Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Here we go again: intake cam pretty tight

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here we go again: intake cam pretty tight

Hi guys,

So I got some more time today to work on the car, and got the cam cover installed. Did everything properly, tightened a tiny bit at a time until the cover drew all the way down. Did a few more things, and finally got to putting the timing belt back on. This is where I noticed that the intake cam was considerably tighter than the exhaust. I couldn't even move it by hand at first, but after a light tap with a hammer and extension on the sprocket it freed up. I can now position it by hand, but it takes way more force than the exhaust.

I am sure that I did the torque sequence properly, but just to be sure I backed all the bolts off a little bit at a time in reverse order and torqued again. Before I torqued again, I tried to give the intake cam a little wiggle and it was just as tight as it was before. I put a dollop of assembly grease on the bottom and top of each cam bearing surface before I assembled, so unless there's just a dry spot somewhere it should be fairly well lubricated.

Any ideas what gives? Is it perhaps normal for the intake cam to be tighter? I don't want to try and start the car and have the timing belt snap because of this.

As always, I'm grateful for any insight you can provide.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd just turn her over gently by hand several times initially till everything gets moving,feels and sounds all right. Hopefully?
It may free up with a few gentle revolutions by hand.
Then when you do start her up the cams will be similarly loaded.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:22 AM

Difflock, perhaps you're right. I got the timing belt on and turned her over by hand a good 10 times. Didn't feel any tighter than when I replaced the belt/tensioner a while back, at least when turning the crank. Belt happened to be a tooth off, though, so I got a chance to isolate the cams when I was redoing it. Intake is still tight as the dickens, though to a lesser degree than before. I now have a suspicion that the oil pooled at the back of the head (I poured a bit in after replacing the lifters just to make sure they stayed full of oi) may be responsible for the exhaust cam turning easier than the intake. Hmmmm....

Old 11-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe another member or two wiser in the ways of timing belts, camshafts and head replacements could offer some additional comments on this apparent tightness variation between the 2 cam assemblies prior to you attempting to start her up.
I can understand you being very wary about this.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

It is usually hard for me to turn the cams by hand. I wouldn't worry about it. Especially since you were able to turn it over by hand.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:02 PM

Alright, thank you fellas for the peace of mind. This car is turning out to be a can of worries, hopefully I'll have her running tonight or tomorrow after work though.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

It's normal to have some concerns when doing big jobs like timing related stuff for the first time.