Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Hood latch problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood latch problem

The hood latch on the drivers side will unlock but the other side will not.

How do I go about getting it freed up and opened?
850 wagon 1994

Old 11-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Have you tried to re-latch both sides again then give it a nice solid quick full pull.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:54 AM

Yes several times.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

On occasion by passenger side wont pop. You cant really tell but the latch has almost popped and the mechanism is sort of pivoting internally. I have to physically push down on the hood there to sort of reset it. Then I try again. Anyway, thought I would suggest it.

Two things are going on. One, the cross cable broke, two, there is just not enough pull on the cable. Since you can get the drivers side open you should be able to get your hand in there and with someone else pulling the lever inside the car you also pull on the tab that has the cross over cable.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

All of these strange quarks that 850's have can really send someone running for cover. Someone needs to make a good "Stage 0" write up of what someone should/could check from bumper to bumper to make sure they don't get stung like this, if that is even possible. From hood's not opening to parking brakes jamming, this can be tough on a new driver.

The lack of maintenance/repair history is really tough. I'm at the point of replacing the following as soon as I get one of these cars, just for good measure...

1. Timing Belt.
2. PCV
3. Fuel pump relay.
4. Ignition switch.
5. Parts in the 30 & 60k service recomendations.
6. Pull the door panels and inspect the latch clips.
7. Service the tranny.
Then go from there with problems.

I have heard a lot about the stage 0 process but haven't seen a good write up about the process.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:09 AM

I have tried pulling on the tab of the cross cable. I found that I could take a screw driver and latch the driver side with it and when I pull on the tab that the cross cable is hooked to the driver side releases the other does not.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry if you've tried this but have someone push the hood down to release pressure on the latch while someone else pulls the handle or the crossover cable.
Also try to see if you can up from underneath and spray it with a good penetrating lube.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:23 PM

Got it opened. Did some running around when I got back I put a blanket over the hood and waited a while and I also pushed down on the hood in that area before trying to open it. I have sprayed it down with WD40 followed by a good all temperature lube. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You all say push it down and try again which is the opposite of mine. I pop mine up and one side comes loose. Then I go out and pull it up as much as I can. Then go back and pull the latch in the car and the other side frees up. It's worked that way on 2 out of 4 of mine.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:13 PM

Sounds like Hood latch adjustments should be done every now and then, even if its just to snug up the bolts..

Little advise on the cables though... Spray them every oil change with "Cable Life" thats what I have done since the car was new and I have never had a cable problem, hood, brake, throttle or other..

Here is a link for the cable life--->Cable Life Cable Lube Kit - MotoDepot

I order it direct from the distributor thru the shop, but a can usually lasts me 3 or 4 years

Old 11-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The exact same part can wear out a couple different ways. Usually if it isn't releasing and you feel you're pulling that handle as much as you dare, taking the pressure off the latch(s) will allow the release mechanism to ... release. But it doesn't cure the problem. Either it needs a good cleaning and greasing, spray lithium is wonderful for latches and hinges as it's an aerosol and it sticks or it's time to shorten the cable, replace the cable or replace or adjust the latch.
Our latches are adjustable and if you install one too far down not only will the hood edge be below the fender edge but the rubber bumper will be trying to force the latch to NOT open because of the pressure.
My 88 chev PU opens after I pull the release and walk around front and bang my fist once right in the center. I've tried cleaning, lubing and it's just trained me to expect to need that "thump" to get it to open.
While you are at it, grease the safety release mechanism too! I couldn't get my hood open and found out it had pretty much seized in place. As often as I'm in there I didn't even think of it and at first it seemed it was the latch as the hood wouldn't pop up. Once I freed up those parts that articulate just behind the grill the hood popped up nicely.