Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

how to clean fuel injector. 96 850 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by burberry
thanks for all your help. I will do what I can. just a note of advice sarcasm is not going to help me fix my car. if your time is so valuable and expensive you should not follow people to other threads. food for thought
This was his way of telling me to F-OFF. Which is fine with me. Saves me a lot of time of making "HOW TO" videos for him.

Here is his other thread for the same problem:
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...t-start-69861/

Old 03-26-2013, 10:02 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The schrader valve is the valve that looks similar to the valve stem of a tire. It's hiding under the plastic cover that protects the throttle linkage.
Fuel pressure gauges are sometimes available as a loan from auto parts stores. You should have around 43 psi. If you have a clogged fuel filter you might get the right pressure but not enough volume for the engine to run or start. You need both but that's for another time. First find out if you have the pressure.

Once you have the bolts off you wiggle it up. If you have taken the fuel lines loose then the only thing holding it down should be the "O" ring seals between the injectors and the head.
Not the best but read this: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=25331

When you turn the key to "start" and the engine starts to crank or turn over it should be squirting fuel and the spark plugs should be firing. If not it won't start. Sounds familiar ?? To check spark you take one of the ignition wires either the one from the coil to the cap loose at the cap or one off the spark plug at the plug. Then you put a screw driver into the wires end and hold it within a 1/4" of something metal that will allow a spark to jump to it. That is how you check. You want to be careful of the 25 to 40 thousand volts that produce that spark as you can get one hell of a shock if you're not careful. OR ,, you can put a spark plug into the end of the wire and lay it on something metal.
Remember if you pull the ignition coils wire and you get a good spark it doesn't indicate that it's getting to the engine. You could still have a bad distributor cap or rotor. If you check the coils wire and it's good, check at the end of the spark plug wire to make sure it's getting there. If the wires are getting old and cracking they can be shorting out too. Picture 3

If you don't know, listed and learn. If you have thin skin you're in trouble and we will all needle you. We do it to each other so don't even dream we won't give you a little grief. If you just swallow hard we will teach you and pretty soon you'll be the guy slapping the new kid in the back of the head. :-)

If someone is nasty there are moderators that can take care of that. You'll see moderator in the box by there name. If it's a moderator or someone with a lot of posts giving you a bad time it's likely you aren't listening or you missed some point completely.

Last point, we will hunt you down. We've been here longer and we feel we belong and you're just the new guy. I'm not trying to be harsh but it's reality. What can you do to help us . . . . . I'm sorry . . . . . exactly?

Right now you don't know how to explain the difference between an engine cranking (without firing) and an engine cranking and firing but not running and firing & running. So forgive us if we get your terminology straightened out first because for me I have to understand what you're trying to say.
On the other hand if you say the funny little thing on the back of the firewall that looks like a horn ... no one is going to make fun of you as I'm sure none of us knew what the hell that thing was when we opened the hood for the first time.
Also if you don't know but can post a picture or give a description of the "thing with the electrical connector to the left of the other thing" we will do our best to figure it out. We are here to help and we will but you have to pay us with a little of your dignity, we don't take cash !!

Attached Thumbnails how to clean fuel injector. 96 850 turbo-fuel-rail-schrader-valve-covered.jpg   how to clean fuel injector. 96 850 turbo-fuel-rail-schrader-valve.jpg   how to clean fuel injector. 96 850 turbo-spark-plug-wires-arching.jpg   how to clean fuel injector. 96 850 turbo-testing-spark-1.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 03-26-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Administrator

[QUOTE=rspi;347701]This was his way of telling me to F-OFF. Which is fine with me. Saves me a lot of time of making "HOW TO" videos for him.

Robert ??? I didn't know you had a video of how to pull your head out of your ***. I could have use that one a couple of times by now

Old 03-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might or might not help, but its worth a shot. And it's pretty hard to screw up.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...p-relay-64044/

Old 03-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Administrator

How to clean fuel injectors : your original question. IMHO, with each LOF toss in a bottle of Lucas fuel injector cleaner.
They can be disassembled but if they are that bad you might as well replace them and flush the entire system and tank if they are that bad. Again that's just my opinion.

