Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Headlight removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 07:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight removal

Sounds like a stupid question I know. I mean I have 2 engines half apart putting them together today. I have one parts car that is going to the scrapper Monday. I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill, meaning I don't want to go through all the headlight alignment etc. So can anyone just describe the process to take out the RF headlight assy? Prob just a few (torx) screws but I don't see em...Thanks

Old 12-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Headlight removal

There is 3 10MM screws holding the entire assembly in.
First remove the corner light. Then there should be the screws. I know on the 94 and up it is like that. I think it is the same on the 93 but not 100% sure now that I think about it.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:42 AM

J,
I replaced the left headlight on my '93. If you want the whole "bucket" as Tech says, there are 3 actually bolts you have to get the whole thing out. I had to break apart the bucket on the already broken one that was in there to get the lower outside corner bolt out. There's a lug molded into the bucket (looks like a thick washer threaded through the middle). My lower 3rd bolt was slightly corroded and the whole lug broke free in the bucket housing when I torqued on it with the socket, but it didn't break out of the bucket completely, just turned free. After that happened I shot some J&B solvent on the threads, but too late. The lug wouldn't hold, so with the other 2 bolts out, I just broke that corner one out, which was quite easy — it's not abs, just a kind of brittle plastic. That trashed the bucket for good. I still had to get a vice grip on that lug so I could turn the bolt w. my socket wrench from inside. It was pretty resistant.

SUGGESTION. Don't try to unbolt those bolts until you've soaked the threads from inside the light cavity with the lens off and a straw on your solvent can. If the lugs break loose, you'd have to torch the head off the bolt from inside to get the bucket out in one piece. Even then, you might not be able to get the bolt shank out of the lug w/o breaking the bucket.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:51 AM

Oh, yeah - Good luck

Old 12-06-2008, 10:49 AM

Ya Jim,
I got it, the trick is to take out the hood latch first. That makes the whole bucket removal much easier. But thanks for your assistance...I also pulled the drip rails or whatever the windshield trim that goes along the whole body, I am going to do a DIY for the repair so people know how to remove and repair their own. This is a common 'weak spot' So I figured why not help others that have helped me. So in the not to distant future you will see a DIY on the trim removal, repair and replacement...If anyone repairs this on the car it will not look nearly as 'factory' as taking it off...although I still have a few more challenges to work out...I am sure I will get it...

Old 12-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like you have quite the project going right now

Old 12-07-2008, 08:52 AM

Yes PS...I certainly do! I didn't put the head on yesterday but I did manage to almost completely disassemble the cars interior...and I got the head ready to go on my motor. Today I'd like to do a strut swap, get the head on and maybe even pull the heater controls. Then it may be the front end and the block...not sure. After this project I found 2 more I may be interested in. One is a 95 - 960 ( engine) the other is a 97 850 wagon (front end) so probably one of those cars will be next.. and since I do not know exactly I am going to pull the parts for both off my parts car...Wanted to scrap it out Monday, but not sure that is 'real' may have to wait till Friday...just to much stuff going on...

Old 12-12-2008, 06:12 PM

Good Lord. I took it to the neighborhood gas station and they successfully handled all of this for $20. Some things are best handed to those with tools and pateince.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:42 PM

Dean...not quite sure I catch your drift...If you have something to say...go for it. I am a big boy... But I seriously doubt any service station would replace our head in 20 minutes. Ya the latch I did figure out...and yes it took me a few minutes, but if your service station attendant wants to race me putting one of our motors back together, we can have at it. Or if they want to try and beat me with a headlight now we can have at it too. I am not ashamed to say I do not know everything, but I can learn. And sir sometimes I learn from the posts and those that post in the forum...You?