Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Heater hose keeps coming out of firewall

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater hose keeps coming out of firewall

I recently purchased a 95 850T Wagon from a small dealership, having hot weather her I never checked the heater before I purchased the car. Well, I had no heat so I ordered a new heater core from Groton. I pulled the old one out from under the dash and installed the new one and still I had no heat. I also noticed I still had some Orings and two yellow plastic connectors left over after the installation which I had no idea where they went. After a long inspection I noticed the heater hoses had been disconnected from the firewall and had been fitted to eachother with a small hose and clamps bypassing the heater core. I fitted the Orings and connectors on the hoses and plugged them into the firewall and PRESTO HEAT! But, the lower connector into the firewall has popped out twice now while driving, leaving me stranded, and I can't get it to stay in for anything. I now know why it had been bypassed in the first place.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I have new clips on the hoses, is the black reciever easily replacable?
Is it safe to use a permanant epoxy or maybe screw some kind of brace into the firewall over the connection?
I do want to be able to use the heater when it gets cold out!!!
Thanks!!!

Old 06-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: Heater hose keeps coming out of firewall

The hoses fit REALLY tight into the heater core. Basically you are going to have to push the hoses into the fitting until the plastic connectors "click", locking the hose into place. Once you think you have them in place and locked, give them a good tug to make sure they are locked in. As I said, it is pretty hard. I damn near felt like using a crowbar to pry them into locking position when I changed my hoses.

Good luck,

Glenn

Old 06-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Check in the lower hole and make sure there isn't to many spacers and o-rings.

If they never took the old ones out you installed the new ones over the old ones.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a great idea, I'll check if there are too many spacers.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Depending on which kit you got with the heater core. Some have 4 and others have 3.