You said:
if I pull the plugs and they are wet with fuel what do I do? do I pull the plugs out and let them dry?

Best to replace them but I'd wait till you find the problem and it's running. For now if you have or can borrow a propane torch it does a great job of burning off the gas from places you can't get to. Second best is blow them dry, lastly lay them out in the sun.

I will check if the cam turns and if the timing belt is ok. my guess is the timing belt is fine and the cam is turning.

Easy thing to do is unscrew the distributor cap and see if the rotor turns when you crank the engine. It will tell you if it's all turning and it gives you a chance to see how clean the inside of the cap is and how chewed up the end of the rotor is.

could the cam sensor or crankshaft sensor have anything to do with it?

Definitely. If they fail you will be missing injector pulse and or ignition pulse. If you are getting wet plugs you know you have injector pulse.

as I said when I crank the car everything sounds fine and the engine sounds as if it is about to turn over but it just sounds like fuel is not getting to the engine.

Have you tried something really simple like just squirting some starting fluid in there to see if it pops ??

when I tested the relay on a continuity tester 2 at a time some of them barely lit the light up so does that mean the relay is faulty?

No. You need to look at the diagram. A relay is an ON OFF switch operated by an electromagnet. For a four terminal fuel pump one set should have a resistance but have continuity while the other set shows OPEN or infinate resistance. The OPEN set close when power is sent to the magnet set.
To properly test a relay you need to test it RESTING and ENERGIZED by applying the correct voltage to the magnet. Then there is the chance it has burned contacts which will test good but have too high a resistance to effectively pass the proper amount of current. That's another thread also

when the fuel pumps were changed I did not change the relay and some people have said that that should be the case. is there a way I can clean the fuel line or possibly blow it clean?

The relay could be a problem but you're saying the plugs are wet so I doubt it's your problem. At this point don't ask Rspi what your problem is as I'd hate to see the answer First check the fuel pressure at that valve. And before that, check to see if you have spark first as I'm thinking your fuel side is good.

Attached Thumbnails how to clean fuel injector. 96 850 turbo-lucas-fi-cleaner-10003.jpg   how to clean fuel injector. 96 850 turbo-fuel-injection-spray-patterns.jpg   how to clean fuel injector. 96 850 turbo-relay-wiring-schematic.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 03-26-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:41 PM

I have tried spraying starter fluid through the top part of the air filter box through the grated part and the cranking sounds the same really. I will check for spark check if the plugs are wet unscrew the distributor cap and check the rotor and if somehow I do come across the fuel pressure gage I will check that but that will not likely be for a while as I can NOT get that right now and I will report back but as I said I can only work on the car at certain times such as easter sunday. if there is anything else besides fuel pressure that I can check as to why it wont start please let me kno asap. again thank you for all your help

Old 03-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Administrator

I don't think there is much to do until you check for spark. I wouldn't bother to get a fuel pressure tester yet. If it's no spark we can tell you some stuff but it's just too much to go into everything it could be until you narrow it down a little.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:29 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
Robert ??? I didn't know you had a video of how to pull your head out of your ***. I could have use that one a couple of times by now

Old 03-27-2013, 05:39 PM

Im only going to ask this one more time and then Im done in this thread... It has become a waste of server space... Since you ran the car out of gas have you filled it up with at least 5 gallons????

BTW this is the post im referring to it sound like you ran out of gas
Originally Posted by burberry
car had barely any gas drove it to in laws house. car sat in the street for the weekend and then on Monday it started chugged very hard and died and would not turn on again. starter was old and fried from trying to start it

Last edited by MattyXXL; 03-27-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:21 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I know my Dad would sure have said I was out of gas if I did all that. That was always his first question.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:21 PM

yes the car was filled with more than 5 gallons of gas. sorry forgot to answer that

Old 03-28-2013, 07:35 AM

Ok here is what you need to do... Your going to need some one to help you as a extra set of hands and ears..

