Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Huge coolant leak, engine thingy missing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge coolant leak, engine thingy missing.

Okay, now that I've used the riveting term "engine thingy", I think I have your attention.

Two problems for you. My old '96 850 GLT is having some major issues. The PCV system needs cleaning or replacing, I know that much. And I'm fairly certain the head gasket's on its way out.

Quick facts:

• Slow oil consumption, no leak
• Big coolant leak, even when car is off
• No oil in the coolant, no foamy residue in the oil
• Coolant needs refilling at least once a week

Now, I have an S60 now, but my little brother drives this to his internship job. I've put the fear of God into him to check the oil and coolant before he leaves anywhere. So far it hasn't overheated or run dry, so my scare tactics must be working (to understand fully, he's getting a full ride engineering degree to college in the fall but he can barely tie his own shoes).

Onto the issues.

I haven't gotten under the car (it's been averaging in the 100°s here for quite some time), but the coolant leak seems to be coming from the driver's side of the radiator. It leaks even when the car hasn't been running for days, but it's not constant. I seems to leak most during the heat of the day in these cases. Now, like I said, I know the PCV system is shot, and I'm almost certain the head gasket is on a southbound train to hell, but could this major leak be mainly a problem with the radiator? I honestly don't know all that much about mechanical things, but I know the basics and I've picked up a great deal more from the fine people on this board. Should I check to see if the radiator plug (if this car even has one) is loose? Or if it's just a leaky hose? I hate to be depositing so much coolant into the environment (if it were my choice the car wouldn't be driven until this is figured out, but money's tight at the house and a few bottles of coolant every month is cheaper than buying him a car).

And problem #2, what the heck is this engine thingy called?

Name:  26307866547318933878IM125565x421_A-1.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  33.2 KB

Because it's missing in my car…

Is it dangerous for the engine to run it without it? Is the part cheap and can I replace it myself? I don't know how long it's been missing, but I just happened to notice it when checking fluid about a month ago.

And thanks to everyone on this board who've saved me thousands on repairs since I got this car for my 17th birthday eight years ago!

Old 07-26-2012, 12:10 AM

Maybe its the heater core or radiator? I had the same problem in my s70 and had to replace both. Do you think you can narrow down where the leak is coming from? If its the heater core, you should be able to smell the coolant vapor coming through the air vents. If its the radiator, you should find crystallized coolant on the bottom. Both are not hard fixes and with patience you should be able to do yourself. That top piece I believe is the top engine support, definitely look into replacing that soon. I bet you could ****** one off another 850, s70, c70, or v70 at a junkyard. What type of engineering is your bro doing? I'm an EE major.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:09 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi and welcome to VolvoForums.

If you know that the rad leaks that is likely the source of all of your coolant problems. Same goes for the PCV and any oil situation you have.

Now, let me ask ... would it be cheaper to drop $200 in this car to keep it on the road or let your brother slip up and let it run out of coolant and over heat which will surely destroy the head gasket?

These plastic radiators last about 15 years tops, so, most junk yard 850's have newer rads in them. Go get one. The PCV should be replaced new as with the upper torque mount.

Money is tight with most people that drive 15+ year old cars, duh! (That's why we drive old cars and try to act proud of it). Find a friend, flatter a pretty girl that has money, hustle a little, between the two of you $200 is nothing.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:28 PM

your s60 shouldnt have that "engine thingy" its just a upper motor mount haha they are fairly cheap at junk yards and if you buy a new one put a polyurethane bushing in it while you're at it and you wont have to touch it for another 20 years

Old 07-27-2012, 08:27 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Correction, your car SHOULD have that ENGINE THINGY. A poly bushing will transmit vibration into the car at starting speeds. You will likely prefer the OEM bushing that you need to change every 7 to 10 years.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rspi
Money is tight with most people that drive 15+ year old cars, duh! (That's why we drive old cars and try to act proud of it).
+10 internetz for that statement. LOL

Old 07-27-2012, 11:50 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I went with the polyurethane mount. Haven't had any problem with vibration and it's a breeze to install.

My blue mount, broken stock style mount and picture of the mount as it comes from IPD or VIVA.

Attached Thumbnails Huge coolant leak, engine thingy missing.-engine-mount-upper-poly-ipd.jpg   Huge coolant leak, engine thingy missing.-engine-mount-upper-broken.jpg   Huge coolant leak, engine thingy missing.-engine-mount-upper-poly-viva.jpg  
Old 07-28-2012, 04:59 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone!