Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Help! I am posting 2 new issues TECH??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! I am posting 2 new issues TECH??

Hi guys,

Been off the forum for some time (the wifes car had been behaving quite well until recently)

First issue Wifes 94 850 Turbo

last year I removed the entire front end to do all the suspension and rear main seal.
I replaced the ENTIRE front suspension Except the lower ball joints. (thankfully its a 94' and I don't need control arms also)
Well it handled and rode MUCH better but about 2 months ago while driving it I noticed some "new" clunks in both sides upfront. I jacked it up and "lo and behold" the lower ball joints were quite "loose". I ordered new ball joints from FCP and started on the drivers side.

I stripped everything down to the knuckle to have room and then removed the nut from the "pinch bolt". I gently spread it with a cold chisel but could not get the bolt free?
So thinking maybe the threaded portion of the bolt was "stuck" I carefully cut the bolt with a cutoff wheel in the middle. The threaded portion came out no problem with my fingers but the head of the bolt was stuck!!

So I soaked it in PB Blaster, WD-40 and liquid wrence for about 4 hours. Placed a punch in there and tried a little "italian persuasion" with a ball peen hammer. Well after a couple "whacks" it felt like it came free!! Yay!! Uh OH!! The ear broke right off the knuckle with the head of the bolt still stuck!! It is like friggin welded in there!!!

So after a trip to the junkyard and $80 bucks later I returned with a "used" knuckle complete with caliper, rotor, wheel bearing and lower ball joint.

I put it up in my vise and stripped it. Intending to replace the ball joint with my new one and put it in the car. Well after removing the pinch bolt nut I noticed this one was not going anywhere either!! So rather than break another one the ball joint on this part was pretty good so I put it in the car.

TECH or ANYONE

HOW THE HECK CAN I GET THESE THINGS OUT??

Heat? Torch it a bit then soak it in penetrating oil and repeat?

Drill it out? This is a P.I.T.A !!!

BTW, I now need to do the 2 on the wifes car and the 2 on my sister inlaws identical car.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I usually soak it good for a while then use a breaker bar working the bolt back and forth some till it comes free.

Do not try to force it loose right away try working it back and forth and see if it comes loose.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

best thing i have found is soaking it for a day. and then heating it up, then using an impact and it will usualy break free and twist out no issues. once you get even a 1/4 turn on it you should be able to pound it out with a good drift punch.