1. remove the fuel pump cover.

2. Have some one listen right above the fuel pump as you turn the key to position 2... JUST turn the key to position 2 do not attempt to crank the car. When you turn the key to position 2 the fuel pump will prime for 3 to 5 seconds, they will hear it kick on and start humming then shut off..

3. If it kicks on your fuel pump is working.

4. If it doesnt kick on then you have either a bad fuel pump or a stuck relay

Lets assume it kicked on..

5. grab a rag and a flat heat screw driver

6. turn the key to position 2 again and go under the hood and depress the shradder valve to see if there is fuel pressure, holding the rag under and in front so not to get gas every where..

If fuel sprays out you have fuel to the rail... done and done..

Now you need to check for spark most people dont have a spark tester so here is the easiest way to check..

1. Get a spare spark plug, it doesnt matter what its from it could be a lawn mower plug.

2. remove the boot off of one of your plugs...

3. Plug the spare plug into that boot.

4. Pull your fuel pump relay

5. hold the rubber part of the boot while holding the tread ( On the side by the crush washer) of the plug aginst the valve cove ground bolt. Thats on the back of the valve cover where the braided cable attaches from the firewall to the motor..

6. Have some one crank the car while holding the plug to that ground while they crank looks for spark

If you have spark your good

If you dont then you need to start diagnosing no spark

Do these steps first and report back..

Dont go pulling the fuel rail or extending the battery cables... just do these two things first and report back..

Old 03-28-2013, 01:07 PM
Talking

if I cant get my hands on a spare spark plug can I use one of the ones that's in there? also the fuel pump does kick on everytime perfectly. I kno this might not matter but the fuel pump was brand new because the car sat for about 4 years (tires never deflated or went bad) but as I said the fuel pump is brand new and hums perfectly everytime. I will do these tests on easter sunday being the only day I can work on it coming up. I really appreciate all the help and REALLY appreciate the non condescending comments

Old 03-28-2013, 02:59 PM

a friend of mine has an OBD 2 scanner. can I use this with the car not turning on? and does it need a special Volvo cartridge?

Old 03-28-2013, 05:42 PM

a standard obd 2 scanner doesnt need a special chip, your thinking of the snap-on scanners..

But beware when your car throws codes during a no start issue it will most likely throw false codes.

For example the first time I did my pcv I put the small bracket that holds the lines to the block in between the intake manifold and the block not on top of the intake mani like it was supposed to..

This created a air leak.. The car threw a tps code, a 02 code and a twc dammage code..

It you pass buy a auto parts store pick up a cheap $1.40 spark plug... It will come in handy

Old 03-30-2013, 04:58 PM

I plugged in the scanner and 0 codes came up. I checked for fuel pressure at the valve and there is plenty of pressure don't know exactly how much. I pulled the spark plugs and they are wet with gas and are black. I removed them to let them dry and clean them... any feedback as to this being why the car wont start?

Old 03-30-2013, 05:13 PM

Try replacing the plusg... if they were black you may have fouled them..

Did you put a plug in the wire and see if you have spark?

Old 03-30-2013, 05:18 PM

no I did not have a chance to pick up a spare spark plug so can I try to use one of the ones I pulled.? also as I said I pulled all 5 they were black but still look good so I cleaned them and got all the black out and am now letting them dry. if I plug in the plug to check for spark can I try to turn the car on to check for spark with no spark plugs in and can the plugs be in with no spark plug in there or should I take the plugs out? when I go to turn the car on with no plugs or wires in there is it going to blow whatevers in there out?

Old 03-30-2013, 05:59 PM

Yes you can use one of the old plugs but pull the fuel pump relay so your not filling the cylinders with gas

Old 03-30-2013, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by MattyXXL
Yes you can use one of the old plugs but pull the fuel pump relay so your not filling the cylinders with gas
Or the fuse. The fuse is much easier to get to.

Quick Reply: how to clean fuel injector. 96 850 turbo