Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

how to clean fuel injector. 96 850 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to clean fuel injector. 96 850 turbo

replaced starter. car cranks but doesn't turn over brand new spark plugs and starter. car wants to start sounds like its about to start but doesn't. does anyone know how to clean fuel injectors yourself not take them to the shop? I think I have a clog in the fuel line somewhere possibly a line or maybe the fuel injector? can anyone tell me some home methods on how to clean the fuel injector or anyone have any advice? for the record I don't have a compression checker so that's not in my cards right now. NOTE. when the car died it barely had any gas in it and it sat for 2 days and when we started it it sputtered hard shut off and wouldn't start back up. tried to start it to no avail and fried the starter. starters replaced now but wont crank.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:34 PM

you can't really clean an injector properly without taking it completely apart. There are some good companies that do this. I've never personally had a "Clogged" injector at all. Have you checked your fuel pressure yet at the rail?

Old 03-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Crank = turn over. So, it is turning over.

I have NEVER heard of a car not starting because the injectors were clogged. Not your problem.

As explained in detail in your other thread, you need to have the compression checked. So, it looks like you need a new deck of cards. Trouble shooting is a process, that is the next step in the process.

Just a side note, when you ignore the advise of people here that are trying to help you, many of them will simply read and move on. They get paid to much to help other people.

Last edited by rspi; 03-27-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:54 PM

Injectors arent your problem..

Any way cleaning your injectors is easy.
You can make a injector cleaner for under $50.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:51 PM

thanks for all your help. I will do what I can. just a note of advice sarcasm is not going to help me fix my car. if your time is so valuable and expensive you should not follow people to other threads. food for thought

Old 03-26-2013, 02:19 PM

Nobody was being sarcastic, we were all stating that injectors are not you problem..

if you want help you need to give some more info... did it do this before you replaced the starter? or was that why you replaced the started..

Does it crank and just not start?

Do you have spark?
Do you have compression?
Do you have Fuel flow?

What exactly is happening?

If your going to be a jack *** about us saying that the injectors are 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 999999999999% not your problem nobody is going to help you but if you want to provide us with more information we will be happy to try and help.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Default how to clean fuel injector 96 850 turbo

first thing is to establish fuel. do you know how to check for fuel pressure at the fuel rail there is a line that runs up to the fuel rail on passenger side there u can disconnect the line and if gas comes out of it you have gas at least that far. i agre with the others injectors are not your issue. but since you were so low on gas it suggests more like the fuel filter maybe plugged it is on the passenger side back near rear door underneath if no fuel at the rail then pull the filter and see if you can blow thru it. if it isnt letting air thru it easily there is your prob. if that is ok then you have to see uif the fuel presure regulator is working unhook a vac. line from it and if it has gas in vac. line its no good it is attached to the fuel rail. I assume you unhooked the battery and let it reset the computer by leaving it disconnected for 15 min. has the weather been cold where you live this is what happened to me cause of bad gas and gas line froze and now it has computer telling it to supply too much gas and runs like crap. when cold runs good after hitting operating temp starts to miss bad and is flooding basically and when you said it tries to start but don't that sounds like the same thing mine was doing before i got it running after towing it from bad gas. but hopefully it wont be cause my issues still arent over yet now i have a p1310 code and cant find the code anywhere and my reader says definition not found. good luck

Old 03-26-2013, 03:57 PM

p1310 is a mis fire on at least one cyl with twc(three way cat) damage...

Its most likey a cap, rotor, and wire issue..

Old 03-26-2013, 04:14 PM

im going to check the fuel line at the rail and then check the fuel filter. is there anything I have to do before I do this like take out the battery or pull a fuse?

Old 03-26-2013, 05:28 PM

another note when i turn the key to 2 and leave it there with all the lights on. im guessing what is the throttle body is humming and wont stop until i take out the key. whats that about?

Old 03-26-2013, 06:51 PM

just checked the fuel filter. i disconnected it and blew thru it and air got through but it was a little hard to do. i took the hose off the front part of the filter and turned the key to acc and fuel came out so its not the filter. i went to the rail to try and find the line to check for fuel there but i don't know which is which. also another thing when i leave the key in acc a part in the throttle body hums and doesn't stop until i take the key
out is this normal?

Attached Thumbnails how to clean fuel injector. 96 850 turbo-sany3137.jpg  
Old 03-26-2013, 07:11 PM

Thats your IAC.. Its supposed to do that..

