Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

horn is broken, and when i brake going fast car pulls left

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation horn is broken, and when i brake going fast car pulls left

Ok the first problem is the horn. I believe its the steering wheel thats affecting it. I had my father unplug the cables to the actual horn so it would stop constantly beeping. On the left side of the steering wheel i can fit a finger in, although on the right side it is touching the rest of the wheel. Moreover, I cannot stop the horn from going off if it is not disconnected from under the hood.

Another problem is when i brake. On the highway or a fast backroad when i decide to step on the brakes the car pulls to the left, but the steering wheel moves right like its trying to fix itsself. Between the horn not working and the car pulling either way when i brake its gotten extremely annoying.

Also when going over bumps or uneven surfaces the front of the car makes all these weird noises. It sounds like a bad spring.

I know it seems like a lot of problems but it doesnt really affect the car from going. Are these problems serious, and if so any idea how/what to fix. Id like to do them myself.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are not necessarily bad problems but they are known high failure rate items. The braking issue is potentially a "bad thing".

You can buy a kit from Jeff at www.odometergears.com to fix the horn. If mine ever broke I would just leave it unplugged since chances are I would get a .357 round through my skull if I ever dared to use it.

The braking problem sounds like a stuck caliper. I had one on my '96 turbo and I got a replacement rebuilt OEM ATE at NAPA for somewhere around $75.00 with a core charge that matched the price of the part. It has worked perfectly.

The front end clunking could be a bunch of things. Jack up each wheel, check the ball joints, the tie rod ends, the sway bar end links but at the end of the day my guess is a bad spring seat. Look at the top of the struts under the hood to see if you have any significant movement in them as you press on the bumper. If they flop around you have a bad spring seat.

The struts need to be removed to replace the spring seats - I use XC90 spring seats on my 850s since they are stronger and only a few dollars more. If you need spring seats it is decision time on changing the struts themselves along with the seats since you are going through all of the same work to change just the seats or the seats and the struts.

Many of us have fixed all of this stuff and would be happy to assist you. Just post your questions as you go and any pictures you can provide to detail the question will help.

my 2¢,

...Lee

Last edited by Ozark Lee; 02-11-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

What he said <grin>

Old 02-11-2009, 02:03 PM
VJZ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also agree.

Caliper is stuck.

I would get new pads as well.