Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Hey im back:)chip in key???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey im back:)chip in key???

Still random no start LOL we have moved on to the security system. Is the key chipped??? i didnt think so but was told to find out its a 95 btw Thanks again guys!!!

Old 03-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope not chipped.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

MAF, IAC, Vac leak, Fuel pressure, Cam Shaft Sensor.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:02 AM

whats IAC??? the others have been checked and rechecked If it was running in a default mode what would it do??? the reason i ask is we seemed to notice a spark pattern when we grounded out the coil out. sorta a 1234 gap then 1,2 then gap 1,2,3 ect ect. some times the spark was weak and other times very strong(coil swapped with working one as well as icm and all/most sensors) Have been using the car and it runs great the only othr thing is the cooling fan randomly will not turn on but other than those it goes like a champ!! got 25mpgs on the last tank so not that bad thanks for the info on the key!!

Old 03-19-2012, 12:10 AM

idle air control valve.

If it was running in any sort of alpha-n or limp home mode, it would have a CEL. I'm not sure what you mean by the spark pattern deal?

Old 03-19-2012, 12:36 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IAC, Idle Air Control motor or solenoid or valve. It's between the throttle body and the radiator.

Attached Thumbnails Hey im back:)chip in key???-idle-air-control-motor.jpg  
Old 03-20-2012, 08:52 PM

That was bad....however it did not hinder starting before. It has been replaced with a good one. By pattern i mean its not constantly sparking...just some times in the before mentioned intervals. It is tossing a cel the shop said lack of signal and to clean up my grounds. So i did that. The key i noticed is turning somewhat hard today...it has always been a bit stiff but today it was almost crunchy(ignition switch replaced btw) I was told about a "halo" around the key that could hinder starting. Anyone know about this??? We also tried to bypass the key...(green wire from starter right to batt) key on of course. it worked to roll it over but no start. Odd as it will roll start with no problem!! Thanks for the come back

Old 03-20-2012, 11:09 PM

Alright Phil. First off, you need to ask your shop to clarify. Lack of signal to what? What is the exact code your car a throwing. Without knowing that, you might as well try and fix it blindfolded. The problem could be your CPS, could be your, CKS, could be in the coil, Dis cap, rotor, plug wires, etc. Is this the same shop that tells you you "have a Halo" around the key? Stop beating that horse brother. There is no chip, halo, pixie dust, or voodoo spell in or around the key. Not on an 850. Not ragging on the person giving you this info, but with that advice, you might as well be chasing a chupracabra. Are you in Cali? If not, take your car to Autozone and get the code read and explained. Things will go so much faster, and you will save tons of dough on exedrine. I wish I could be of more help tonight. But the current info you have, is just way too ambiguous to even start taking an educated stab at you problem. That being said, pull the distributor, and clean the contacts and the rotor. If it looks really bad, that very well could be your problem.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:17 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by I am Phil
We also tried to bypass the key...(green wire from starter right to batt) key on of course. it worked to roll it over but no start. Odd as it will roll start with no problem!! Thanks for the come back
If you're going to bypass the ignition switch you should bypass the wire that powers up the ignition since it will turn over with the key all the time no matter if it starts or not. It's the ignition power you need to check to see if maybe you have an intermittent contact in the switch or you're losing it somewhere else before it gets to the coil. The ign switch may be new but it can still fail. As a matter of fact any bad new part is usually the worst thing to try and track down because you rule it out without testing because it is new or fairly new !!