctly before I install my HID kit.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Default RE: Headlight Aiming

Figured it out.

I was spinning the little wheel next to the big one which adjusts left/right but that's locked.

The part I was supposed to spin (up/down) is on the back of the headlight.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:49 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Jimmy, I was wondering how you were doing.

I hope you enjoy your HID kit. It's nice to have bright white beam (I assume the package says something like "this HID kit enables you to achieve light that is closer to daylight, etc...") than conventional yellowish halogen beam.

In case of fog/snow, however, yellow seems to work better than white. This is actually to make it easier for the oncoming traffic to see you, rather than make it easy for you too see through.

Good luck!

JPN

Old 08-09-2007, 06:58 PM

^Actually, I just got back from a 1 month vacation in China.

And that's where I picked up this HID kit. By looking at some of the other stores, looks like this kit is pretty well made and should last pretty long.

I actually opted for 6000k rather than sunlight, 4300k. I kind of like that blue tint.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:04 PM
JPN

>I kind of like that blue tint.
Agreed. I too like that blue tint.

A vacation to China? You could've hit Japan and got all sorts of automotive accessories (but I guess trip to China was less expensive than to Japan[8D]).

I hope you've had a good time and enjoyed the trip. I've never been there and the first 2 places I'd like to visit, only if I could afford to, are the U.K and Sweden.

Welcome home!

Kanji/JPN

Old 08-09-2007, 07:11 PM

^Only that in Japan, I can't communicate, and they'd probably tear apart foreigners....And isn't the conversion pretty much 1:1? Or 1:100 (but if I'm right, the minimum currency is 100). All I know is that Japanese stuff is not cheap...

Old 08-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RedTurbo850
And that's where I picked up this HID kit. By looking at some of the other stores, looks like this kit is pretty well made and should last pretty long.
Just curious, how long do the bulbs last? Can you get the spare bulbs in the US?\

Old 08-09-2007, 07:51 PM
JPN

>they'd probably tear apart foreigners....
That's one of the reasons I'm trying to get out[8D], and I'm not a foreigner either[8D].Actually, if you are a "white",people treat you very very very well in general (i.e.; inferiority complex). Or, even if you are not white but can speak English with no accent, they'll treat you very very very well (i.e.; inferiority complex).

>And isn't the conversion pretty much 1:1? Or 1:100 (but if I'm right, the minimum currency is 100).
It fluctuates everyday, but usually between US$1:103 yen to 120 yen or somewhere in that range.

>All I know is that Japanese stuff is not cheap...
Yes indeed. However, used cars lose value more quickly than anywhere else and for $15,000, you can buy a decent Lexus. But Volvos are exceptions; a yellow T5R I found at a dealer was approx $14,000 or something like that.

I heard that the cost of living in the U.K is as bad.

Axel,

If I remember correctly, HID bulbs are filament-less and the discharge of Xenon gas (atomic #54) produces that intense light. They alsorequire less power than halogens and seem to have longer life; sort of like LEDs vs incandescent lamps. And if the wattage is the same, couldn't you replace with whatever is available in the US?

JPN

Old 08-10-2007, 05:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JPN
Axel,

If I remember correctly, HID bulbs are filament-less and the discharge of Xenon gas (atomic #54) produces that intense light. They also require less power than halogens and seem to have longer life; sort of like LEDs vs incandescent lamps. And if the wattage is the same, couldn't you replace with whatever is available in the US?

JPN
HID bulbs last longer, but they do die at some point in time. The socket, contacts, voltage and wattage have to be the same. Remember he bought the kit directly in China. It might not be designed using the same standards used by major manufacturers in the US.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:19 AM
JPN

>Remember he bought the kit directly in China.

JPN

Old 08-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: axelm

Just curious, how long do the bulbs last? Can you get the spare bulbs in the US?\
If you buy your HID's from SharpHID you can get bulb replacements right from them. Also if you get a set from MyDepots you can do the same thing. However I would seriously get the kit and replacement bulbs from SharpHID. John is great and his service he even better and the lifetime warranty just screams buy this kit over the MyDepots kit with a 14 month warranty.

Also you know you get less output with 6000K compared to 4300k-5000k. The only thing you are getting is a different color.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:39 PM

Supposedly, HID bulbs should last 2000 hours. Compared to the 200 hours of regular bulbs. As to spare bulbs, I think any 9006 HID bulb should work, so I could probably find it on Ebay??

If you buy your HID's from SharpHID you can get bulb replacements right from them. Also if you get a set from MyDepots you can do the same thing. However I would seriously get the kit and replacement bulbs from SharpHID. John is great and his service he even better and the lifetime warranty just screams buy this kit over the MyDepots kit with a 14 month warranty.

Also you know you get less output with 6000K compared to 4300k-5000k. The only thing you are getting is a different color.
Yep. You can definetely get extra bulbs from them, but so long as you don't touch the bulb, and you have a decent kit, you're probably never going to need the extra bulbs. However, they're cheap, so it's a nice precaution.

The place I got my kit is a street where all kinds of retailers and especially factories set up their stores. The kit I got looked to be one of the better made kits, and apparently the company is publically traded, so I assume they are pretty good.

I don't know if the sales person was lying to me or not, but she said that some of their big customers order a couple thousand, and the most they've ever sent back was 8. So hopefully this kit is decent.

Edit: As to light output, my friend actually picked up a 6000k bi-xenon kit from Mydepots in China for his MazdaSpeed Protege, and he lights up the entire street.

But you're right. 4300k is sunlight, so you're going to have more light output, but imo w/ HIDs you've got more than enough light..

Old 08-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Supposedly, HID bulbs should last 2000 hours. Compared to the 200 hours of regular bulbs. As to spare bulbs, I think any 9006 HID bulb should work, so I could probably find it on Ebay??

Yep. You can definetely get extra bulbs from them, but so long as you don't touch the bulb, and you have a decent kit, you're probably never going to need the extra bulbs. However, they're cheap, so it's a nice precaution.

The place I got my kit is a street where all kinds of retailers and especially factories set up their stores. The kit I got looked to be one of the better made kits, and apparently the company is publically traded, so I assume they are pretty good.

I don't know if the sales person was lying to me or not, but she said that some of their big customers order a couple thousand, and the most they've ever sent back was 8. So hopefully this kit is decent.

Edit: As to light output, my friend actually picked up a 6000k bi-xenon kit from Mydepots in China for his MazdaSpeed Protege, and he lights up the entire street.

But you're right. 4300k is sunlight, so you're going to have more light output, but imo w/ HIDs you've got more than enough light..
Yeah HID's nonetheless will be bright. However as you move higher in the Kelvin (K) range the less output you actually get.