Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car pulling right Steering Wheel Pulls Left Under Braking

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car pulling right Steering Wheel Pulls Left Under Braking

I am having a problem with my S60 2.4t: under braking my car pulls right and steering wheel pulls left. The car drives perfectly strait under acceleration/deceleration it only happens under braking. This is what I have done so far.:

-Replaced front brake calipers and brake lines
-replaced right front wheel bearing it was bad, this helped a little.
-replaced both front control arms
-bleed the brake sytem.
-taken it to the alignment shop. They said the left caliper is still sticking, I replaced it again.
When I was bleeding the bakes this time I noticed the steam of fluid coming out of the bleeders was stronger on the right side, which would come out in a strong steady stream. The left side no matter how long it was bleed would kind of sputter out.
Could this be an issue with the left brake line circuit? (as I previously stated the lines are new)
I am absolutly stymied on this. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Old 07-28-2012, 07:37 PM

I suspect your brake master cylinder is bad - check it out

Old 07-29-2012, 07:06 PM

Thank you I will replace it this week as it has needed it. But, will a defective master cylinder affect brake pressure between the left and right?

Old 08-01-2012, 06:24 PM

Yes it will. If the bore or the rubber seals are worn out unevenly, there will definitely be uneven pressure. That is why brake fluid flush is recomended every 30k miles to remove particulates accumulating in the lines and cylinders.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:45 AM

Well, I finally got the problem fixed. Thanks for the help guys! ! But, it wasnt what we thought. After putting in a new master cylinder, which it needed anyway, the problem persisted. So, I got under the car with my Big Screwdriver to inspect the suspension bushings and ball joints, low and behold the "new" control arms that I installed just 6 months ago had bad bushings; the left LCA had a bad pivot bushing and the right LCA, a torn donut (rear) bushing. Astounding! Fortunately they were still under warranty so I was able to return them for credit towards LCA's with better bushings. I completed the installation last night and went for a test drive and the drama under braking is gone.
Lesson learned: Dont buy the cheapest LCA's from FCP Groton, even though they have a warranty its just not woth it when you have to go back and replace them after such a short period of use.