Do you have fuel at the schrader valve at the rail?
Is your pump kicking on?

Old 03-26-2013, 07:58 PM
Default how to clean fuel injector 96 850 turbo

there is no need to do any battery or fuse removal to check the fuel rail for fuel or for the fuel filter. this is just first things to check fuel, spark and compression. you can start at the fuel filter if you want to follow the fuel flow in the right order of where it goes first. as for your humming noise that is your fuel pump making that sound it means it is working.

as for my P1310 code why does it run perfect at cold start up and then after reaching normal operating temp start missing so bad i can't get it to barely go and stall, has no power seems the only way to get it to actually run well enough to get moving from dead stop or moving slowly is to only ever so lightly press on accelerator. if you would read my post on 97 850T-5 bad gas issues 3 months it has a very detailed info on what i have done to the car and what it does to give you a better understanding of all the details. it posted i think 2 days ago but not sure think it was in general topic room but not sure where it posted at as i am new on here and don't know how to get to specific places on the site yet Thank you

Old 03-26-2013, 08:32 PM

my fuel pump is kicking on. I don't know which one is the shrader valve or how to get to it. I see the aluminum covering of the fuel injectors with the 2 12mm bolts I undid the bolts but now what? I don't want to break anything so that's why im asking before doing. also im going to check for spark but as I said the engine doesn't turn on so how do I check the spark plugs for spark? I heard something about a screwdriver but I don't know what to do. the car is at my father inlaws house so I can only work on it at certain times and on borrowed tools. a mechanic said to check the cam sensor. can someone tell or show me a picture of where it is? when I pull the plugs this sunday what do I do if the plugs are wet with fuel besides letting them dry out? what does it mean if they are wet?

Old 03-26-2013, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by burberry
my fuel pump is kicking on. I don't know which one is the shrader valve or how to get to it. I see the aluminum covering of the fuel injectors with the 2 12mm bolts I undid the bolts but now what? I don't want to break anything so that's why im asking before doing. also im going to check for spark but as I said the engine doesn't turn on so how do I check the spark plugs for spark? I heard something about a screwdriver but I don't know what to do. the car is at my father inlaws house so I can only work on it at certain times and on borrowed tools. a mechanic said to check the cam sensor. can someone tell or show me a picture of where it is? when I pull the plugs this sunday what do I do if the plugs are wet with fuel besides letting them dry out? what does it mean if they are wet?
Ok so it sounds like you have no clue what your doing...
Not to be a dick or anything but STOP where you are and take your car to a shop before you damage something or hurt yourself..

Seriously

But a couple things for you to consider...

The motor doesnt need to start to check spark, it just needs to crank.
The schrader valve is at the end of the fuel rail.

and you never answered the questions from before.... When was the first time the car didnt start? before or after you replaced the starter?

Old 03-26-2013, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rexneffect28
as for your humming noise that is your fuel pump making that sound it means it is working.
If the sound is coming from the motor around the t-body its the IAC...

I cant find your other thread, can you find it an put the link here please?

Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 PM

the car stopped working before the starter died. car had barely any gas drove it to in laws house. car sat in the street for the weekend and then on Monday it started chugged very hard and died and would not turn on again. starter was old and fried from trying to start it so I replaced it and this is where im at.

not to be a dick back but im on this site for help because I cant go to a mechanic. im trying to do everything myself. no I don't know everything im doing or what everything is called or where its located that's why im reaching out to you guys for help.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Question how to clean fuel injector 96 850 turbo

yes that IAC is supposed to do that its fine but a partially plugged fuel filter can result in not enough fuel to run but may not be the prob. did you take off a vacuum line at the fuel pressure regulator if you are standing in front of car it is covered on the underside of the fuel rail on the left end side of fuel rail

Old 03-26-2013, 09:04 PM

when I have the 2 12mm bolts off the rail do I just pull it up hard or what?

Old 03-26-2013, 09:27 PM

NO !!!
Put the bolts back in... Do NOT pull the injectors...
You will tear the o-rings and be screwed until you are able to get a replacement set

The schrader valve is here
Name:  LzTZ0xR.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  116.4 KB

Stupid question but have you put more than 5 gallons in the tank??

The only reason I say to bring it to a shop is because your going to screw something up and probably catch your car on fire if you f up the injector o-rings..

Quick Reply: how to clean fuel injector. 96 850 turbo